Creek hunt in Missouri 7-5-08

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out and hunted one of my favorite creeks and found a really pretty side notch made of beautiful flint, another side notch type and a heartbreaker of a birdpoint.

DSC09789.jpg

DSC09793.jpg

DSC09794.jpg

DSC09792.jpg

DSC09795.jpg

DSC09796.jpg

DSC09797.jpg

DSC09798.jpg

May your next hunt be your best hunt EVER!!!

Steve

Upvote 0

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Steve,
If that colorful point was found here in Ohio, everyone would consider that flint ridge material. Dont know if there was a trade route that far, even tho I have seen pieces from Kentucky and Indiana that were made from the ridge.Very nice finds by the way. You have been racking up this year. How many Sedalia points complete and broken do you suppose you have found on your site? How long have you been digging the Sedalia site? How big do you think the site might be? Love seeing the posts you put up. The stuff you find in a week blows my finds for a year away. I may be getting layed off soon , if you need any help digging that site just give me a holler!

Happy Huntin', Bent-Twig.

OP
OP
StevefromMissouri

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bent-Twig said:
Steve,
If that colorful point was found here in Ohio, everyone would consider that flint ridge material. Dont know if there was a trade route that far, even tho I have seen pieces from Kentucky and Indiana that were made from the ridge.Very nice finds by the way. You have been racking up this year. How many Sedalia points complete and broken do you suppose you have found on your site? How long have you been digging the Sedalia site? How big do you think the site might be? Love seeing the posts you put up. The stuff you find in a week blows my finds for a year away. I may be getting layed off soon , if you need any help digging that site just give me a holler!

Happy Huntin', Bent-Twig

You know, I was wondering if it might be flint ridge, but I know I find quite a bit of heat treated stuff around here. (I am near KC). I find so much wild flint around here. This area was settled on the cross paths of two ancient Indian trails--one that went east/west and one that went north/south.

I have been digging the Sedalia site for about 8 years. I own 38 acres and the about half of that is in pasture. That is where I am digging right now. The site is split up with a Sedalia site on one side and an "eared" point site on the other, but you can find both anywhere in the field. As far as total site acreage, I would say 20-25 acres are pretty good with some of that still in the trees. I would really like to get to the end with the ears because there have been Daltons, Redstones, Dovetails, Hardins, etc. come from that end. I am having a hard time getting in the hole because it does not drain well. Then, as soon as it dries up, the soil is rock hard. That side hasn't been dug on for nearly 6 years and the flint line is really deep. The Sedalia side drains, and stays able to dig much longer. I have tried sifting, but the soil just doesn't sift well.

sixgun

Jul 6, 2008
StevefromMissouri said:
Got out and hunted one of my favorite creeks and found a really pretty side notch made of beautiful flint, another side notch type and a heartbreaker of a birdpoint.

DSC09789.jpg

DSC09793.jpg

DSC09794.jpg

DSC09792.jpg

DSC09795.jpg

DSC09796.jpg

DSC09797.jpg

DSC09798.jpg

May your next hunt be your best hunt EVER!!!

Steve
nice creek finds.I agree that one looks alot like flintridge.I find some in Southern parts of Ohio.Real nice,

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
it's high quality Burlington. Yes, Burlington can even come in translucent forms. In fact, it's one of the most diverse lithics there is, from Crescent Quarry, Variegated, Springfield, Warsaw and other variants.

Nice finds Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread