mistergee said:
forgot to post on this
You can't do it CRH, but you CAN do it with a metal detector.
There was a two part article on how to make steady and significant money with your metal detector a few years ago in one of the treasure mags. It showed making about $25K a year with a metal detector, net of expenses. That was ... oh my, about 15 years ago, so now that number would be higher I'm sure. It was a great article, and made a lot of sense. It even gave step by steps of how to do it. It was "Treasure Facts" magazine, a competitor to Western and Eastern Treasure back in 1995.
Not with CRH though.
i have to both agree and disagree here. i do know of one guy who travels to Hawaii and some parts of Asia and all he does is MD beaches. i have seen his finds and he finds enough gold to support himself. can't think of his name but it will come to me. however he has access to places in Asia that most MDers do not as he is a dual citizen. from what i have seen here on T-net, he is one of the few who are able to do this. as far as silver goes i find it hard to believe Mders find more than CRHers.
how many MDers find 200-500 silver halves in one shot? i have a feeling that if you did a side by side comparison between the most successfull MDers and CRHers you would find that more money is made from CRH. i have no data to back this up, it is just my opinion from reading all the posts from MD and Crh in the last couple years.
The ability to make money full time as a MD full time was linked to getting hooked up with local insurance companies. Not searching beaches (except on slow days or when called to one for a lost item)
When I was in Denver, I worked with most of the firms there. Worked the slopes for lost items in the spring, worked the area for lost items from whatever, and even did a few catastrophies. Helped people out, and was paid by the insurance industry. I was working full time at Merrill Lynch at the time, so couldn't do the MD full time, but it was nice how much one could make on an ongoing basis. NOt finding silver halves, but finding lost items. I remember a few easy cases (And some hard ones). ONe I had to go out to a garden where a lady was working and lost her ring. Took me about 15 miutes, and the insurance comapny paid me $1,200. Another was a ring a disabled lady lost, and I found it under her car in the garage. Didn't even pull out the detector. But was paid $2,000 or so for that one. It comes down to if the insurance company has already agreed to pay the claim, they can't lose by sending you out to look for it and paying a 25% - 40% recovery fee if you find it (And nothing if you don't). So they saved big money when I found them, and I did well too.
Worth it at the time, when I worked with the local guys. :-) I also worked some eastern Colorado tornadoes, where I found lost items in the aftermath.
The story had a lot of great ideas, and that was just one of them (one i used that worked for me at least) I remember the beaches on slow days, putting ads in local papers when you go a small community (Saying a treasure hunter is coming to town and will help anyone who lost anything in the past. etc. I never explored that one), working some fiars and things, and really getting in to it. I have a copy of the articles around here somewhere, but it might take me a month to find them if I look for them! LOL. But it stuck with me from way back then, as the ideas made sense.