What's new

Creepy Guys

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get this when I am metal detecting. Folks always want to know what I am doing and if I find anything. Generally I tell them I am the "Queen of Pull-Tabs" while out metal detecting. But the other day I was at the coin counter in the front lobby of one of my dump banks. This area is enclosed by glass doors that lead into the main bank. A guy gets right up next to me and begins to touch my coins in the tray as they are being dropped into the counter bucket. Geez! I ask him as politely as possible to move back as the coins I am about to dump are heavy for me. He was offended. At this point I am miffed, and tell him my transactions are private at my bank. Then, he stood there with his mouth agape. I said, do you want me to go to the teller with you when you make a transaction and touch the money she hands you? He walked away in a huff. My southern hair gets on end when gentlemen do not act like gentlemen.

Folks tend to congregate near me when I am dumping large amount of coins. Does anyone else experience this?

Mr. Apush has been with me on a few dump trips, and its even happened with my husband right there. He was not as polite as Mrs. Apush. :laughing9:

LOL

APUSH
 
Upvote 0
Probably CRHers wanting to get a closer look, hoping you are dumping some old inherited coin collection. :D
 
teller this week was picking them up... I mentioned what i do but i don't think he was even looking at them for silver. people look at halves as if they are fake... had an old man once look at them a few times and kept calling them dollars i kept saying no halves...

make a shirt
No questions
No comments
No talking
Busy here
 
I can totally relate to this type of thing.

At my one bank that has the self service coin counter I sometimes have pushy onlookers who feel they can come right up and stand next to you to see what you are dumping. I would not tolerate someone actually reaching in and touching the coins. I have never had that happen.

But it does bug me when people come up and ask questions or get too close. I agree with the other poster that most likely they are thinking that maybe I am dumping grandpa's silver collection.

I used to be more polite when people would do this, but now I just ignore them or give them a look (like its none of your business type look). It really is none of their business, and like Apush said how would they feel if I walked up to the teller with them when they are doing their transaction and look over their shoulder and ask questions.

Jim
 
Apush:
The next time that happens, look at them, make a face, and ask, LOUDLY, "Did you mess yourself?"

d2arching:
Another good shirt idea is one that reads, "Before you ask........
it's none of your business!!"
 
If it's halves you are dumping they usually gawk because of the noise and then they see coins that haven't been circulated for years.
I ask them how many they would like to buy and sell them right out of the hopper to them.

On the other hand, I've been at the teller's window and heard silver being dumped into the counter.
I race over and buy everything they've hauled in!
 
APUSH,

It likely had more to do with you being a cute woman than the coins that were in the hopper.

Best-Mike
 
Probably goes back to an American's natural desire to dump every dime they own into a slot machine........hey, just get yourself a sidearm, might dissuade ignorant persons that just can't take the hint!
 
its just rude blood thirsty silver pirates hoping your a silver dumping moron --- look all you want (hey its still a free country for now at least)---but you toucha my coins --you'll draw back a stump pal.
 
I havent had an adult do that before. I have multiple times had kids come up and grab coins out of the reject tray right between my legs though. The ones who are small and calm I usually dont mind as their parents get control quickly. However the kids that are usually running around totally out of control whose parents pay 0 attention I have a very different special reaction that works everytime and id imagine it would work on your feller who doesnt realize a gentlemen should keep his hands to himself. Try this apush.

Make one really loud barking noise while at the same time moving your open mouth within an inch or 2 of their hand while said hand is trying to touch what doesnt belong to them. The reaction you receive is quite distinct. You see even though manners can be lost on the ignorant we are each born with the instinct to know that when our hands are in someone elses cookie jar that getting bit is likely.

Not only does this solve the problem and remove the person who invaded your space but you wont even have explain yourself as they will be to busy wondering what the @#$# just happened. :laughing7:
 
LOL. I love all the "unique" suggestions. Guess its just been one of those weeks. The weather is changing a bit with a cool front that has recently moved in (106 degrees to 95 degrees) so I reckon some of the nut cases are getting out more. :laughing9:

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
Usually people make some type of comment when I'm dumping but I always have a large quantity of coins which shocks them. I'm sure you being an attractive woman get more comments then a lot of us here. Once when I was in my dump bank there was a lady dumping coins out of a pickle bucket into a counter and I approached. The tray was full of wheats and other odd coins. I asked her if I could grab some out of the tray as they went through. She was fine and I pulled $3 in wheats plus a bunch of old foreign coins including a couple late 1800's silver France and Switzerland coins, a silver 1939 nazi coin and some other cool things. I missed out on $400 in coins she had already dumped...she said they had collected them for about a decade. That was the only time I have seen anyone besides me pour more than $700 into a sorter so I'm guessing that most people in a bank haven't seen what us CRH's do. ;D

Maine_Jim
 
I usually don't have any problem except for the occasional curious kid, but I tend to go at off hours when the bank won't be busy which helps avoid most of the fuss.

I am more likely to get comments when I am carrying (or carting) out bags of coins out of the bank than I do when I am cashing them in.

I've never had anyone touch or even come close to touching them. And with the exception of a couple machines I know that like to reject good halves and one that rejects some good nickels, I don't get many rejects.

I have never come across anyone cashing in a collection as the machine is rarely in use when I get there and there is rarely a line behind me when I am done.
 
wow! thats just rude...once i was dumping like 130 dollars in pennies, and two little annoying kids came over and started bothering me and trying to offend me for ex: they said "so how long did it take u 2 picck all those up off the street?" they said rudly...i said rudly back something about how i dont pick em up off the street, and there were other little annoying things they did like stand there the whole time...2 inches from me, and watched the whole time as i dumped 130 friking dollars in the machine...it was getting really annoying...keep it up and hh!
 
I tell them to go have a seat cause I'm gonna be a WHILE. HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom