Current thoughts and questions from the newbie / teacher all in one.

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Sdc 2300, gold monster 1000 gpx 6000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have the gear, sluice, pans, classifiers, gold magic wheel.

Many thoughts as I take on the adventure of re self teaching and learning panning etc.
My friends kids like nieces basically are learning with me as well. I think I’ve gotten the panning down quite well. 3 1/2lb bags of gold rush paydirt resulted in .5 grams of gold. A nice snag!

I have over 30lbs of other purchased pay dirt which seems to have very small gold to almost micron gold.

As of now here is my kind of thoughts / questions in my head.
1. The big challenge I’m finding is a way to even using the blm to do a map/claim overlay! Im looking to avoid claims don’t want to accidentally end up on someone else’s claim.

2. I’ve thought about the GPAA, but I also figure a shared claim even at 20 acres had have to been quite well picked over. There is a claim in the area I’m looking at but it’s 20 acres at 2k..

3. With panning as a test of areas, once I find a good one I think I’m ready to sluice for hours and bucket up the concentrates for detailed clean out at home.

4. Pops in my head as usual.. how can I see these maps of claims and be able to
Recognize locations, maybe overlaying another map google earth etc?

5. Due to current job will be interesting to see how my body holds up haha, current shape isn’t the best.

6. Other than gold in the pan, gold in the sluice and gold in the vial, is there a cure for
Gold fever?! Haha. But also
I love nature, camping and getting out into wilderness.

7. So people always say east fort San Gabriel, or Lytle creek, is there any other areas where one can really run a sluice not 3 hours away from whittier ish area.
Or Any non traditional areas but legal lol!

I’ve done so much bought pay dirt that I also want to dig and classify some of
My own concentrates as well. Then when trapped at work I’ll have some pay dirt to work from home..
And

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dump that vial back into your old paydirt and pan it again. Practice, practice!

You might even find you have more gold in your paydirt than you recovered when first finished. Happens to me all the time.

Agreed, about 6 or 8 months into what has become sort of an obsession for me I thought I was the pan master! Then I started using a safety pan and quickly found out otherwise. You can also shave small pieces off a lead fishing weight and pan them, the weight is pretty close. Keep count of how many pieces you put into a pan and make sure you get em all when you pan it out. Oh, yeah if you paid any more than ten dollars a piece for those paydirt bags then that really sucks bud, find another paydirt seller.

Good luck man!

Charlie

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And weigh your gold with the pennyweight scale. 20 pennyweight to the troy ounce. Gold at $1340.00 _-one pennyweight is 10% ($134.00) divided by 2 equals $67.00 And, ah, I gotta get into the "paydirt" business.
If you really want a claim do a whole lot of reading of the advantages/dis-advantages of a fed. claim. From what I've been reading alot of Calif. claims of late are not being renewed. $1500 would go a long way to pay for someone to locate a 20 acre claim for you for nothing more than filing fees. I assume Calif. still has a small scale miners waiver so it becomes fairly cheap to keep up year after year. Not having to wonder and look over your shoulder while working your own area has a special appeal.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, and by the way if you want to donk around with your digital scale check out the old proven backwoods way to weigh an ounce of pot for your buddy. 82 cents using 6 coins equals one ounce. Figure it out....HA!

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and by the way if you want to donk around with your digital scale check out the old proven backwoods way to weigh an ounce of pot for your buddy. 82 cents using 6 coins equals one ounce. Figure it out....HA!
Good to know, I’ll have to test this out on this scale.. thanks

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And weigh your gold with the pennyweight scale. 20 pennyweight to the troy ounce. Gold at $1340.00 _-one pennyweight is 10% ($134.00) divided by 2 equals $67.00 And, ah, I gotta get into the "paydirt" business.
If you really want a claim do a whole lot of reading of the advantages/dis-advantages of a fed. claim. From what I've been reading alot of Calif. claims of late are not being renewed. $1500 would go a long way to pay for someone to locate a 20 acre claim for you for nothing more than filing fees. I assume Calif. still has a small scale miners waiver so it becomes fairly cheap to keep up year after year. Not having to wonder and look over your shoulder while working your own area has a special appeal.
Any suggestions on a scale that’s not to cheap on amazon that does penny weight?
And yea I called off the deal for now, history only goes back to 2016, and without a test
I can’t see buying a new claim that’s existed for a year at least according to the blm system.

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a spaghetti strainer, 5 gallon bucket, shovel, and one hell of a drunkin weekend after getting divorce....... Free at last Free at last was my quote of the weekend.

I still don't own a claim, I still find gold, And I own more Equipment. Use that $$$$ for better Equipment............ Learn,Learn,Learn.....
Oh yea I’m ready I’m hoping the gpaa claim has water running. I’ve got enough gear.
Sluice, gold wheel I can run dry or wet, classifiers and pans.
Now I need a day off work..

OP
OP
OneStudPuppy

OneStudPuppy

Jan 17, 2018
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, about 6 or 8 months into what has become sort of an obsession for me I thought I was the pan master! Then I started using a safety pan and quickly found out otherwise. You can also shave small pieces off a lead fishing weight and pan them, the weight is pretty close. Keep count of how many pieces you put into a pan and make sure you get em all when you pan it out. Oh, yeah if you paid any more than ten dollars a piece for those paydirt bags then that really sucks bud, find another paydirt seller.

Good luck man!

Charlie
Yea I think I’ve gotten decent on the panning,
As for pay dirt the gold rush 1/2 lb bags were 2.00 each.
40lbs of pay dirt from
“Another company” which I haven’t been the most impressed with was $150. Including bonus weight.
Main kicker with this one was ordering 20 2 lbs bags then their claim was one in three average were bonus bags with X3 gold etc. instead I got bulk packed gold and so far no “bonus” gold etc..

Really I need time to get out there in the Wild.
I kinda like the nugget bucket idea for making concentrate lol..
but I think with a day or so out in a field I’ll come home with cons to process.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most digital scales have a DWT mode. Pennyweight

Just make sure you get one that weighs down to .01 "hundredths".

It makes weighing gold about as accurate as you will need.

.24 on a cheap scale is better .2 on a pricey one

My on site panning lesson bags all have a tenth of a gram guaranteed.

If I used a scale that only weighed in .1 that could make anything in between that and .2 would count.

With the proper scale I can stop adding to the tray when it dances to .11

With gold every bit counts. So, make sure you count it right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread