What's new

CW relics - IDs needed

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW relics - ID's needed

These relics came off a CW battleground. The only piece I have an ID on so far is the canteen stopper chain.
Any guesses on the other items? :dontknow:
Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-007S.webp
    MVC-007S.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 320
  • MVC-008S.webp
    MVC-008S.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 295
  • MVC-009S.webp
    MVC-009S.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 313
  • MVC-054S.webp
    MVC-054S.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 337
  • MVC-055S.webp
    MVC-055S.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 324
  • MVC-056S.webp
    MVC-056S.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 313
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

looks like a stike a lite on the left side of the ruler
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

Hardy said:
looks like a stike a lite on the left side of the ruler

Thanks Hardy,
???? What the heck is that? ??? :dontknow:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

Doug,

I don't think it's a canteen stopper chain. It is a nipple protector chain. M1853 Enfields had the teardrop design for the nipple protector chain. (The canteen chains had wider loops which were Not the teardrop design, if I recall correctly.)


Enfield.webp


Is the "cup" brass, tin, or pewter?


Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

CMON Doug, You don't know what a stike a lite is????? Hardy? Whisper in my ear what a stik a lite is. As far as the chain goes Doug, I just saw Buckles post. And that would be a great find. I thought it was a restricter chain to an old desktop to keep the top from being lifted too high.
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

The item with the PPossible handle is the right size for a issued cup.
The item to the right of the ruler is a handmade hoof pick.
Not sure about the others. Still looking.
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

BuckleBoy said:
Doug,
I don't think it's a canteen stopper chain. It is a nipple protector chain. M1853 Enfields had the teardrop design for the nipple protector chain. (The canteen chains had wider loops which were Not the teardrop design, if I recall correctly.)



Is the "cup" brass, tin, or pewter?Regards,
Buckles

A nipple protector. Man, they thought of everything back then. ;D :wink: Great ID Buck. :thumbsup: Thanks for that picture.

I'm pretty sure the cup is tin.
-Doug-
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

Man, you Civil War guys sure know your stuff! :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

TiredIron said:
M.M.
Your Butt Plate is off a 1853 Enfield Barrett.......so your nipple protector chain may as well be too...... :headbang:

TiredIron

Nice call! I was just looking at that. :thumbsup: Yes, MM I think you have a squooshed tin cup there. :)


Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

So far you guys are killing on the ID's.
THANKS to all of you.
I knew you guys would have the answers.

Here's more pix of that pewter piece and the chain.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-060S.webp
    MVC-060S.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 276
  • MVC-059S.webp
    MVC-059S.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 253
  • MVC-061S.webp
    MVC-061S.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 275
  • MVC-057S.webp
    MVC-057S.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 253
  • MVC-058S.webp
    MVC-058S.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

tymcmurray said:
The item with the PPossible handle is the right size for a issued cup.
The item to the right of the ruler is a handmade hoof pick.
Not sure about the others. Still looking.

BuckleBoy said:
TiredIron said:
M.M.
Your Butt Plate is off a 1853 Enfield Barrett.......so your nipple protector chain may as well be too...... :headbang:

TiredIron

Nice call! I was just looking at that. :thumbsup: Yes, MM I think you have a squooshed tin cup there. :)
Regards,
Buckles

Thanks for the cup ID & the hoof pick ID guys.
Dang this is an informative site! :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW relics - ID's needed

If by "Strike-a-light" you mean like a "Flint & Steel" set....they were usually high carbon steel formed like the letter "C' that you draped over your four fingers. This loop item looks to me like wrought iron that was "hand Forged" into a lunette ring. When you had horses or mules pulling your Artillery Carriage the "Limber" (containing the loaded shells, and tools) was towed behind by a tongue with a lunette ring. It doesn't look heavy enough to be an Artillery Carriage Lunette, but it could of been for something being towed that was smaller, possibly like a Limber.
The large "Staple" looking item might be just that. Its too narrow for a hoof pick and would have been curved on one end if they were going to the trouble to make it. Its 2-1/2 in wide just right for a metal or leather strap. Both the Artillery Carriage and the drawn Limber had cloth and leather straps as well as steel rings held in place by steel staples. These straps and rings held the various tools and buckets to the side of the Gun Carriage and the Limber Box. Two buckets (one for water one for grease) a wet and dry mop, a ram. I'm sure the Supply Wagons had various items hanging from them as well.
The Pewter handle.... :dontknow: I just know your smashed tin item as other have said sure looks like a cup. I know if everyone had a small cup and some utensils it sure would be nice to have a coffee pot of any sort to heat some water and make some Chicory in. If I was leaving home with my buddies and could have squirreled away a little container for that purpose I sure would of....and it might have been a decorative little pot with a pewter handle. "Mother will be pissed..... but this is WAR dang it!"

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom