HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......I have found close to 25 of these and have never dug one marked,also they date earlier than early 20 th century....how early is tough to say....to the CW at least

The Liberty Rifles

First off I did not mark this thread "SOLVED" second off A & F parkes & CO made a lot of these axes with or without there company name on it, however most A & F parkes & CO had markings like the one in the photo. And also the link you provided stats "While these tools do not represent every single style used during the Federal army, it does provide an excellent cross section of the major styles" and those axes are at my good dear friend D.P. Newtons museum in Stafford. and lot of those axes that have handles are not civil war axes, the ones in the photos that do not have handles are the ones he dug and are from the civil war. Again this is just my guess and im judging this axe to be used in the early 20th century, could I be wrong? sure. Thanks.

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,992
Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....not quite sure what you are trying to say about the link,but glad you have personal experience with it......

I judge my statements from personal experience and sometimes back it up with a convienient link.Your posted image is of a marked specimen that the marking has that definate 20 th century look,and with some research on that company will probably confirm that......the posters example does not show any makers mark nor did they mention one......that being said I will say,the 25 or so of this type I have dug....none have come from 20 th century sites...I very seldom hunt 20 th sites

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to go with a Civil War campsite axe like this one U.S. Civil War Camp axe : Lot 113 However I do not see that type of design used during that time and the rust chemistry does not match up either (like if you go look @ that link you post and look at the far right photo) you will see most of those have certain rust chemistry... Apparently you and that other guy got something against me today, no idea what. But it's kewl man i'm just here to try and help.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to go with a Civil War campsite axe like this one U.S. Civil War Camp axe : Lot 113 However I do not see that type of design used during that time and the rust chemistry does not match up either (like if you go look @ that link you post and look at the far right photo) you will see most of those have certain rust chemistry... Apparently you and that other guy got something against me today, no idea what. But it's kewl man i'm just here to try and help.
I have nothing against anybody but we do take accurate ID's kind of serious,its not a "guessing game",anybody can guess.Are we always right?I am sure not,but If I dont know I will keep my mouth shut,and if I am wrong I will admit it.You seem to be on one tonight throwing out babble at everything posted!How can you date something on wear?Now your talking about rust chemistry?C'mon,we are not school children here,some people may buy that rubbish but there are folks here that know better

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nothing against anybody but we do take accurate ID's kind of serious,its not a "guessing game",anybody can guess.Are we always right?I am sure not,but If I dont know I will keep my mouth shut,and if I am wrong I will admit it.You seem to be on one tonight throwing out babble at everything posted!How can you date something on wear?Now your talking about rust chemistry?C'mon,we are not school children here,some people may buy that rubbish but there are folks here that know better

these are all civil war axes right here, do you know see any rust chemistry on it? dont these appear to be alittle more different then a all black look axe? dont these look alittle more brownish/red?

Attachments

• whiteoak3.jpg
    whiteoak3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....you took that picture from the link I posted.......with electrolisis,wire wheel brush,and/or no idea what state/soil type a relic comes from you have no chance of saying anything from "color"!C'mon!

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
these are all civil war axes right here, do you know see any rust chemistry on it? dont these appear to be alittle more different then a all black look axe? dont these look alittle more brownish/red?

Do you even know what Rust Chemistry is? Here is a quick lesson that I would like to see you apply to your gibberish.

[h=1]Rust Chemistry[/h] Rusting of iron consists of the formation of hydrated oxide, Fe(OH)[SUB]3[/SUB], FeO(OH), or even Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB].H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. It is an electrochemical process which requires the presence of water, oxygen and an electrolyte. In the absence of any one of these rusting does not occur to any significant extent. In air, a relative humidity of over 50% provides the necessary amount of water and at 80% or above corrosion of bare steel is worse.
When a droplet of water containing a little dissolved oxygen falls on an steel pipe, the solid iron or Fe(s) under the droplet oxidizes:
Fe(s) --> Fe[SUP]2+[/SUP](aq) + 2e[SUP]-[/SUP]
The electrons are quickly consumed by hydrogen ions from water (H[SUB]2[/SUB]O) and dissolved oxygen or O[SUB]2[/SUB](aq) at the edge of the droplet to produce water:
4e[SUP]-[/SUP] + 4H[SUP]+[/SUP](aq) + O[SUB]2[/SUB](aq) --> 2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O(l)
More acidic water increases corrosion. If the pH is very low the hydrogen ions will consume the electrons anyway, making hydrogen gas instead of water:
2H[SUP]+[/SUP](aq) + 2e[SUP]-[/SUP] --> H[SUB]2[/SUB](g)
But where's the rust? The equations above tell only a small part of the story.
Hydrogen ions are being consumed by the process. As the iron corrodes, the pH in the droplet rises. Hydroxide ions (OH[SUP]-[/SUP]) appear in water as the hydrogen ion concentration falls. They react with the iron(II) ions to produce insoluble iron(II) hydroxides or green rust:
Fe[SUP]2+[/SUP](aq) + 2OH[SUP]-[/SUP](aq) --> Fe(OH)[SUB]2[/SUB](s)
The iron(II) ions also react with hydrogen ions and oxygen to produce iron(III) ions:
4Fe[SUP]2+[/SUP](aq) + 4H[SUP]+[/SUP](aq) + O[SUB]2[/SUB](aq) -->4Fe[SUP]3+[/SUP](aq) + 2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O(l)
The iron(III) ions react with hydroxide ions to produce hydrated iron(III) oxides (also known as iron(III) hydroxides):
Fe[SUP]3+[/SUP](aq) + 3OH[SUP]-[/SUP](aq) --> Fe(OH)[SUB]3[/SUB](s)
The loose porous rust or Fe(OH)[SUB]3[/SUB] can slowly transform into a crystallized form written as Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB].H[SUB]2[/SUB]O the familiar red-brown stuff that is called "rust" forming tubercles as shown here. Since these processes involve hydrogen ions or hydroxide ions, they will be affected by changes in pH. With limited O2, magnetite is formed (Fe[SUB]3[/SUB]O[SUB]4[/SUB]). If other ions like calcium or carbonate are present, they make a variety of precipitates that mix in with the iron hydroxide to produce a crusty, twisted coating which can either slow corrosionby cutting the iron off from the acid, water, and air supply or grow into convoluted shapes called tubercles. The growth of these tubercles can greatly affect the flow of water through water mains as shown here.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another axe that looks like it's been in the ground for 150 years!

Attachments

• civilwar axe.JPG
    civilwar axe.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,928
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3Detectorist

M3Detectorist

Feb 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is more flat on one side than the other which may mean that it was smithed in an older fashion such by a folding the steel and hammering it. I will post another picture later tonight to represent what i mean.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I believe I know what you mean -- the head is offset. This was so that it could be used for finishing type work, which was more commonly done by axe in the 19th century, but that style is still made and used today (to a much lesser extent).

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then date this guys axe.. What century do you think this axe is from?

Perhaps you can analyze the rust?
....also you better cease the threatening P.M's,you are right the detecting world is a lot smaller than you think,and you dont know me k apish?

Upvote 0

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see why this would be frustrating to those who spend their time trying to identify items.
Although I'm not an expert on axe heads, I am very experienced with ferrous artifacts.
This rust chemistry disagreement is a waste of time.
I have found trade axes from the 18th century that are in way better condition than the axe posted here!
We have great soil conditions in many areas, but more importantly, hand forged steel or metal than has been folded over, holds out in the ground way better than more modern implements.
The manufacturing process has a lot to do with this.
I've seen many 20th century axe heads in worse condition than the one posted here.
If one is to determine the age of a ferrous object by condition, they're barking up the wrong tree!
I can show you a modern hatchet head that I found in the river. You could hardly recognize what it even is!
There are too many variables (with everything in this hobby) to go on that basis alone.
My vote would be the mid-19th century.
Nice find!
Cheers,
Dave.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions