Curt Gentrys book "Killer Mountains" ...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curt Gentry's book "Killer Mountains" ...

Just finished the book last night and wondered what some of you long time LDM searchers/researchers thought of it?

It was certainly a good read and while it seems the author probably included some things to enhance the suspense and mystery of the story it was very interesting to follow the research Magill did to come to his conclusions.

Do you think they really did find and excavate the mine to the point where they were convinced it was worked out?

What about the reference and information regarding who he believes killed Adolph Ruth?

It seemed that alot of the clues and research he did pointed to the spot that they discovered and excavated. On the other hand, I can imagine that once again, if you find yourself so caught up in researching something like this and invest so much time and effort into it, you could find yourself on a path where instead of letting the research guide you, you start forcing landmarks and other things to "fit" your theory.

Just curious what some of you thought of the story - if nothing else, it honestly was a very interesting story.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Re: Curt Gentry's book "Killer Mountains" ...

Cubfan,

Glenn Magill really did a good job of researching the story that Curt Gentry ended up writing. For even more insight into Magill's research, you should try to get a copy of Gene Reynold's "Borrego 13". I know Gene has a few CDs left, but also know that he does not have much interest in selling more copies. If you can get his permission, I will be happy to send you a copy.

One of the first copies of "The Killer Mountains" that came off the press, was given to Curt's mother. It was signed in this manner:

August 15, 1968

Mom-
Now you can see why Laura was so worried when I made my trip to Arizona last year.
But that's past, and here's the book.
Love,
Curt

I can tell you this about Bluff Spring Mountain: Someone has spent extensive time up there, and used a chopper to make numerous trips onto the mountain......all in one night, that I know of. I assume something was being taken in........or out. :o

I doubt it had anything to do with Magill's "find", but that's just my personal opinion.

You might want to look for a copy of "Tales of the Superstitions" by, Robert Blair. If you can find it in hardback, it's a much nicer book. Holds together better. :) If you can find one signed by Blair, it's even better.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the response Joe - I was beginning to think nobody believed anything in the book since nobody responded.

Although I've obviously never been to the Superstitions, the story was a pretty convincing one.

There are an awful lot of "facts" presented in the book that ended up fitting the legends surrounding the LDM, and considering he researched the heck out of it as you agree and then followed a map given to him directly by Edwin Ruth has some merit as well.

I was particularly struck by the fact that the interpretation of the map led them to not only a tunnel, but also to what appears to have turned out to be an old shaft of some kind (funnel shaped) that had been extensively filled in. If the story is correct, they found "shelves" along the shaft/pit as they dug and blasted deeper and eventually came across timbers as well near the bottom.

I'll see if I can get ahold of Mr. Reynolds and find out about the CD, and I'll also be on the lookout for "Tales of the Superstitions."

Some of the "threat" stuff Magill's group dealt with is almost reminiscent of the wild west with the helicopter being tied down, gunshots, threatening letters, etc... I don't know how much of that was editorial license, but it was crazy to read about and realize it was the 1960's and not the 1830's.

I'm starting to form some of my own opinions now about the mine and the gold. I'm sure it'll be swayed back and forth the more research I do.

Thanks again - oh, I picked up Helen Corbin's "Bible" and am already amazed at the amount and detail of information in there!!

Best wishes

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Cubfan,

I was hoping someone else would reply, but that was not happening so.....

Helen Corbin's "Bible...." is indeed informative. Most of the manuscripts and documents have been floating around for quite some time. Some of the "new" information is not without authenticity problems, but I believe she had nothing to do with that. I trust she took the documents at face value.

Some of the material was supplied to others, with the express agreement that it remain confidential. Through "other means" that information came into the hands of the her source(s), and she was able to include it in her book. I believe it was without any knowledge, on her part, of how it was attained.

Some of Chapter 7, is..... questionable.

Let me know if you have a problem finding Blair's book. I have an extra copy in hardback. It's not signed, but it is in fine condition.

Take care,

Joe

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

Magill never found the LDM... good book ... i saw my frist copy in 1970

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the blindbowman said:
Magill never found the LDM... good book ... i saw my frist copy in 1970

Very convincing analysis and argument ::)

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

i read the book dozens of times .. it dose have a lot of good facts as well as a good story ...

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the blindbowman said:
i read the book dozens of times .. it dose have a lot of good facts as well as a good story ...

And let me guess, your reasoning and arguments for why Magill didn't find the LDM is because you've found it right?

I was looking more for some discourse about some of his research and where it led him and such - not just the response that he "didn't find it." How do we know he didn't find it and that it was worked out?

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

why we are at it ...have you ever read this "Analysis of the Peralta Map

By Richard A. Robinson

he took a copy out of the killer mts book of what he calls the Peralta map ...its the bigist BS i ever herd ...lol

for one the map in the killer mts . is not the real ruth map ...

ask Clay worst , in the tv speacal the historical socity showed the real ruth map .. they are nothing a like when you know what to look for ... Richard A. Robinson may be a smart man . i dont know him my self .. but i have seen both maps and the map in the killer mts . is a poor copy at best ....who ever made the copy did a piss poor job of it ...

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

Cubfan64 said:
the blindbowman said:

And let me guess, your reasoning and arguments for why Magill didn't find the LDM is because you've found it right?

I was looking more for some discourse about some of his research and where it led him and such - not just the response that he "didn't find it." How do we know he didn't find it and that it was worked out?

there is a very simple answer to that question . because the peralta map dose not pin pionts the LDM .....LOL

when you know what the knife on the heart map means call me ....

cub :

magill made misteaks , one was not haveing the real ruth map ..that may have been the truning piont ...

he did ,do some good background work ..in researching the jesuits and kino .. and the over all history of the area ..and legends of the area ...

magill stated the ruth map led him to the LDM location .. thats why i stated he never found the LDM because the ruth map has nothing to do with the LDM .. .. i have translate both the stones and the ruth map and they do not piont out the LDM ....

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the blindbowman said:
Cubfan64 said:
the blindbowman said:

there is a very simple answer to that question . because the peralta map dose not pin pionts the LDM .....LOL

when you know what the knife on the heart map means call me ....

cub :

magill made misteaks , one was not haveing the real ruth map ..that may have been the truning piont ...

he did ,do some good background work ..in researching the jesuits and kino .. and the over all history of the area ..and legends of the area ...

magill stated the ruth map led him to the LDM location .. thats why i stated he never found the LDM because the ruth map has nothing to do with the LDM .. .. i have translate both the stones and the ruth map and they do not piont out the LDM ....

BB - your continual edits make it so difficult to follow your arguments - one minute you say one thing, and the next it's taken out and something else is stated.

I'm convinced you come here just to play games.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Cubfan,

Are you saying that BB is still posting here? :o

"I'm convinced you come here just to play games."

At what point did you first suspect that? :D

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
Cubfan,

Are you saying that BB is still posting here? :o

"I'm convinced you come here just to play games."

At what point did you first suspect that? :D

Take care,

Joe

Yah yah, I know "ignore" is the best option :)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Cubfan,

After so many deletions and wholesale changes in bowman's posts, I realized there was no future in continued conversations....other than for the laughs he caused with his foolishness.

On the other hand, perhaps he is on something, er.....make that onto something. :)

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
Cubfan,

After so many deletions and wholesale changes in bowman's posts, I realized there was no future in continued conversations....other than for the laughs he caused with his foolishness.

On the other hand, perhaps he is on something, er.....make that onto something. :)

Take care,

Joe

Yah, I know what you mean - this thread has been a classic one - Every time I've come back and checked it his posts are different or deleted.

Even if there was something credible to his posts other than "LOL's," his theory's stated as "FACT" (which alone tells me he doesn't know the meaning of the word fact) and spelling so atrocious that you have to spend twice as long just trying to decipher the meaning, the fact that he's constantly changing and/or deleting them makes it truly impossible to follow.

Still working on getting a copy of Blair's book.

later

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

c oo a c aw c a ca h ha na za na za

a na s es w n ah sa na za na zz a h... A H

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

what did they exspect from the indains ,

Pima (southwest Arizona):
After the earth had become peopled, the great eagle told a seer in the Gila valley, on three occasions, to warn the people about a great flood that would soon come, but the seer ridiculed him and ignored his warnings. Scarcely had the bird gone for the third time when a tremendous clap of thunder was heard. When morning came, the earth trembled, and a great green wall of water roared down the valley and destroyed everything in it. Szeukha, son of Chiowotmahke (Earth maker), saved himself by floating on a ball of pine resin. When the water receded somewhat, he landed on a mountain above the Salt River; his cave and tools can still be seen there. Szeukha made a ladder that reached into the clouds and went to fight the great eagle, whom he thought had caused the flood. They fought long, but at last he killed the eagle. He found the bones and corpses of the people which the eagle had abducted and returned them to life. He also rescued a pregnant woman and her child. The eagle had stolen her and taken her for his wife. She became the mother of the Pima people. [Erdoes & Ortiz, pp. 473-475; Gaster, p. 115]

The Creator, Earth Doctor, made the mountains, the waters, the plants; he made the sun and moon in their courses. Then he made all kinds of birds and creeping things, and he made clay images and commanded them to become living humans. They obeyed him, multiplied, and spread over the earth. In time, as sickness and death were still unknown, the population outran the available sustenance, and people faced ever-increasing famine. The Creator resolved to destroy the creatures he had made, so he pulled down the sky, crushing to death all living things. Then he restored the world and made humans again. The earth gave birth to one known as Siuuhû or Elder Brother. He spoke harshly to the Creator, and the Creator feared him. Elder Brother shortened people's lives so that they didn't multiply out of control as before. He resolved further to destroy mankind entirely with a great flood. He created a handsome youth to go among the Pimas, wed their women, and beget children, staying with each wife only until his first child was born. The first wife gave birth four months after marriage and conception, and the gestation periods became shorter with each successive wife, until the last child was born at the time of the marriage. (The people were amazed and frightened by the powers shown by Elder Brother and his agent during these years.) This last child's screams shook the earth, and it was he who caused the flood. Meanwhile, Elder Brother had begun fashioning, out of black gum, a jar in which to save himself, and he announced his purpose to the Creator. The Creator called the people together and warned them of the nearing flood. He thrust his staff into the ground, boring a hole all the way through the earth. Some people took refuge in the hole. Other people appealed, futilely, to Elder Brother. Elder Brother did tell coyote to find a big log on which to float safely on the flood. Elder Brother closed himself in the jar, known as Black House, and the flood came. The jar bobbed on the waters until it came to rest near the mouth of the Colorado River. It may be seen there today; it is called Black Mountain. The Creator survived the flood by enclosing himself in his reed staff and floating. The coyote survived on his driftwood. Only five sorts of birds survived, including the flicker and vulture, by clinging to the sky with their beaks until a god took pity on them and let them make nests from their own down and float in them. Some people survived in the hole which the Creator had made. Others survived in a similar hole made by a powerful person called South Doctor. Others appealed to the Creator, who told them to try to find refuge on Crooked Mountain, and he directed South Doctor to help them. South Doctor led the people to the summit and, with his enchantments, four times raised the mountain and arrested the rising waters, but then his powers were exhausted. He threw his staff into the water, where it cracked loudly. He sent a dog to see how high the tide had risen, and when the dog reported that the water was very near the top, the people were transformed into stone. You may see them there today. [Frazer, pp. 283-287]

"boring a hole all the way through the earth. Some people took refuge in the hole."

many of their people ,men ,women ,and childern tryed to hide from the great flood in the blowout hole .......

it is a well of souls to me ...a well of sorrow ... i hear them how could you not hear them .... if you do not hear them and only the gold speaks to you .... shame on you ...!

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm probably going to regret this, but...

BB - what do your last couple posts have to do with anything related to the subject at hand?

And for what reason did you post a photograph of one of many "Peralta" maps from the History Channel and then delete it 5 minutes later?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread