What's new

Creek Finds 11/27/15

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went downstream to look around the old snake lair, as we call it and found a nice flake and of course a shard 8-) The pics are when it was wet but when it's dry it's dull, not sure what the material is but thinking maybe argillite. Also, I've added a couple of pics of the creek further downstream that we went to check on since it was such a nice day here today. Thanks for looking! HH
WP_20151127_001.webpWP_20151127_003.webpWP_20151127_004.webpWP_20151127_008.webpWP_20151127_009.webpWP_20151127_010.webpWP_20151126_002.webpWP_20151126_003.webp
 
Upvote 0
Sure is a nice looking creek good to find something on pretty day.
 
Love the color on that flake. The day's coming when you're gonna come out of that creek with a killer point and I can't wait.
 
Love the color on that flake. The day's coming when you're gonna come out of that creek with a killer point and I can't wait.

I believe that will happen too. Nice finds.
 
Thanks guys and I'm hoping to find some points made out of that and the gray flint I find someday soon. Today is supposed to be warmer than yesterday so I'll be back out this afternoon. It's supposed to be rainy all next week so hoping it will wash it out again.
 
Looks to have a bit of damage on it. We call those big flakes flakers which made for a nice quick scraper. Does it have edge work on it?
 
Found 2 more shards today (11/28) in the same general spot as the finds in this thread. I've been raking with my hand leaf rake the plants growing around the edge of the creek on one side, this spot is a straight spot with lots of rocks. One more day left on my stay-cation so hoping to find a point but pottery is ok too and I love it.
WP_20151128_001.webpWP_20151128_002.webp
 
Cord marked it looks like. What period? Woodland
 
That a pretty good size scraper you found there.nice looking creek.Them leaves are a pain in the butt aint they
 
That a pretty good size scraper you found there.nice looking creek.Them leaves are a pain in the butt aint they

Yes it's the largest one I've found yet. Yesterday I found another flake, same material in the sand in that same area and was headed further downstream but the rain started so I'm done until next weekend. Good thing is we cleared some of the leaf buildup out of the creek to help the water flow better, but yes the leaves are a pain in the butt. Here's some pics of the flake:
WP_20151129_001.webpWP_20151129_002.webpWP_20151129_003.webp
 
Nice material! If you want to create a nice gravel bar lay a big tree section at a angle so the water will twist behind it. Then all you need is for the sand to build up behind it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom