🔎 UNIDENTIFIED CW Bullets- ID and Info?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again!
I was wondering if anyone on here was a CW aficionado, who could tell me exactly what these (very few) bullets I have found in my area (NW MO)?
Also, would a 'fired' bullet show rifling? Are any of these fired?
Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

• 07-13-22 Becky's R Hunts- TWO CW Bullets1 (2).jpg
    07-13-22 Becky's R Hunts- TWO CW Bullets1 (2).jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 07-13-22 Becky's R Hunts- TWO CW Bullets2.jpg
    07-13-22 Becky's R Hunts- TWO CW Bullets2.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 06-14-21 Randy's Hunt 1.0 Hrs- .69 cal CS Bullet (2).jpg
    06-14-21 Randy's Hunt 1.0 Hrs- .69 cal CS Bullet (2).jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 06-14-21 Randy's Hunt 1.0 Hrs- .69 cal CS Bullet2 (2).jpg
    06-14-21 Randy's Hunt 1.0 Hrs- .69 cal CS Bullet2 (2).jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 35

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We need PRECISE diameter measurements, meaning, in hundredths of an inch.

While we wait for the diameter measurements:
They all APPEAR to be .69-caliber civil war "Minie-bullets." The one in photos by itself, having only two body-grooves, is extremely rare. Some collectors call it a "Port Hudson" (LA) Minie=bullet, because that battle-&-siege is one of the just 2 or 3 known places where that type has been found. It is thought to have been used by the yankees.

Your pointed-nose .69-caliber Minie-bullet is a generic 3-groove version, which was used by both the USA and CSA troops.

The other one, which seems to have a very rounded short nose, is an uncommon type, found mostly in what was called the Trans-Mississippi theater. It too could have been used by either side.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need PRECISE diameter measurements, meaning, in hundredths of an inch.

While we wait for the diameter measurements:
They all APPEAR to be .69-caliber civil war "Minie-bullets." The one in photos by itself, having only two body-grooves, is extremely rare. Some collectors call it a "Port Hudson" (LA) Minie=bullet, because that battle-&-siege is one of the just 2 or 3 known places where that type has been found. It is thought to have been used by the yankees.

Your pointed-nose .69-caliber Minie-bullet is a generic 3-groove version, which was used by both the USA and CSA troops.

The other one, which seems to have a very rounded short nose, is an uncommon type, found mostly in what was called the Trans-Mississippi theater. It too could have been used by either side.
Thanks for the in-depth reply!
No problem on the dimensions- I am a machinist- (altho with damages, they won't be symmetrical): The lighter colored one is .660-.710" diameter and approximately .980" long. The other one is .709-.720" diameter and .865" long. The 2-ringer is stored right now, but it was also a .690"(ish) measurement. I can dig it out later, if needed, but not until I get a day off- working 12hrs each, until Monday... That help any?

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread