What's new

Cross Belt buckle & more

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cross Belt buckle & more

These are my finds from my last two hunts. I believe the buckle to be Rev War era. Thanks for looking HH
 

Attachments

  • P1010719.webp
    P1010719.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 842
  • P1010722.webp
    P1010722.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 842
  • P1010723.webp
    P1010723.webp
    44 KB · Views: 814
  • P1010733.webp
    P1010733.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,160
  • P1010734.webp
    P1010734.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 836
  • P1010736.webp
    P1010736.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 908
  • P1010738.webp
    P1010738.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 884
  • P1010725.webp
    P1010725.webp
    36 KB · Views: 887
  • P1010726.webp
    P1010726.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 918
  • P1010744.webp
    P1010744.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 920
Upvote 12
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

nice video ! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

wow that is one sweet indian head :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Nice hunt!! :headbang: Sweet IHP :thumbsup:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Nice finds. I want that penny lol.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
sscindercoop said:
prolab69 said:
the sites these were found are all 1820s - 1880s
I also live in NY and have found many and never have any come from a late 19th century sight.

An 1875 Indian Head is late-19th century. I hate to burst your bubble, but they do not seem to be 18th century.

Kirk
You not bursting my Bubble!!! The sight the buckle came from was a battle sight in 1778 smart guy! The house that is on the property is 19th century and the Indian wasn't found near the buckle.

You don't need to be smart to study History, just except the truth, then History becomes easier.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

great detail on the IH......good huntin
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:
Thats all fine and well....but I to believe these buckles to be from the 18th century and on into the mid 19th. I dig them often in Colonial sites that fizzled out by the 1830's.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Sniffy said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:
Thats all fine and well....but I to believe these buckles to be from the 18th century and on into the mid 19th. I dig them often in Colonial sites that fizzled out by the 1830's.

OK, there is no convincing some people, this is the joy of the hobby, you can believe what you will. Clearly we 'believe' different things.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:
Thats all fine and well....but I to believe these buckles to be from the 18th century and on into the mid 19th. I dig them often in Colonial sites that fizzled out by the 1830's.
You think you know everything!!!!!!! How can you be so sure? Sniffy you know whats what along with a lot of others, Believe what you want
OK, there is no convincing some people, this is the joy of the hobby, you can believe what you will. Clearly we 'believe' different things.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Very Nice Buckle regardless, it DOES favor some of the earlier Colonial Shoulder Buckles BUT it also looks like the Horse Buckles of the early to mid 1800's as well. I believe the offset middle bar is the tell tell key. Nice Find
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
I have to agree with Crusaderon this one. This buckle has been in big debates. It is definitely not even close to being 18th century.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Based on what? Because Cru said so?

Nope, you're missing the point, I know little, learn a lot, how about you?
I know one thing and I'd like to show ya
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

I Dig Relics Hoss said:
Very Nice Buckle regardless, it DOES favor some of the earlier Colonial Shoulder Buckles BUT it also looks like the Horse Buckles of the early to mid 1800's as well. I believe the offset middle bar is the tell tell key. Nice Find
:thumbsup: Welcome to Tnet, & well said.

If they were 18th C sling/belt buckles, why are they shaped like horse buckles :laughing9:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
I have to agree with Crusaderon this one. This buckle has been in big debates. It is definitely not even close to being 18th century.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Based on what? Because Cru said so?
Would gladly if I had the chance :thumbsup:

Nope, you're missing the point, I know little, learn a lot, how about you?
I know one thing and I'd like to show ya
come and show me :laughing7:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
I have to agree with Crusaderon this one. This buckle has been in big debates. It is definitely not even close to being 18th century.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Based on what? Because Cru said so?
Would gladly if I had the chance :thumbsup:

Nope, you're missing the point, I know little, learn a lot, how about you?
I know one thing and I'd like to show ya
come and show me :laughing7:

This forum is about learning & sharing. If I think I'm wrong or know I'm wrong by good research/opinion I'm the first to put my hand up. However, when you disagree with one of the Leading US authorities on Colonial Buttons (Don Troiani), someone I respect as an expert, I think that you need a rethink.
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Bob Lavoy Is an expert as well
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol
I agree with Sniffy on this one.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/photogalary/buckels/pages/B1.htm
anyways the key crusader said is Don is a colonial BUTTON expert.not a expert on buckles.I still believe these are colonial era into the 1800's.Like Jesse's buckles.all mine were found at colonial sites.some not even on maps in 1850 which means the house was no longer a home. I guess this debate will never be settled until we unearth a colonial carcass with this belt attached to a pile of horse bones or human. I just feel based on the sites I detect along with the colonial buttons,tombacs,and coinage.there's no doubt that these buckles were used in the same time frame.that's just my humble opinion.and i'm by far no expert just a detectorist who loves history.
oh and great finds Coop!
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol
I agree with Sniffy on this one.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/photogalary/buckels/pages/B1.htm
anyways the key crusader said is Don is a colonial BUTTON expert.not a expert on buckles.I still believe these are colonial era into the 1800's.Like Jesse's buckles.all mine were found at colonial sites.some not even on maps in 1850 which means the house was no longer a home. I guess this debate will never be settled until we unearth a colonial carcass with this belt attached to a pile of horse bones or human. I just feel based on the sites I detect along with the colonial buttons,tombacs,and coinage.there's no doubt that these buckles were used in the same time frame.that's just my humble opinion.and i'm by far no expert just a detectorist who loves history.
oh and great finds Coop!
Its a great debate, but nothing you said convinced me to change my mine that they are POST-Rev War period & therefore are not military related, unless you were talking about post-1800 military horses.
If we all agreed, it would be boring & we would learn nothing :read2:
 
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

Great finds. Can't get over the great shape of the 1875 indian. Congrats.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom