Curious about real active mines that could lay claim to the LDM...

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read over a lot of these threads. What about the pitt mine, bull dog mine, and i know there were others? Are these mine location public information and could be put on a map? Have a bigger idea that if you could plot all of the real life "known" locations gold has been found in its matrix....could at least get an idea which way or timing of the intrusion that cause the gold formation. My method is not prospecting and looking at tablets or maps, but deciphering the historical geology of the region.

Yes you can find them,they are listed, and that is what I am basically doing as of a month ago.

I have been to the bull dog mine site that is now a gravel quarry, my guess is the pit in the deepest part of their dig is where the main shaft once was. There are a few quartz veins around the area of the pit but nothing that looks like its carrying a lot of minerals.

From just a rough guess it looks like the mines are trending somewhat northwest from Goldfield ghost town.

Last edited:
I have been to the bull dog mine site that is now a gravel quarry, my guess is the pit in the deepest part of their dig is where the main shaft once was. There are a few quartz veins around the area of the pit but nothing that looks like its carrying a lot of minerals.

From just a rough guess it looks like the mines are trending somewhat northwest from Goldfield ghost town.

I am new to the hunt, and curious to learn more. I do not think(my opinion) one could ever "officially" locate the LDM or any lost mine, not lost cache but just mine. It would be almost impossible to justify that that particular seam was "the one" mined historically. You may find a gold rich vein in the right area but it could be a different outcropping etc. My opinions though.

Being that I am new to this, can someone inform me on how to track down the known mines or the area? Or are there public GPS coordinates out there?

Go here Az dept of mines. There is a lot of info and guides on panning, ect. And locations of mines.
You can order maps for a nominal fee of individual counties, showing both active and abandoned mines, they come with a map key booklet which tells you the name of the mine and what was mined there.

This link Here (deposits by district), is a list of districts from 1912 that shows what the principle ore was collected in that district.
Then, you can do a search for mine names in that district. The other way, is to get a free pdf called gold placering in Az. Search online. By Wilson.

Last edited:
sgt is right. I did not word that quite right.
I meant free flowing, free milling, or placer gold.
Quite a bit is tied up in sulphides, and in the mix.
But copper is found with gold.
I will change it.

Bulldog Mine GPS: Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):33° 27' 43'' North , 111° 30' 36'' West

It's a quarry and off limits now. There's a lot of trails in that area though that cut back into the hills which would be worthy of a look or two. A few placer claims in the past along with the lodes. Not sure if they ever produced anything however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back