JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button a couple of years ago in my town. This part of NC didn't see much CW action but a Yankee raiding party did come ashore at our town and burn the connecting bridge, destroyed a local gristmill, and made an effort to get the local men to jump ship and swear their loyalty to the north. I believe this button to be a Federal Marine button from that group of raiders. The button is in rough condition but you can see an eagle sitting atop an anchor with stars around the perimeter. I bought my wife a new camera so I thought I would post these pics of the button to see what the experts think. Thanks for any comments and thoughts you may have!

Attachments

• MarinebuttonFront.jpg
    MarinebuttonFront.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 279
  • MarinebuttonFront2.jpg
    MarinebuttonFront2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 266
  • MarinebuttonBack.jpg
    MarinebuttonBack.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 302

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marine button "Yes",cant see the backmark,to give you an idea of age :dontknow:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
marine button --yep -old yep -- might be one from the CW raiding party esp if found in the areas they hit -- a back mark ( lettering) from off the rear would be a big help --clean very carefully and gentle

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you clean that button with water? :-\ Toothpick, toothpick, toothpick those backmarks. Can you see anything on the backmark at all?

-Buckles

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
marine button --yep -old yep -- might be one from the CW raiding party esp if found in the areas they hit -- a back mark ( lettering) from off the rear would be a big help --clean very carefully and gentle

He has already cleaned it.

Jim,

I have a good post in the cleaning and preservation section on cleaning buttons.

-Buckles

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I was speaking of the "cleaning up" of the back * as in when cleaning up the lettering --be very careful and gentle -- like you say use toothpicks and take yer time --slowly and easily

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
I was speaking of the "cleaning up" of the back * as in when cleaning up the lettering --be very careful and gentle -- like you say use toothpicks and take yer time --slowly and easily

And I am speaking of the fact that the back is already as clean as a baby's butt. No point in toothpicking after all the dirt is already gone!

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It's kind of hsrd to tell but looks like the backmark might be HORSTMANN PHILADELPHIA. If it is then the button is from the late 1800's to about 1840. Can you tell if that's what it is and if not can you make out any of the letters on the back. It's a bit late for this button but check on buckleboys link about cleaning buttons. Some good advice there for next time. If you were to put some dirt or baby powder on the back and then blow it, or gently rub it off you might be able to make out the backmark.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
It's kind of hsrd to tell but looks like the backmark might be HORSTMANN PHILADELPHIA. If it is then the button is from the late 1800's to about 1840. Can you tell if that's what it is and if not can you make out any of the letters on the back. It's a bit late for this button but check on buckleboys link about cleaning buttons. Some good advice there for next time. If you were to put some dirt or baby powder on the back and then blow it, or gently rub it off you might be able to make out the backmark.

Yes--talcum powder may help. Sprinkle on and wipe off with a finger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Unfortunately I found this button at a time when I didn't take too many pains with cleaning an item and I used electrolysis, baking soda, and a good scrub with soap and water. The button was in rough condition already and the cleaning that I did at least made it recognizable although I probably was a little over zealous in my efforts. I will try the talcum powder and see if that will help in reading the backmark. Again, thanks for the replies!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread