What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Crossed Canons Something or other...

sibbley

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
5,136
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, XP Deus 2, Deeptech Vista X, Nokta Makro Invenio Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's brass, not magnetic about 3 and 1/4 inch wide, and 1 and 3/4 inches high. Definitely stamped. Found at a mid 1800's home site. I'm sure it's decorative. At first, we thought maybe it was some type of belt plate.

P1002319_WM.webp
P1002320_WM.webp
 
Great Idea B F
Nice find sibbley
 
Upvote 0
Maybe an artilleryman made it as a neckerchief slide?
 
Upvote 0
Possible harness badge for an artillery division?
I haven't been able to find any example of a harness badge remotely close. But, I'll keep looking.
 
Upvote 0
I hadn't noticed the solder marks. I cleaned it better with a scuffy pad and exposed some of the brass with steel wool. I'll post better pics once it dries.
 
Upvote 0
Cleaned better you can see really well where something looks to have been soldered at three points on the reverse. Enough cleaned off on the upper right hand corner so it is brass.

P1002330_WM.webp


Front side.

P1002329_WM.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great find! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us.
 
Upvote 0
I sent photos and size info to shop that deals with militaria in Gettysburg to see if they can identify it. I used to deal with them a lot back when I used to do Civil War Living History.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom