Cross Pistols...Please Help Identify Purpose!

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in an old school house yard which was originally built in the mid-1800's. Not sure if they are to a child's toy or not but any help to identify would be much appreciated. Not too sure the material but there is some greening occurring on the Pistols as you can see in the pictures. Thanks for the Help!!

Attachments

• DSCN1203.JPG
    DSCN1203.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN1205.JPG
    DSCN1205.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 293

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be interesting to find out. The US Army Military Police have crossed pistols, Harpers Ferry pistols to be exact, but yours doesn't look like that, it looks like one of the pistols is a revolver.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you have the remains of an old Army Military Police insignia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3Detectorist

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are revolvers which is why I'm not sure if it is military...

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can barely make anything out but does it look like this photo?

Attachments

• usarmy.jpg
    usarmy.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have to research this one.. I can tell you it appears to be early 19th century.. 1830-1840ish. Kewl find, hope we can get it 100% ID. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3Detectorist

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have to research this one.. I can tell you it appears to be early 19th century.. 1830-1840ish. Kewl find, hope we can get it 100% ID. :occasion14:

Me too, will bench test it again to see what the metal composition is again. post the results asap

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, but no, it is not from the early-19th-Century, because the revolver's cylinder is a "fluted" one -- which is a rule-of-thumb (meaning not quite 100%, but close) that a revolver is post-civil-war era, and later. Similarly, some US Army World War One era insignia can be recognized as dating from that era because the crossed rifles are bolt-action, instead of having a flintlock or percussion hammer. (That being said, I should mention that the Army afterward re-adopted the old-style crossed muskets insignia, for Infantry officers -- go here: http://hglanham.tripod.com/usinfantry/infantry1.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there is your answer I guess... Glad someone knows, i'm only judging from the looks of the artifact for the age... It sure does got that early 19th century look to it, basically everything I dig from the early 19th century looks worn like this Also nothing to be sorry about ! keep up the good answers.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for not taking offense. (I intended none.) Okay then, carrying forward with further reasonings:
One part of the emblem is a fluted-cylinder revolver. The other looks much more like a rifle than a pistol. Note that:
1- Its butt is not curved, like a pistol's is.
2- The full length of its barrel (partially covered by the revolver) is proportionally much longer than the revolver's barrel.
3- It appears to have a rifle's rear gunsight on it.
4- There seems to be a sling under the rifle-looking object.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3Detectorist

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a possibility but some pieces of the object have broken off as well. suck as the section that has the shorter barrel.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for not taking offense. (I intended none.) Okay then, carrying forward with further reasonings:
One part of the emblem is a fluted-cylinder revolver. The other looks much more like a rifle than a pistol. Note that:
1- Its butt is not curved, like a pistol's is.
2- The full length of its barrel (partially covered by the revolver) is proportionally much longer than the revolver's barrel.
3- It appears to have a rifle's rear gunsight on it.
4- There seems to be a sling under the rifle-looking object.

Take offense?? I said i hope he gets it 100% ID then you 100% ID after i said it lool wth would I take offense to that CannonBall? I do not know everything, I may have dug some once in a life time finds but that doesn't make me better then the next guy, i'm just trying to help out here...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3Detectorist

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are we thinking it might be military related? Remember i found it in an old school yard.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What CBG is calling a sling looks to me like a ramrod. I see a muzzle loading pistol on the bottom and a revolver on the top. But when I enlarge the picture it looks like a revolver cylinder on the bottom one, which would then make the supposed ramrod an ejector for empty brass on a single action, and the top revolver doesn't have that. It's got me stumped, but this post is my number 1000, so that must be some kind of milestone.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Googleing crossed revolvers, there are tie tac's and decorations on belt buckles. Being found in a school yard my guess is it might have come off of an inexpensive kids western belt buckle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions