Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I'm from Maryland, and I've never seen one come from my neck of the woods. I went to a different beach than usual and it was polluted with modern change, but I also found what I believe is a very small Spanish Maravedis. Unfortunately almost all of the images on the coin are toast, so a picture won't help. But at least I was able to find a shipwreck coin. Now I have to find out what ship it came from, if possible.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
We'll I'm from Maryland, and I've never seen one come from my neck of the woods. I went to a different beach than usual and it was polluted with modern change, but I also found what I believe is a very small Spanish Maravedis. Unfortunately almost all of the images on the coin are toast, so a picture won't help. But at least I was able to find a shipwreck coin. Now I have to find out what ship it came from, if possible.

smokeythecat, If you can post the name of a town NEAR where you found the coin? Then maybe someone on here may be able help you. Many years ago, I know that there was a museum in Ocean City that had some Spanish Coins in it. If it's still there? Perhaps one of the people in the museum might be able to help you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dewey Beach, Delaware. It has very little detail left on it and Is about the size of a US 3 cent silver but is in copper.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've been to that museum. Coin was found too far south for the wreck of the HMS Severn near Lewes, also too far south for the DeBraak. Too far north for the Faithful Stewart or Three Brothers, although they would be the closest although there was a sizeable wreck only about 1 mile north but it was from the 20th Century. Too far north for the who knows what their names were wrecks near Bethany or Fenwick Island. I wonder how much this stuff moves over time.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Yes, I've been to that museum. Coin was found too far south for the wreck of the HMS Severn near Lewes, also too far south for the DeBraak. Too far north for the Faithful Stewart or Three Brothers, although they would be the closest although there was a sizeable wreck only about 1 mile north but it was from the 20th Century. Too far north for the who knows what their names were wrecks near Bethany or Fenwick Island. I wonder how much this stuff moves over time.
smokeythecat, just my 2 cents worth, because that coin could have came from any wreck. If it was me and I would would see about doing a survey off the beach where the coin was found. I doubt the coin traveled very far underwater.
I know the Juno was reported to be found, but was it??? I don't know of any coins that were found that support that.
Just like I heard that the La Galga was found at a certain location, but I think it really sank further South off another beach. I know this is all speculation and it really doesn't matter. The point is that you may to onto a wreck that no one has found yet. :cross:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do my best to get a picture but it's one of those turn it this way and that way and hold it to the light and see if you can see anything. I think it's a Maravedis because it's copper, is thicker than the two jettons I have and is EXTREMELY old. My daughter thought she saw a lion on it, lying down. I can't see that. Will be getting out the camera a little later, but still, it was something old and not just another Lincoln penny.

Old man, can a coin turn up over 2 miles from a known wreck?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some sort of device on it, or used to be. Almost looks like an "x" but my daughter sees something else. I'm definitely going to have to study some older coins and maybe can come up with something. It is very old and very toast. mara.jpg mara2.jpg I also can't tell which was is "up".

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh my old stomping grounds.

The area had early visitors so the coin could be from anything... There are so many pirate stories it makes the mind wander!

Rhodes pond/Silver lake was a frequent stop for pirates/ships to gather fresh water as it is just over the dunes.

"Early in Colonial days, ship captains knew that Silver Lake was a handy place to secure fresh water before heading out into the Atlantic. The settlers of Lewes, however, tried several times to prevent pirates from filling their casks by sending armed men here to drive them off."

"The earliest name applied by English settlers to Silver Lake was Rhodes Pond. This was for the John Rhodes (Roads) family that acquired a Duke of York patent (grant) to the nearby land, beginning in 1676, and ultimately surrounding the entire lake."

I'd trust your daughter's eyes, it's not always nice having youthful eyes tell you they read 1987??? on your corroded "copper coin" but it is helpful! < My true story this summer :BangHead:

For what it's worth I highly doubt "ocean coins" travel much unless they have some other object that floats them around.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heh I was typing as you were...

After looking quickly... in the bottom pic at 3 o'clock it looks like an 8 straight up and down and then below that a 7, below the seven and perpendicular it looks like a P with the flat side down and the curve up... Maybe?

I'm not saying it is but the "copper coin" in the above post looked like that and was a modern Dime...

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au Dreamers, first thing I thought of was a badly corroded 1965 to present Roosevelt but this is far too small. Diameter is just under 15mm, a rosie is about 18. Weight is just UNDER 1 gram, although obviously some weight has been lost. The rim looks intact, so I doubt it was much bigger when made.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the other side. mara3.jpg If it were a Rosie, there should be something that looks like a bust on it, but I don't see anything. Like I said - toast!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked for MILES yesterday and Saturday. Almost from Dewey to the Indian River Bridge over 2 days. Legs are throbbing. Still. I did get one "treat". I looked about half a mile behind me at one point, no one else was out, and the big snowy owl had landed on the beach where I had been about half an hour before. I walk slow. A jeep went by me and headed in the owl's direction. Well, eventually the owl flew off, so I yell to my daughter (who also has headphones on), look- the owl! She sees it. It passes behind a dune and then we see THREE birds flying. A pair of bald eagles were scoping out the owl and what the owl had caught for lunch. They got into an aerial spat with the owl and the owl took off. A few minutes later one of the eagles landed on the beach and got the "leftovers" from the owl's dinner. Thieves. Saw that on TV but never in person before. Awesome sight.

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps a Danish Skilling looks right for its size dated late 1800`s, just a wild guess

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure. There is a trace of something silver on one side. Like a tiny speck. Don't know if it's from bumping into something else or what.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the verdict is in. We won't name the thread the Maryland Maravedis anymore. I smeared some grease on the thing and FINALLY got it oriented correctly. It's a totally wasted clad Roosevelt. Go figure.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it revealed it's true useless self eventually. Was at the same spot the other day and got skunked. A lot of sand moved, just not in the right direction.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro and Whites coin master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin needs electrolysis really badly! You should look into makeing an electrolysis kit. I've made many and there easy to make and use. there are some videos on youtube and on google that will help you out and you can probably do it for less than $5 and it will last a long time. Electrolysis is great and will most likely make that rough top layer flake right off and restore some of the coin. Good luck and great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread