Customer wrapped rolls

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the most exciting thread in the world, but I would like to see responses to this. Do any of you guys hit CWR really hard, either exclusively or much more so than boxes? Also, to anyone that has done both CWR and BWR for quite some time, what produces better in the long run? I know the rule of thumb is CWR, but until this week (one full roll wheats, 4 rosies in $200 dimes), I have had terrible luck with CWR. I am thinking of doing them nearly exclusively in my hunt for the solid silver roll.

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWR kick MWR butts there is no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know how you guys find them. Every bank and CU I've been to around here has a counter, and they don't accept rolls.

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience my best bank boxes were 62 40%s in a box happened twice. I picked up customer wrapped rolls got $100 and 53 40% 1 90%... now boxes i cant get any keepers. Also picked up $120 original philadelphia mint roll and sold them for a profit from a customer so my luck is better with crw... i always call first. I know people dont like it but the banks around me either have no idea or i know which ones do and dont bother to go there

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
CWR
Got 2 silver quarters from 2 boxes of quarters.. ($1000) face.
got 200 silver quarters from $50 face :) ;)

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
I have found 4 solid rolls in the past 2 months visiting random banks asking for any and all halves. There is a downside, however. After an area is depleted it takes a while to get any more results for that area. Asking the same bank on a consistent basis for CWR's will tip off potential silver sniping tellers and decrease your take. My recommendation is to visit random towns and clean the banks out. Return monthly or bi-monthly.

HH,

Swade

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
accordselux said:
I dont know how you guys find them. Every bank and CU I've been to around here has a counter, and they don't accept rolls.

Buy the bags! Top them off if need be :-)

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with CWR is definately the supply.

Once you clear out a bank be it halves, dimes or what have you that branch may not have any real quantity of CWR for some time. Causing your search to expand wider and wider.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 4 solid rolls in the past 2 months visiting random banks asking for any and all halves. There is a downside, however. After an area is depleted it takes a while to get any more results for that area. Asking the same bank on a consistent basis for CWR's will tip off potential silver sniping tellers and decrease your take. My recommendation is to visit random towns and clean the banks out. Return monthly or bi-monthly.

HH,

Swade

Great advise, and I agree entirely. Going on a CRH tour has had some great results, and at the end of the day, its all about luck of the draw. You see posts of people who get a MWR that is loaded with silver because somebody dumped their collection and they stayed close to each other in the sorting process, and thus, made its way into a very fruitful MWR (few and far between). On the flip side, if you go into a bank where granny or grandson just deposits grandpa's silver, you would want to snag em(few and far between). I say, rule of thumb is CWRs before MWRs, but if the bank doesn't have CRWs, grab what you can, and deposit them on your way to the next bank.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have always concentrated on cwr and only recently started doing boxes. Cwr wins hands down.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we have where I live is CWR of everything. No bank will order halves anymore as the snowbirds destroyed that portion of the hobby when silver hit $50.00.
CWR of dimes are easy to find and prolific throughout my town. Half rolls are another animal in and of themselves. NOBODY has any half dollar rolls this time
of the year and with Silver starting its upward climb to $40.00, the tellers just laugh at you. <<<-----figuratively speaking.

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I've switched from ordering boxes to just hunting trays and CWR. I've had much more success doing that (6 solid rolls) than doing boxes or MWR.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started, CWR were all I could get. And I did really good with dimes, but absolutely horrible with halves and quarters. I did alright with nickels considering how little I actually searched.

Now, I search mainly boxes of halves and dimes.

CWR halves still suck around me, I do way better with boxes. CWR and MWR of dimes are about the same for me regarding keepers.

I find more in reject trays and teller trays than I do in CWR across any denomination.

I'll usually tack on as much CWR as I can after I pick up my daily boxes so as to cover my bases.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I am curious about something. I have asked our grocery store cash manager about ordering a box of halves from Brinks. She is looking into it but I am wondering is this a good idea or just a waste of time? Has anyone had any dealings with Brinks?

Sincerely, Garoulady

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a roll per roll basis, CWRs will outproduce MWRs quite handily. And, for the most part, your only chance of a truly HUGE score is from CWRs/bags. But, as with anything, there are drawbacks. First, you can't always find CWRs. Second, you can easily spend more in gasoline trying to run them down than you find in silver. I have on more than one occasion driven over 400 miles in a day searching for CWR halves and not found enough silver to even pay for the gas I burned on the trip. Vehicular expenses incurred while CRHing are no different than paying fees for boxes. At ~$4 per gallon of gasoline, those expenses can add up rather quickly.

My advice is to order boxes for a contant supply of coins to search, but also buy every CWR you come across. There is no need to choose. Do both.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would love to hit CWR's more but my area doesn't have any CWR, most coins go into one of the many free coin counting machines.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a roll per roll basis, CWRs will outproduce MWRs quite handily. And, for the most part, your only chance of a truly HUGE score is from CWRs/bags. But, as with anything, there are drawbacks. First, you can't always find CWRs. Second, you can easily spend more in gasoline trying to run them down than you find in silver. I have on more than one occasion driven over 400 miles in a day searching for CWR halves and not found enough silver to even pay for the gas I burned on the trip. Vehicular expenses incurred while CRHing is no different than paying fees for boxes. At ~$4 per gallon of gasoline, those expenses can add up rather quickly.

My advice is to order boxes for a contant supply of coins to search, but also buy every CWR you come across. There is no need to choose. Do both.

Good advice, this is what I'm focusing on now. I pick up my halves for the day, and any extra money I have I clean out the CWR at the surrounding banks to my halves pickup. I'm not big on driving too far with gas the way it is, not to mention I don't have a lot of time these days. I think though I'm giving up dime boxes and focusing only on dime CWR. Halves I will take any way I can get, I will never give up half boxes

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it a little differently. I have standing orders for 3k a week in halves. I also pick up crw upon dumping and picking up orders. There are a few counters but not to many around here, so crw are available in quantity. I used to buy all the dimes for example and pick up available halves and supplement with nickels, cents and quarters. I did ok but the average due to large volume dumps not just from other hunters but business dropped the averages down. So I changed my strategy. Now I still do the same on halves but I will pick up 100 dollars in dimes, 20 in nickels and 5 in cents, occasionally 50 in quarters. I will separate them in individual bags by bank as I am getting them. This has brought my averages for everything up. It has increased the number of solid rolls that I have found and best of all I have increased the chances of running across a collection dump. I can identify it form the particular bag/bank that it came from and go back to that bank and clean them completely out of that variety and others that may be there.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's showdown: $450 in customer wrapped dimes vs. $1000 in boxed halves. Let the games begin! I'll update

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on your area. I live in a big area full of Boeing and NASA employees and retirees, and about 1/2 of the city's population is smart enough to pick out the good stuff before depositing coin. CWRs in my area SUCK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions