CW belt buckle back side & material used?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW belt buckle back side & material used?

Do any of you CW relic buffs have a picture of what an OVAL shaped CW buckle would look like? If so, do you mind posting a photo or two?
The reason I am asking is, I dug up a rusty piece yesterday and am running it through electrolysis now. I swear it looks like a belt buckle, but need to see a good one to verify that. It should be cleaned up by tonight.
Also, what were the buckles made of back then? Any iron material that could rust, or were they all brass?
Thanks for your help,
MM

Re: CW belt buckle back side & material used?

i believe brass with lead fill
im reaching not sure ???

Upvote 0

O.K., here is the cleaned up piece.
CW buckle?
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 338
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 341
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 336
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 336
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 318
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 329
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 325
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 325
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 326
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 318
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 312
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

ModernMiner,

I've never heard of iron CW buckles...but I'm sure they existed somewhere along the line.  The gov't issued ones were lead-filled Brass (or in the case of sword belt plates and some buckles, stamped or cast brass).  That certainly does look like a buckle in shape, and the attachments on the back are similar to what one would find on a contemporaneous buckle.  I honestly don't know what you've got there... ???  :-\ At under four inches in length, it is baby buckle-sized. The attachment that remains on the back bends outward away from the buckle though--and I haven't seen that design before. They usually bent up and toward the center of the buckle. I suspect that there was a similar attachment on the other side of the piece (now broken off) and that it isn't what we hoped.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Thanks BB.
Oh well, I'll keep trying for a nice brass one. ;) If this isn't a buckle, it sure had me fooled. The material is what was throwing me off.
Maybe it is a more modern junk buckle? I always want to ask now since I threw away that CW belt keeper that time. :'( ;)
-Doug-

Upvote 0

ModernMiner said:
Thanks BB.
Oh well, I'll keep trying for a nice brass one. ;) If this isn't a buckle, it sure had me fooled. The material is what was throwing me off.
Maybe it is a more modern junk buckle? I always want to ask now since I threw away that CW belt keeper that time. :'( ;)
-Doug-

No sweat. I keep ALL my junque now and only toss it out after I am positive that it isn't anything worth keeping. I learned the hard way too. I threw away a CW "ball button" back in high school, and tossed a knapsack hook in a junk box because I didn't know what I had. It is always better to find out first.

Good Luck, and keep that uMax a swingin' ;)

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0

It looks ALMOST like some kind of lock plate with the OLD IRon hammer still attached. I have seen many where the hammer is all rusted away like the pic above. Can you post a couple more or Email them to me Doug?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back