What's new

CRHing in the trash can

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
I was at one of my dump banks today where you dump the coins yourself. As the teller was changing the bag I looked into the wastebasket near the machine and saw a ziplock with some type of coin in it. I could tell it was a foreign coin and figured it would not go thru the machine and someone pitched it. I decided to make it part of my CRHing collection.

Below is a link showing what my coin looked like. Probably not worth much but an interesting history. I don't even know what it is called specifically.

Mine is not as good as the one in the picture. Mine is actually 2 Francs but otherwise looks just like the one below. Apparently it was some kind of coin used in occupied France during WWII.

Maybe I will try dumpster diving next. LOL!

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1554866


Jim
 
Upvote 0
Bank Runner said:
Nice. It was probably a vet bring-back.

I bet you are right Bank Runner. I have done some checking and there is an ebay listing for some of these coins that were brought back by a WWII vet supposedly.

I think the coin is kind of cool. It is actually made of aluminum. I guess PMs were hard to get a hold of during WWII so they used something cheaper than silver and gold.

Jim
 
This takes CRH to a whole new level! Nice find.
 
HolyDiver said:
This takes CRH to a whole new level! Nice find.

You should always check around and under the coin machine and definitely look in the trash can- this is not new and should be a CRH rule.
 
Jim , you dumpster diver :icon_jokercolor: nice score that is a cool war coin .. there must be a some demand for that coin like the steel pennies we have here :thumbsup:, Ed
 
I've gotten one of those. Thanks for doing the research as I never looked into it. I concluded it was aluminum and threw it in the pile with all my other unsorted foreign (I sort my British Pounds, Canadian, Mexican, and Euros as I will repatriate those one day).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom