Crowdsourcing to uncover the history that lies hidden beneath the waves.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Agreed but you will notice some of the posters have already dropped away. There needs to be a POW moment or human nature kicks in and then people have to be constantly motivated.

No one concerned with the Whyda needs motivating cos they are doing it.......all day every day!!

That sort of thing is needed...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always motivated...
You would be hard pressed to find someone more so...
I hear(see) a lot of talk on here... mine included...
BUT... Back in reality (no offense)...
Limitations are always ever present in any potential "venture"...
and I am sure all of us here know that limitations can be overcome if desired enough...

Anyway...
What I am starting to hear... and perhaps I am over stepping by assuming...
but I am starting to think i am getting a "clearer picture" of "the answer" or response... that you may be searching to see here...
Exactly what "answer" is needed here treasurediver ?
Are you waiting to hear the word "investor" in this business plan ?
Correct me if I am wrong... ? <

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Archie,

I think TD's looking for enthusiasm from more than just the few of us, not money......just an educated guess.....

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good... especially for you sadds :P...

Because I was about to invest every penny ...

Sadds has. :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Didn't she bail from the other thread or was that Penelope??

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh... who knows ?... she did not stay long enough...
And hey I just look at your username and realized it is only one "D". heh :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the reason I never noticed is because I cannot look at your avatar picture...
It makes me weep...
It makes grown animals cower...
It makes women shudder...
It... ehhh you get the idea... :P
But most of all....
It makes me jealous... you on a boat and you are not driving it...
I always wanted a boat chauffer . :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Heh... who knows ?... she did not stay long enough...
And hey I just look at your username and realized it is only one "D". heh :P

Duh?? I'll be anyone's boat beach if they let me dive too...

Navy diving supervisor title. Sub Aqua Diving Supervisor #669........

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
I am always motivated...
You would be hard pressed to find someone more so...
I hear(see) a lot of talk on here... mine included...
BUT... Back in reality (no offense)...
Limitations are always ever present in any potential "venture"...
and I am sure all of us here know that limitations can be overcome if desired enough...

Anyway...
What I am starting to hear... and perhaps I am over stepping by assuming...
but I am starting to think i am getting a "clearer picture" of "the answer" or response... that you may be searching to see here...
Exactly what "answer" is needed here treasurediver ?
Are you waiting to hear the word "investor" in this business plan ?
Correct me if I am wrong... ? <
Good questions. I will try to answer.

We are talking about a business here.
How do you build a business?
You start with a plan.
So, let's say the plan is “we want to build a profitable enterprise that makes it's profits from the shipwrecks.”
Right away we see a few key words: enterprise, profitable, shipwrecks, profits.
Why do we mention profits twice? Because it is the most important part.
Then we look at the challenges:
How do we make a profit?
To know about profits, we need to know about the cost.
The cost is in short:
Logistics
Equipment
People
Capital (yes, capital has a cost)
Then we look at how we are going to cover this cost.
Do we plan to sell something? Yes, so we need to do market research to find out how the market is for our products.
Let's say we find that there is a high demand in the market for our products, so we can make a good guess of the value of our products.
So we subtract the cost from the revenue and we get a bottom line.
Does the bottom line look good? If yes, we continue. If no we go back to the beginning.

Now we look at how we are going to actually implement the plan.
How are we going to raise the capital? By presenting a solid business plan to an investor.
As we are looking at several million in capital, we know that investors on that level are not stupid. They are going to ask a lot of questions and if we do not have the right answer, they rekon that we do not know what we are doing and therefore the risks are too high. No investment.

So? what are the questions going to be?
Management, who is going to manage, details.
Does the working team cover all the necessary expertise?
Product, can we produce it?
Marketing, are the numbers that we present real?
What are the other risks? Weather, seasonality, hurricanes, political unrest, wars, fluctuations of the economy, etc.etc.

If we have done our homework, we have solid proof for all our answers. The investor rekons it is a good investment and puts up the money.

This, in brief is how you start a business.
If you want to know more about business plan, ask miss Google, just click on the link <https://www.google.ch/search?source...usiness plan&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.22530j0j8

So what am I looking for on this forum? Obviously not an investor, wrong place for that.
What we have on the forum, are mostly people who have an interest or passion in diving and shipwrecks. There are very few people who have actually ever seen an old undisturbed shipwreck as it looks on the ocean floor. There are very few who know how to recognize an old shipwreck on the sidescan or magnetometer readout.

How many know about preservation of the artifacts that have been exposed to several hundred years of sea water?

How many are capable of recognizing an encrusted silver coin or silver bar when it bites them in the hand? Or on the remote camera? How many know how to differentiate a silver bar from a zinc anode?

There are many different talents needed for a successful shipwreck business.

I am looking for these talents.

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Tony, You have a Great idea. I am going to throw in my 2 cents again. If you want Professional people to make this work?
I think you are going about it the wrong way and you are going to lose the experienced people you need the most.

You have these guys planning an op on a wreck that may not even be there anymore or it is scattered to hell and back. The Harbor in St. Thomas was dredged for cruise ships. That moved everything. I think it is a fools errand, unless you want these guys to go through weeks of work, putting a plan together and then only finding a few coins. If they are Lucky.

If you want to keep moral up? Find a Target that will make the New Company Successful !!! Otherwise the guys that work in this field will leave you. They don't want to work on a Project that May Work. They can do that on their own in Florida. If you want to succeed ask for resumes and pick a good team. You already have 3 experienced guys that want to work for you. sads669, BVI Hunter and ARRC.
Don't blow it by having these guys work their asses off putting a Project together that may result in very very little treasure. That isnot the way to install confidence in a new crew or make a new company look successful.
Just my opinion and we all have them. But I would like to see you guys succeed and I don't thing your current wreck is the way to do it. If you need a Great Business Plan? I'll send one to sads669. Jack Haskins put it together. It is a good template.
Good luck.

Yes, please send the business plan.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Save yourself the fed ex money. My wife is in your neck of the woods watching the Rolling Stones soon, give it to her...........I am sure TD will liaise directly with you or the guys you mention above.......

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Treasurediver I will throw my hat in the ring. All my diving buddies are there. I was director of operations for Research & Recovery Inc. when they worked on the Atocha. I'm also a PADI dive instructor. PM me your email address and I will send you my resume. I also have a draft prospectus that I wrote for work in Cuba. I can send that too.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boy did I ever come in on this late. That's what I get for signing up for weekly digests of forum discussions.

You had me with
Some of the sailors had gotten hold of the Rum and were getting drunk.

As always, I’m interested in the story/history behind it all. But I’m also good with communications & online tech stuff. And when I win the lottery (do I have to buy a ticket for that?), I’ll invest.

For the 70-ft option, any drunk sailors in the backstory?

I'm in if there are drunk sailors, female pirates, cowardly acts, stupid acts, acts of bravery, etc.

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Boy did I ever come in on this late. That's what I get for signing up for weekly digests of forum discussions.

You had me with

As always, I’m interested in the story/history behind it all. But I’m also good with communications & online tech stuff. And when I win the lottery (do I have to buy a ticket for that?), I’ll invest.

For the 70-ft option, any drunk sailors in the backstory?

I'm in if there are drunk sailors, female pirates, cowardly acts, stupid acts, acts of bravery, etc.

Grossmusic,
I don't want your money, but, we would like you to invest.
Invest your time.
Invest your knowledge and skills.
No, don't invest in our company, invest in your share in the BIG PICTURE.
You have done this before, with your story about the 1715 shipwrecks.
Each shipwreck has it's own story. Sometimes we are lucky and find a lot of details (like the Rum, very common occurrence, but not always documented. On this shipwreck it is documented because 2 sailors died because of intoxication.)
Sometimes we manage to follow through documented evidence an actual person,survivor of the shipwreck. Great for the human interest angle.
The more information we find in the documents, the more valuable the shipwreck becomes.

Now, when we find a valuable shipwreck, it is much talked about in the news. If we can give a lot of information about it to the news people, they can use this information to enhance their coverage.

So I am a strong believer of having at least one book written about every shipwreck.This book should be ready for when the shipwreck hits the news, to ride the full wave, just like a surfer has to be at the right spot when the wave comes.

I have a few shipwreck stories from old to very recent. I would be glad to share them with you and/or other writers, specially so because a story of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century is quite different from a story of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. And yes, they are all shipwreck stories.

And while we are at it, I would also like to find graphic artists, painters and illustrators, photographers and film makers, to each one use the theme of the shipwreck stories which we work on.

To be ready to surf that wave, when we uncover the history that lies beneath the waves.

TO BE PART OFTHE BIG PICTURE

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
TO BE PART OF THE BIG PICTURE

Here is to illustrate what I mean by a good shipwreck story:
The attached picture shows a smaller ship in battle with a bigger ship. The man who painted this picture, was a young midshipman on the smaller ship.
The smaller ship won the battle. They sent “the women” from the big ship ashore in a boat.
Not much of a story from this side.
However, then I found the great, great, great, grandson of one of “the women”,actually the governess of the children of a countess travelling on board the big ship. He filled me in on the part of the story, where his ancestor was born and why she was travelling. He also had information of her coming back to the UK.
On my side I found the shipwreck of the first ship on which our girl had embarked and how the ship caught fire and exploded. Having survived this disaster, she and the rest of the survivors then continued their voyage on the big ship that was capered by the smaller ship on the picture.

All this documented, contemporary newspaper cuttings, court hearings etc. I think it is a fantastic story.

Would you like to write the book?

Attachments

• Privateer.jpg
    Privateer.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gotta get GalleonHunter in on this.

As for writing the book, that's something I'll always consider. But it's a slow process (at least for me). Years.

Maybe a compilation of the stories. Seems that would be a worthwhile endeavor that could involve everyone who wants to try their hand at it. My specialty is editing. I'd love to take everyone's stories and put them together. The more voices the better. And with that many stories, it seems it would be necessary.

Lots of ways something like that can roll out. With online publishing, it could be done in phases & then compiled, or compiled first & then published. Lots of possibilities.

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Gotta get GalleonHunter in on this.

As for writing the book, that's something I'll always consider. But it's a slow process (at least for me). Years.

Maybe a compilation of the stories. Seems that would be a worthwhile endeavor that could involve everyone who wants to try their hand at it. My specialty is editing. I'd love to take everyone's stories and put them together. The more voices the better. And with that many stories, it seems it would be necessary.

Lots of ways something like that can roll out. With online publishing, it could be done in phases & then compiled, or compiled first & then published. Lots of possibilities.

I like the compilation of stories. As you say, Lots of possibilities. But we all need to get moving on it.

You mentioned Galleonhunter, I don't know who that is, so I put the name in the search. The thread Spanish Galleons came up. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/124408-spanish-galleons.html#post1330578

Interesting thread. 6 years ago. A lot of things have changed since then. Most of us got older during that time. A few are not among us anymore. How many more will not be here anymore in another 6 years?
So the time is now. Do something now.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Galleonhunter is the archaeologist Robert Westrick. He is one of the best. Rob is willing to work with treasure hunters and most of us here know him. To have any kind of legitimacy with the archaeological community you must have an archeologist on board or they will consider us nothing more than looters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread