All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I see in your list of machines, that each of you lists the xlt as a present or prior machine. If so, be prepared for a hard learning curve. The sounds and swing styles and nothing like the various whites faster swing machines.

A good way to get used to CTX (and all the explorers) at first, is to black out everything but copper penny and higher. Then go to a place prolfic with clad and easies (even if only modern). Then the next day, repeat, with the disc. dropped down to where you get zinc. Repeat. The next day dropped down to where you get corroded zinc and beefier square tabs. Repeat. The next day down to round tabs, repeat. Etc.. etc... till your down to open screen (with iron as your lowest grunt tones). THEN the "lights will go on" and it makes more sense.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom... I totally expected a "hard leaning curve". In truth I probably even haven't utilized my XLT to its fullest yet.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is at this point I cannot use any other machine but my CTX. Like Tom said, once the light goes on it's just a wonderful piece of equipment. The separation of targets under the coil is phenomenal. Learn it and then hunt with an open screen, set the tones to where they make sense to you and enjoy all the finds. Worth every penny in my opinion.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Was out yesterday swinging my CTX. I'm a sound guy, seldom look at the screen. Whole lot of noise in the ground, hot rocks mostly. But even with the noise I was able to pick out the coins. It could have been frustrating, but I was confident in cherry picking. It's a great machine.

If you do decide to get one, make sure you pick-up "The CTX3030 Handbook" by Andy Sabisch. Kellyco carries the book last I checked.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one helluva detector, and I highly recommend them to anyone who doesn't live near me. :laughing7: As long as you go into expecting to relearn the machine like a newbie detectorist, you'll be fine. It's the people who think they are going to pick it up and be a instant pro because they have used other machines for years that get upset and sell them off, claiming they are overpriced junk.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's one helluva detector, and I highly recommend them to anyone who doesn't live near me. :laughing7: As long as you go into expecting to relearn the machine like a newbie detectorist, you'll be fine. It's the people who think they are going to pick it up and be a instant pro because they have used other machines for years that get upset and sell them off, claiming they are overpriced junk.
I almost wrapped mine around a tree, a few times :BangHead:. Glad I didn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread