CWRs vs. Boxes (MWRs)

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how all you half hunters do with your Customer Wrapped Rolls vs. the Machine Wrapped Rolls from boxes.

Statistically, I do way better with CWRs.

With every $500 I search in CWRs, I average 1.09 90%s and 8.17 40%s.
Per box ($500) in MWRs, I am pulling 0.26 90%s and 2.17 40%s.

In fact, by the numbers, I am pulling about 4x as much silver across the board in the CWRs vs. MWRs!

The numbers might be a bit skewed... If I call a bank and they have $800 in halves I won't buy them (figure they are dumps). If I bought every half I came across, the numbers might be different. I guess I would never know unless I obeyed one of the most important rules of CRHing: BUY THEM ALL. Who knows, maybe one of those big stashes of $800 in their vault was solid silver???

HH
BB

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By not buying the large amounts, you are undoubtedly avoiding many dumped coins. However, you are also basically eliminating any chance of nabbing that once-in-a-lifetime truly huge score.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All oif the CWR's I manage to score are all someones dumps, either re-rolled in the Strings wrapper or they actually take the time to roll them back into brown paper half dollar rolls. The last couple thousand have been all skunk. I don't even bother with them anymore. It's almost like a match around here. I drop off as many as I can at my local banks to let the intruders know this is "my territory" and they need to step off. A couple weeks later, the tellers know me and let me know what someone else has dropped off. The rolls are clearly searched, sometimes they're my rolls with my markings and they have bought them from one bank, searched em, and dropped em somewhere else. I hope they get the point that they are not going to find silver in my town. It's all been had.
PR

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I typically do well with CWRs, but my issue is finding them. I do okay finding them out in the exurbs where I live, but in the city I can almost never find them. Too many hunters in town I guess.I've pretty much gotten to the point it is worth ordering boxes and dealing with more clad because I ultimately save time and gas over trying to hunt down CWRs. Plus if I don't find coins to search I won't have any shot at keepers. That said, I am planning a road trip back home and am looking forward to hunting for CWRs in new territory.

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do better with CWRs as well. But my data is skewed as I only started collecting last fall. Through the holidays, I picked up a great many rolls that were being cashed in presumably to purchase Christmas gifts. These old stashes were loaded with silver.

But now, there are many fewer of those types of rolls. Most that I pickup now are dumps so I've cut back considerably. No time to deal with them.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you stop at a bank and they say we have 200$ worth or 150$ etc.etc. worth you can almost bet its a dump. Thats why i just purchase 50$ worth. If i find anything i will go buy the rest, if not i only have a small amount of halves to dump. I love when a bank tells me a customer just dropped off 20 or 40$ worth cause most of the time that is not a dump.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you stop at a bank and they say we have 200$ worth or 150$ etc.etc. worth you can almost bet its a dump. Thats why i just purchase 50$ worth. If i find anything i will go buy the rest, if not i only have a small amount of halves to dump. I love when a bank tells me a customer just dropped off 20 or 40$ worth cause most of the time that is not a dump.

They could go back and search the $100 you didn't buy and take the silver you could have gotten or another CRH could take it.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Some of my best finds have been with "dumps" in the $150-$300 range. In fact, early on in doing this, I happened upon $260 worth that a teller was all too happy to divest himself of. Three of them were solid silver rolls, with about a 2:1 ratio of 90% to 40%. Most of the 90s were Franklins with a few WLs mixed in. The remainder were higher-grade clad, which I initially saved for a time but then dumped again.

If I suspect a dump, I will ask for $100 to begin with. If they bring out rewrapped Brinks or NF String rolls, I stop there (and redump them elsewhere). If they bring out the brown paper wrappers, I "decide" to take them all.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are hardly any loose halves in my area, somebody is always swiping them up, "somebody came in earlier and bought them all", same old story.
I do only boxes, but do score the occasional silver from a teller who saves halves for me, they get only a few halves a month though. I would say my greatest percentage is in CWR's(loose halves from teller trays) considering I just suffered a $15,000(yup, 30-box) half dollar skunk streak.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There are hardly any loose halves in my area, somebody is always swiping them up, "somebody came in earlier and bought them all", same old story.
I do only boxes, but do score the occasional silver from a teller who saves halves for me, they get only a few halves a month though. I would say my greatest percentage is in CWR's(loose halves from teller trays) considering I just suffered a $15,000(yup, 30-box) half dollar skunk streak.

I don't do nearly the volume you do (although I probably do a fair number of dime boxes a week--the clear-wrapped ones are so easy to check and dump) but I've probably been spoiled by an initially abnormal number of good finds in the few months I've been doing this. All of those finds were from CWR.

The finds seemed to be more plentiful from late Autumn through mid-February. I'm doing more searching now than when I started out, but now I seem to be finding less.

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering. I've been searching pennies for a while, and I have only found 7 wheats in $75 dollars of pennies, all customer wrapped. Since people wrap them, and wheat pennies are getting scarce, couldn't that mean they are picking out the wheats while rolling pennies? If that is true, would it be better to search machine wrapped rolls for wheat pennies?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just wondering. I've been searching pennies for a while, and I have only found 7 wheats in $75 dollars of pennies, all customer wrapped. Since people wrap them, and wheat pennies are getting scarce, couldn't that mean they are picking out the wheats while rolling pennies? If that is true, would it be better to search machine wrapped rolls for wheat pennies?

If that seems to be the case, than yes. My best wheat cent scores are from one branch (30 min. away) that gives me all MWR (some Brinks some Skunk and Sons (String and Sons, never can find anything good with them). However, CWR is sometimes better if a collection is being dumped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread