🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, Mike here. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a good, all around waterproof detector. I've always had whites products and have been happy with them, even looked into the new beach hunter Id 300. However I wanted something with a visual display. Reason being i want to hunt a very old area of salt beach that will be loaded with all sorts of targets. I want something I can compare vdi numbers to and get a feeling as to what I'm digging. I feel with the beachhunter or even an Excalibur I would be digging all day long. I then thought about the at pro but came to understand they don't like salt. This leads me to only one conclusion, a minelab ctx 3030? Does anyone else have what I'm looking for? Is the ctx all I need? Their expensive so I want to make the right choice. I know there are plenty of multi frequency machines i could use but am afraid as i would be the first one to take a plunge and ruin the machine. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Mike from Long Island, NY.

My ATPro works quite well in and out of the salt water in Myrtle Beach. I can't speak for other areas of the country but it works there.

It is not a 3030 but that is comparing a cadillac to a chevy. Just ground balance frequently and set your sensitivity down a notch or two.

Hi tcornel, I'm glad the at pro is working for you. However in my experience single frequency machines tend to false too much in the salt beach. Great up on the dry sand, but too noisy in the wet. Furthermore I have high concentrations of black sand here on Long Island NY, drives a single frequency detector crazy!

I might call myself an avid reader on metal detecting, but would not call myself an expert. Having said that, you are looking for waterproof (wading only, I assume), screen, and multifrequency, the CTX3030 is the only machine I know of with all 3. The top of the line Whites spectra V3i is multifrequency, and has a screen, but you can't get the screen/head unit wet (I'm sure you already know this). It is much less than the CTX. I hunt with a friend who uses the CTX, he swears by it. I'm still of an opinion it costs more than I can justify, and is a beast to swing. He uses the swingy thingy, and likes it. Keep us posted on which way you go, and what you find, good luck Artie

The CTX is as close to the do it all detector there is. That being said, I wouldn't write off the Excal either if you want to do a lot of water hunting. If it's a very old beach you may want to dig everything except iron. ( and maybe iron if it's the right piece of iron) the Excal in pinpoint mode is very deep seeking and you can check target in discriminate mode. Sometimes you can just barely hear a change in threshold in pp and have to dig down 6-8" to get a target response in disc. I highly recommend a rear mount straight shaft and the pinpoint- better headphone modification if you do go the Excal route. I have a stock 10" coil on the Excal and hit targets deeper than I can retrieve if anywhere close to the water.

I might call myself an avid reader on metal detecting, but would not call myself an expert. Having said that, you are looking for waterproof (wading only, I assume), screen, and multifrequency, the CTX3030 is the only machine I know of with all 3. The top of the line Whites spectra V3i is multifrequency, and has a screen, but you can't get the screen/head unit wet (I'm sure you already know this). It is much less than the CTX. I hunt with a friend who uses the CTX, he swears by it. I'm still of an opinion it costs more than I can justify, and is a beast to swing. He uses the swingy thingy, and likes it. Keep us posted on which way you go, and what you find, good luck Artie
Looks like the ctx may be my only option. Ill def let everyone know how it goes. Thanks Artie, HH, GL.

The CTX is as close to the do it all detector there is. That being said, I wouldn't write off the Excal either if you want to do a lot of water hunting. If it's a very old beach you may want to dig everything except iron. ( and maybe iron if it's the right piece of iron) the Excal in pinpoint mode is very deep seeking and you can check target in discriminate mode. Sometimes you can just barely hear a change in threshold in pp and have to dig down 6-8" to get a target response in disc. I highly recommend a rear mount straight shaft and the pinpoint- better headphone modification if you do go the Excal route. I have a stock 10" coil on the Excal and hit targets deeper than I can retrieve if anywhere close to the water.
I've thought about the Excalibur, I even like the idea of the whites beach hunter that utilizes lights as well as tones but this area is on the north shore of Long Island, very rocky, with a lot of history of industry dating back to the early 1800's. I do understand what your saying, and will probably end up digging everything anyway as I've noticed a high concentration of copper and brass on the surface(should take it for srap anyhow) but would be more comfortable with some kind of visual display. Probably going to get the ctx however I'm not familiar with their products. I've heard of leaking issues with the ctx, hopefully minelab has worked those bugs out. GL, HH, Mike

As long as I can knock out small junk iron and screw caps, I'm just as comfortable on the beach with the Excal as I am with the CTX. Maybe more comfortable since if I decide to go chest deep I can without worrying about any leaks, or did I put the waterproof headphones on etc. Some people say they skip clad and silver to only dig gold tones/ numbers. I just can't do it and am usually eager to dig it all minus the iron. Good luck and HH

Last edited:
As long as I can knock out small junk iron and screw caps, I'm just as comfortable on the beach with the Excal as I am with the CTX. Maybe more comfortable since if I decide to go chest deep I can with worrying about any leaks, or did I put the waterproof headphones on etc. Some people say the skip clad and silver to only dig gold tones/ numbers. I just can't do it and am usually eager to dig it all minus the iron. Good luck and HH
Thanks fletch! I've considered the Excalibur route and would def consider it if I was hunting the south shore of Long Island. Typical sandy beach, not many targets in the wet, and usually something good when there. But the north shore, man let me tell you, it's like hunting a local trashy park that happens to be under water! Hence the need for some type of vdi display. Thanks again for the advice, I believe the ctx will be my only option unless someone else knows of a machine that fits my parameters.

I guess if you want/ need a screen the CTX is your best bet. But I still dig jut as many pulltabs, nickels and canslaw with it as I would my Excal. Once you learn the language of the Excal it's hard to beat in rough saltwater environments. The CZ-21 would be my second choice. I'm not sure who you prefer dealing with but I've had great service from Keith at Fort Bedford Detectors! Good luck and HH!

I guess if you want/ need a screen the CTX is your best bet. But I still dig jut as many pulltabs, nickels and canslaw with it as I would my Excal. Once you learn the language of the Excal it's hard to beat in rough saltwater environments. The CZ-21 would be my second choice. I'm not sure who you prefer dealing with but I've had great service from Keith at Fort Bedford Detectors! Good luck and HH!
Thanks fletch! I'll def look into the fisher machines. Listen I'm not about that "my brand detector is the best" nonsense. I believe every machine is as good as the person swinging it. Minelab, whites, fisher, Garrett, nokta, etc all make great machines. Unfortunately not many waterproof ones with a display. Really wanted a Garrett at pro! Heard great things about it from you members, almost pulled the trigger on one but can't use it in the salt. Oh we'll. thanks again, HH GL

If you are hunting a beach, the ONLY thing you want to ignore is iron. You don't need a screen. The CTX is a great detector but it's massive over-kill for beach hunting.

If you are hunting a beach, the ONLY thing you want to ignore is iron. You don't need a screen. The CTX is a great detector but it's massive over-kill for beach hunting.
I hear ya buddy, but it's not your typical beach. Think of the area I'm hunting like a bay and not a "beach". One spot had a restaurant in the early 1900's and they would actually throw their rubbish out back and into the water. A lot of old docks and pilings. It would actually be like hunting in the dirt only under water. I hope I kinda explained myself?

Hey, MrMikeJackie, I too hunt a lot of junk infested sites. Beaches on lakes where people camp out, homesteads when they used to throw their trash away or burn it. These are the kind of sites that makes the ctx shine above all other machines. IMO

So I decided to get the whites beachhunter ID 300. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm going to go the non lazy route and spend a good time removing as much junk as possible to see what's underneath. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there. Spoke to one local old timer yesterday that says he remembers about 10 years ago when one local marina was pulling their mushroom mooring anchors and had one full of spoons, forks. Upon closer inspection they were all sterling silver! This is right behind the old restaurant i was speaking of. I might dedicate a good amount of time this summer to that beach line. Now I gotta get a wetsuit, any ideas? Lol

Good luck with your new machine. I recently bought a $450 wetsuit on EBay for $190 with tags still on it.

If I may make a suggestion about wetsuits, I went through a few brands over the years surfing,
please try them on before you buy! Not all of them fit the same as they differ in fit from brand to brand.
So far my favorite is the O'Neill wetsuits for comfort but keep in mind that a 2/3 mm is more for springtime than winter but easier to get on & off than say a 4mm wetsuit!
Best of luck!

Yes, that's a good idea. I already had a 3/2mm and the one I bought is a 5/4mm. Both are one piece. I wish I has bought a farmer john because it's nice to be able to wear just the bottom or top and the one pieces choke me a little.

Last edited:
Interesting Discussion .

Good luck with your new machine. I recently bought a $450 wetsuit on EBay for $190 with tags still on it.
Thanks for all your advise fletch, and following up on the thread. I appreciate it. Guys like you are the reason I joined. I will def let everyone know how it goes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back