I took the detector for a walk

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
this is what I found. 3 old pennies, I can read 1888 on one. They need a bath along with the clad from the back yard. There were a couple of CW bullets from a site in Richmond I hunted last week.
I wandered back around the lake at my home looking for a tree I had carved my name in as a kid, along with a few generations of my family. Some dating back to 1901. Around this tree there were loads of the Western Field shotgun shells. On the way back in the middle of the woods on high ground I found the whatsit at about 6". I can see the design was trimmed in red. Any ideas?

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 733
  • CW bullets.jpg
    CW bullets.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 729
  • whatits.jpg
    whatits.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 712
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds Charlene! Hmmm...don't know about the thingy.

HH!
TBGO

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Those old indian heads are a nice find.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Charle! Would love to see some pictures of your area next time you are out! Sounds like a very special place. :)

Congrats! Nana :)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE finds love the tree story.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
C,

nice group of finds; no idea on the last one.

Congrat on the IH.

Good you still getting out.
What is the weather like in your area?

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Charlene,
Your whatsit looks like a "book fitting" from the Arts and Crafts movement. It's definitely Arts and Crafts period.

It may also be from a piece of furniture or an appliance.

In any case don't shine it up or clean it anymore. It may belong in a museum. Some of the Arts and Craft movement stuff is very rare.

Nice find!

Cheers!

Ridley

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hi Charlene! Cool pennies! As for the whatzit could we please have a pic of a side view and the back when you have a chance?
Any idea what it's made of? Embossed or molded?
Never seen anything like it. a real challenge! hehe :)

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Way to go Charlene!! I've yet to find an IH, so kudos to you! Your whazit looks like it was sewn onto something because of the double holes on each end. I go with Ridley on that one. Maybe it belonged on a piece of furniture at one time. Thanks for sharing!

HH,
Moon

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
An 18 something penny and a cool whatsit....Sounds like a great day!
Wonderful job.
HH
~Nash~

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Charlene,

Glad you was able to get out for a few and just look what you found. Looks like you had a good day. ;D ;D
No clue on the whatzit.

;) RR

OP
OP
Charlene

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Thanks everyone,

Nana, I'll be sure to take some pictures around here. I live in the low lands of Virginia, alot of fields, lakes, swamps and critters.

aa battery and Country Girl, its a cool old tree, but its dying rapidly now, makes me want to cry each time I go there. :'(
The date is 1901.

Sherman, the weather was as fine as the hair on a crickets butt up until about 2 weeks ago. Since then, we've seen the wind chill drop the temps to single digits. Only two snows thus far this season, a couple of inches each time. The last one being just last week. How are you holding out in IL?

arkhunter, thank you, every detectorist needs to hear they have a real nice whatsit every once in awhile. :P

Ridley, I think your right its definitely a decor piece to some long gone piece of furniture. But the nearest field was 1/4 of a mile off, I couldn't locate anymore trash in the immediate area surrounding it. One of those things that make me go Hhhuummm ??? Thats why it keeps me so interested in the hobby.

Daisy, gottcha a couple of pictures below, bottom view and side, sorry one is blurred. A magnet won't stick to it. Can you tell me how to differentiate between molded and embossed Plz.. and thank you.

Moonshadow, that IH is going to pop out in one of your digs when you're least expecting it.

Thank you to everyone that took a gander at it. I always get a kick out of your postings and learn from all your finds.

My Girl River!!! Hows it going? any points lately?

Attachments

• 1901.jpg
    1901.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 366
  • whatsitbackside.jpg
    whatsitbackside.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 391
  • whatsitside.jpg
    whatsitside.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 391

RED THUNDER

Dec 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Nice finds Charlene! Glad to see some are still able to get
out and all due to the weather. Sounds like a nice area to
search on. Motor on!

Red Thunder

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
This is the best way I can describe the difference. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject so please bare with me here. :-\

Molded - The metal is heated until it become liquid. It is then poured into a mold and when it cools it hardens in the mold, keeping that shape.

Emboss - the form is given by using a template to "stamp" (force) a pattern/shape into a sheet of solid metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread