smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting to run into a friend of mine for some time, He lives in a house that he said they researched and found a building permit issued in 1901. I've been wanting to hunt it for some time and I got permission today. Never been hit. While discussing what items he knew about the history of the immediate area, He showed me some interesting things about the old house. Two cisterns. One on each side of the house. Nice lake in back. House sits right on the original main road thru town. RR underneath highway out front. Then he tells me...hey the guy next door will probably let you hunt there too...okie dokie. Then he leads me over to a small building on the property where he points out an old foundation still in the ground. He tells me this is the original foundation of the hotel that used to sit there...:tongue3: 100 year old oaks line both sides. Back yard drops off about 20 feet down to the lake which sits about 50 yards from the house. The house next door at the landlords was built reusing parts from the old hotel. I'm steady researching. Wish me luck while I put some pieces together and can post more info. I'm looking forward to getting in there and possibly having some good luck on relics and maybe coins too. I've got my bud talked into detecting with me as he showed some interest. I told him I'd have a machine for him too.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly that sounds like a dream hunt and a placde you could hunt for a very long time. I hope you do well it would be a blast just the anticipation of what each signal is I wish you alot of luck and will be looking for some posts in todays finds my friend. Tommy

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting to run into a friend of mine for some time, He lives in a house that he said they researched and found a building permit issued in 1901. I've been wanting to hunt it for some time and I got permission today. Never been hit. While discussing what items he knew about the history of the immediate area, He showed me some interesting things about the old house. Two cisterns. One on each side of the house. Nice lake in back. House sits right on the original main road thru town. RR underneath highway out front. Then he tells me...hey the guy next door will probably let you hunt there too...okie dokie. Then he leads me over to a small building on the property where he points out an old foundation still in the ground. He tells me this is the original foundation of the hotel that used to sit there...:tongue3: 100 year old oaks line both sides. Back yard drops off about 20 feet down to the lake which sits about 50 yards from the house. The house next door at the landlords was built reusing parts from the old hotel. I'm steady researching. Wish me luck while I put some pieces together and can post more info. I'm looking forward to getting in there and possibly having some good luck on relics and maybe coins too. I've got my bud talked into detecting with me as he showed some interest. I told him I'd have a machine for him too.

Hey buddy, pal, friend....... Don't forget your old buddy Billie here in Deltona Fl..... just sayin....

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Find something worth a lot of money your land owner buddy may not want your know you any more .TP

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I haven't heard any treasure legends but it should be one of the oldest hotels in the small town if not the first. I'm having some issues finding the correct one. It would be the only one with a lake behind it that was there in the years it was supposed to be in business. Just looking for the right pic to seal the deal on names. I've found 4 so far, 3 of which I know where they are. There may be more...so Im studying. I drew up a map on one of the county interactive maps but can't get the shot to print or download. I'll get an overhead view somehow. I can actually see the remains of the hotel foundation on one of the latest satellite views. I'm stoked!

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toward the end of your original post I was convinced you were going to say " then I woke up "... You don't normally see everything line up like that !!.

shoulda, coulda, wouldas are all there...I've got to hit the small local museum which I found on line last night. I'll get the proper ID of the place and I'll have some better info on what could be there. I know some of the local history because I've lived close by all my life, but never knew about this hotel. It's only about 15 miles from where I sit now. I was excited about getting the permission. When he showed me the hotel foundation, I think my mind went on overload. Most of the boon years around here start generally after mid 1800s. We were out of the Seminole Wars in 1842. Then came the Civil War. Right around the turn of the 20th century, the steamboat lines were fading out, the RR was taking over most of the travel. Cheaper travel and more areas covered by train for travel. This area shared both for a while. The RR ran to a large chain of lakes where the travelers could exit the train and get on steamboats and travel thru the area farther south. The land boon was on. Soldiers from the war were able to get homestead rights for 160 acre tracts if they could prove it up . They had to clear and cultivate at least five acres and create a livable home. Smart ones proved up and then subdivided their lands and advertised the promised land up north claiming this was paradise. Come on down. Citrus industry grew quickly. This small town was founded in 1876. Other crops grew well here too. Farming and timber operations were rocking. About 1895, a big freeze decimated most of the crops. Farms failed. Some land was resold to others who attempted to homestead here and about that time the government was starting to buy up some areas to make a national park That later turned into what we call the Ocala National forest now. All kinds of things make me think this will be a good spot. More research is needed. I'll be back! I'll get over there in a few days for the hunt and I suppose I'll be hitting it often. Lots of area to cover and I'll bet lots of cool finds will hit my pouch!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck buddy....make us Florida boys proud !! Gonna be some goodies for sure !!

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still see some of the foundation...:laughing7: yellow lines are my borders roughly,,,the red squiggle circles some visible foundation of the old Hotel. It was indeed the first Hotel there.

Attachments

• aerial2.jpg
    aerial2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 73

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, you've made us all jealous. Now, go find some awesomeness!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread