CRH: Clues and cues when searching for that "big find"

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing CRH rather obsessively since mid-2011. I have a rotation of banks that I visit en route to work daily and often modify my route to take me past as many banks as possible.

Early this year, I passed by a newly-opened branch that I hadn't considered previously due to its newness. Stopped in, checked my balances, and asked for my usual "old bills, half dollars, and "big" Eisenhower dollars." One of the tellers held up an older brown paper Brandt roll that looked like it had come straight out of the 1930s. I took it and repeated the request for halves. Someone else had taken them already.

Now I don't typically ask for quarters, but for whatever reason, I did this time. $50 worth. Teller came back from the vault with a newer type of CWR that is crimped on one end and folded on the other, so I could see some of the coins. All silver enders. The light bulb in my head flickered on and I asked for another $300 in quarters, apologetically. She came back with more, some in identical wrappers.

When I got back to the car, I saw that three more of the rolls had silver enders. I opened the eight obvious rolls. There were a few CuNi coins in a sea of silver--effectively solid rolls. The remaining rolls were overwhelmingly CuNi with some silver stragglers.

Later that evening, it occurred to me that I hadn't thought very quickly or thoroughly. A logical assumption would be to think that any quantity of silver quarters should be accompanied by a similarly large quantity of silver dimes. And so I made it out to the same branch the following morning. I cleaned them out of their remaining CWR coin (which was only about $350).

Perhaps it was mere coincidence and fortune, but five rolls of silver dimes later, I came to the following conclusions:

1. If there are any rolls of "unusual" coins in old wrappers, there may be rolls of old quarters and dimes lurking around. Ask for a sampling, examine them, and return for more. If their contents are obviously keepers, take all that they are willing to exchange for on the spot.

2. The presence of old bills may also be another clue. I routinely ask for early currency and got a roll of 40% halves along with some '60s FRNs at another bank.

BTW, that dollar roll only had Ikes.

Upvote 0
Any '83 P or D quarters in the group?

I'm not sure if there were any because the only clads I typically pick up on are proofs (or in the case of halves, NIFCs as well) due to the sharp reeding on their edges. Of the clads that were present, I saved all the 1965-1970 stuff because they were in atypically nice shape.

Great post! I think one of the big takeaways I get from your story is that you never know where you will find silver.

I think your two conclusions are spot on. I have always been so focused on halves that I never even thought about the idea that there could be silver dimes and quarters along with finds of silver halves. It may be a bit late, but this has inspired me to go back to a branch that produced four solid silver half rolls about a month ago and see if they have any CWR dimes and quarters.

Huh. This story has me thinking...my best score ever in terms of percent of silver coins found at a bank in CWR was when I once found 7 silver halves in 5 rolls of halves. Your point is once you hit that one, ask for all the quarters and dimes. I think I agree with that tactic and am dismayed that I haven't thought of it before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back