What's new

CZ-3D vs. CZ-5 - How do they compare?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2012
Messages
8,693
Reaction score
22,109
Golden Thread
0
Location
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After a long break from it, I've had an itch lately to get back out and do some coin
shooting, but will need to get a proper machine.

I started detecting back in the 70's, and then in the early 80's moved up to
a Compass 420, then a White's 5000D Series II and GTI 1000. When the Fisher
CZ's came out in the 90's I bought a CZ-6a (water resistant version of the CZ-5) and
hunted hard with that machine for several years.

The CZ-6A was awesome for coin shooting, as it had a 3-tone audio discrimination
that made target ID and depth easy, plus it had awesome depth.

Sold that machine here on Tnet several years back. Since then I've had a Gold Bug Pro
and, currently, a brand new Nokta Fors Gold Pro Pack (extra coils, etc.). Unfortunately
there are not many places to nugget shoot around my home, so other than a couple
trips to the local HS it's never been used. Wife and I live on our SS, so I can't let an asset
like that sit around and gather dust, and plan to sell/trade this as a large part of the purchase
price of the new machine.

All that said, I've been shopping the "latest and greatest" of the newer digital machines,
and while they all look interesting, I really liked the handling and performance of the
good old CZ-6A. The CZ-3D looks to be very comparable to the CZ-5/6A, and from
the reviews it's got even greater depth.

Anyone have a CZ-3D? IF you also had a CZ-5, can you give a comparison of the
two?

If you're not a fan of the CZ-3D, which of the Fisher's would you recommend?

My budget limit is $800, and 99% of my hunting will be parks, open ground
areas (like very old parking lots) and parking strips, etc.

(Sorry for the long post...I never learned how to say write a whole
post in 5 sentences...:icon_scratch:)
 
They are basically identical machines except the Cz-3D is calibrated so that certain old coins will high tone instead of mid tone. I had a 5 and a 3D and it seemed like the cz-5 was more accurate but that could have been because I sent it in to fisher for a repair and they re-calibrated it. The 2 things I didn't like about that design was the very bad balance and they love to hit on deep iron. Other than that they are good machines.
 
Have to agree with Fletch.....I thought the CZ machines were very awkward to swing and loved deep rusty nails! I also don't like the fact that they are very limited on coil choices with no DD coils available. If you are dead set on one get the 1021 serial number CZ-3d or a CZ-5.....definitely not a newer CZ-3d. But I would recommend seriously considering newer machine like the F75 or T2....
 
Good luck on which ever you choose. I have been swinging the F75LTD2 for a couple years. I think you'd be delighted if you pulled the trigger on the stock F75. It is easy to swing, well balanced and there are plenty of coil choices from Fisher and after market brands. I rarely use boost process, (which comes with the more expensive unit). All new F75's come the DST upgrade which practically eliminated the EMI issues it had.
 
Thanks for all the great input. I do recall the CZ-6a being a bit heavy,
especially compared to the newer detectors.

Loco, I'll take a good look at the F75, but it seems to come
in multiple versions. If they do offer a 3 coil set, that would be
the way to go.
 
Mine came with the stock DD and the 5"DD. My dear wife bought me a 12" x 15" Nel butterfly coil for my birthday in 2015. I also bought a small elliptical concentric coil used earlier this year, not that I needed it, the deal was too good to pass up though. Like a stated, I hardly use the boost process, a new one for $599 is a steal compared to last year's prices. I mainly use the stock coil, but the 5"DD is great for hard to swing and trashy areas and the big coil is great for low target dense areas. Even though I have a Deus, I am so familiar with the F75 (2 years swinging) and I do not think I am giving up any noticeable depth to the XP. The Deus also may be up your alley. Not only is it cordless, it can run in 4 various distinct frequencies, so it's like having 4 VLF detectors in one. From the air test comparison's that I saw, the deus only goes about 1/4" deeper than the F75.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom