Can't wait to see what March brings!

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't wanted to post my CRH results because, well I thought I got skunked.
I went to my local bank and got a box of half dollars and a week later, a box of dimes.

On the box of dimes I got, they were wrapped in clear plastic, so I didn't have to unroll most of the rolls as I could see the glint of red on almost every edge. There were a few suspect coins which I dug out, but turned out they were just older or dirtier than the rest but not silver.

On the box of halves I got, I unwrapped everything and there was no silver visible - at least by edge.
There were tons of bi-centennial dated ones and there were also at least two dozen or more coins that had been marked with sharpie or magic marker, so that told me someone else had already searched a lot of what I was looking at. So I got discouraged and turned them all back in the following week.

THEN IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF SILVER.
I don't know what dates were the 40%, what dates were the 90% and what else I might have missed...
I was only looking for the obvious silver color. I think I screwed up and turned back in at least a handful of coin with silver content. I thought only pre- 1964 would be silver worth keeping but I was only guessing at that.

If I remember right, (which obviously I seldom do) someone previously posted what dates were what silver content but I can't find that post anywhere. Can you CRHunters let me know what dates are keepers?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my mission was to get 1 stinkin silver quarter, I did 4 boxes of them and got zilch - zip - nadda!!!!! I have done quarter boxes in the past and never find any. Oh well, if it was easy everybody would find them. After that staggering defeat I then moved over to dimes, I got 2 boxes both dated Nov 21, 2008. The first box was a bust too so I just went home and waited till I was at my night job to go through the last box. Well I just finnished it and it was a good one. It had 8 silvers in it, 2 of them being Mercs. Not the best day concidering I went through $2,500 and only got 8 dimes to show for it. LOL

On a better note, this is only the 2nd time that I have found more than 1 Merc in a single box!!!

Attachments

• 100_2818.JPG
    100_2818.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_2818.JPG
    100_2818.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 108

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo South Elgin said:
THEN IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF SILVER.
I don't know what dates were the 40%, what dates were the 90% and what else I might have missed...
I was only looking for the obvious silver color. I think I screwed up and turned back in at least a handful of coin with silver content. I thought only pre- 1964 would be silver worth keeping but I was only guessing at that.

If I remember right, (which obviously I seldom do) someone previously posted what dates were what silver content but I can't find that post anywhere. Can you CRHunters let me know what dates are keepers?

For half's 1964 and before are 90% silver and 1965 - 1970 are 40%. Also some of the proofs are silver. I just edge hunt but I look at the dates of any dirty coins. Sometimes the 40%'rs edges are black, dark/dull grey, 2 toned black + grey and I have even found a handfull that had some copper on the edges. Best advise if your gonna edge hunt is to look at all the suspect coins. But even then sometimes silver slips past you. Really the best way to hunt is by looking at every date but that takes a lot more time. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Congrats TreasureFiend! At least your day was not a total bust. Two mercs in one box is great in my book, and you got 6 more rosies to go with it. That's awexome. I guess quarters are not meant to be, ay?

One more thing I'd like to add to hunting halves, is that I search them initially by sight, then by sound (riffling them into my hand), then by date. It's hard to miss them by date, but I don't look at those mint marks too carefully and a crappy silver S mint could slip past me, or a silver '76... I hate 76's.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snowmanfromtexas said:
Brett said:
Maybe I can avoid all future questions by saying all future replies to this thread should be made by a person residing in Illinois that is involved in the hobby/job of Coin Roll Hunting (CRH), with accompanying images of finds made in the month of Feb. 2009, or by others commenting on said finds.

What about us in Indiana that like to oggle the silver and occasionly post "way to go". Can we still post here? heheh. SMAN...

LOL - Snowman your always welcome to post bud!!! LOL I laughed for a good min on that one!!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
TreasureFiend said:
snowmanfromtexas said:
Brett said:
Maybe I can avoid all future questions by saying all future replies to this thread should be made by a person residing in Illinois that is involved in the hobby/job of Coin Roll Hunting (CRH), with accompanying images of finds made in the month of Feb. 2009, or by others commenting on said finds.

What about us in Indiana that like to oggle the silver and occasionly post "way to go". Can we still post here? heheh. SMAN...

LOL - Snowman your always welcome to post bud!!! LOL I laughed for a good min on that one!!!!
Just do not start a Bottle Hunting Illinois Thread, what ever else you do..
Uh oh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread