Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, one of you Civil War buffs out there please tell me this is a CW bullet I found today. ???
If it is, I think it is my best find so far. It may not be much to some of you, but it sure made my day. ;D
After work, I hit the old farm property I've been detecting at. After digging up another ton of old farm iron out front, I hit a nice open grassy area and did pretty well.
*The CW bullet (?) I found about 6" deep right up by an oak tree (pictured).
*I found a neat brass (?) button too that says "B & Burnham * Extra" on the back of it.
Does anyone know anything about this button?
*My third dog tag from this site. The one toady is from 1947 (Raleigh).
*A 1951 (D) Wheat penny.
*Two more old keys.
*A rifle shell with a letter "C" on the bottom. It is 1" long. Anyone know what this is exactly?
*A large round painted item that I will post in the "what is it" section. Looks to be pretty old too.
This farm is 146 acres, so I've been kind of bouncing from place to place so far. If someone confirms this to be a CW bullet, I will focus on the grassy area where I found it. I ran out of daylight, so I had to give up for today.
Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 786
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 779
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 785
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 784
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 776
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 777
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 769
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 780
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 773
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 786
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 763
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 772
Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Yup, looks like a .58 caliber. Dang, your soil sure is good on artifacts. The bullet didn't get the white patina, the penny looks great for being dug AND the button has almost all it's gilt. What part of the country you in ? Low country SC ?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a 3 ringer to me. Thanks for posting those great pictures.

I found about 20 or so of those 3 ringers here in Ohio. They look about the same as yours. From what I could find out about the place I found them at, it was a target range for a local CW camp. They shot into this hill for target practice.

Again, Nice Finds, I would go back to that site and hit it a little harder.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Yup, looks like a .58 caliber. Dang, your soil sure is good on artifacts. The bullet didn't get the white patina, the penny looks great for being dug AND the button has almost all it's gilt. What part of the country you in ? Low country SC ?

Thanks for confirming that this is a CW bullet. Ya-hoooooo!!!
I ran all my finds through my rock tumbler with dishsoap & aquarium gravel for about an hour to clean them up. Hopefully, I didn't destroy the value of anything. ???
The soil I've been digging in is dark soft dirt, so it's been easy to recover the finds, unless I run into roots.
Thanks again. You can bet I'll be back at that spot soon. ;D
-MM-

Ben_banned

Jan 20, 2007
Cool, I have a few of those but didnt use a metal detector.
I found in my old backyard in Harpers Ferry WV.
John Brown anyone? Shame I dont still live their. :'(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM! 8) I KNOW that bullet find made your day!! :o It would have mine too!

Love them kinda hunts! Bullets and Buttons!! Great hunt!

Congrats! Nana ;)

Oh...and I wouldn't put the bullets in the tumbler. :)

D

DonC

The three ringer appears to be a 57 or 58 caliber, and from the photo , I would say that it is a drop which means to me that there could be more nearby.
I found the snaps from an ammo pouch and after scratching around I found about
twenty drops.
Congrats!!

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
The rimfire case is a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (22WMR). The C headstamp is for Cascade Cartridge Inc. That ammunition is made right here in Lewiston,Idaho. We use 'em for ground squirrels.

jeff from east pa

Feb 13, 2006
great finds. I would not put bullets in a tumbler just wash them of with water. you want to keep the patina on them. I would not put buttons in a rock tumbler if you over clean it you can ruin it's value. great stuff

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
MM,

That's a three ringer for sure! Don't put them in the tumbler anymore. Congratulations!

Nice finds all around, but the bullet is in mighty great shape. You should put that one in a display case. I still have my first two.

Great job! ;)

Ridley

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
MM!!! :) :) Awesome finds... I'm happy for you! And that is a damned pretty button too.

FYI on your button: It was made by Benedict & Burnham who operated from 1834 to 1843. They were the predecessor of Waterbury Button Co. (One of the huge CW uniform button makers) :) Buttons of this period are noted for very high quality and they produced a lot of civilian buttons like your flower button.

E-Bay searches proved even some dug buttons by B & B are "buy it now" priced from 10 - 35 bucks! Thats almost gas money! :D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...please do not tumble...relics such as musketballs and 3 ringers look much better with the white patina!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it looks Civil war...the bullets after that tend to be more enlongated, better known as Buffalo bullets

HH
-GC

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
MM!!! :) :) Awesome finds... I'm happy for you! And that is a damned pretty button too.

FYI on your button: It was made by Benedict & Burnham who operated from 1834 to 1843. They were the predecessor of Waterbury Button Co. (One of the huge CW uniform button makers) :) Buttons of this period are noted for very high quality and they produced a lot of civilian buttons like your flower button.

E-Bay searches proved even some dug buttons by B & B are "buy it now" priced from 10 - 35 bucks! Thats almost gas money! :D

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew the button was of high quality, but had no idea it was that old. Great news.

When it comes to CW bullets, what is the difference between the number of rings (2 rings, 3 rings) I see on some posted? Is the the size of caliber?

Any good CW sites anyone could recommend to identify CW artifacts?
And NO, I will NOT be using my rock tumbler to clean any future CW finds. ;D

Thanks again,
MM

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congrats on your CW stuff! Really cool! You take some awesome pictures too.....thanks for sharing them with us!

Keep up the good work dude!

HH,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread