Curious

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Has anyone ran across a detailed description or a picture of how campsites/villages were set up? Mainly in the southeast. I've found a few articles on living arrangements but I'm more interested in other aspects such as did each family have their own work stations or were they pretty much communal? I've found an area that I'm wanting to map out. It seems like the flint comes in patches with several feet between them.

Upvote 3

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t help with that area but depends on the timeframe and area, I’ve read around here se Kansas the hopewell would set up base camps on major streams and have specialized satellite camps for various things like fishing or gathering mussels. I did a little work on the trowbridge site in kc and they buried dogs at the edges of thier camp possibly as a form of spiritual protection, as well as various other pits that became trash pits, farther north and west the Pawnee would sit on top of their earth lodges and general trash would collect outside the houses near the base. Other groups would orient their houses directionally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread