896.3 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
C

CrazedHoosier

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure it's just a maple tree. The marks on the North and South sides. It's inconsistent, though. Sort of all over.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As one possibility: porcupines will chew on trees to get to the inner bark (xylem). Maple trees have sugar in the sap/inner bark.

wpe55.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CrazedHoosier

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so sure Southern Indiana normally has porcupines. If they do, how high will they go? The marks on the tree went up about 30-40 feet high.

Upvote 0

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are seeing the emerald ash borer in action . killing ash all over. it will die but makes good fire wood. just dont transport the wood , forestry service is prohibiting it. theres nothing you can do but cut it and burn it for firewood. woodpeckers are after the larva its why the bark is coming of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are seeing the emerald ash borer in action . killing ash all over. it will die but makes good fire wood. just dont transport the wood , forestry service is prohibiting it. theres nothing you can do but cut it and burn it for firewood. woodpeckers are after the larva its why the bark is coming of.

Best to completely cover it after cutting/stacking.....as sawmill man notes , the offenders can infect other trees .

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunter eating Black Bear, and from those marks he might be more than hungry. I'd take a much slower friend next time.

Upvote 0

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a maple, and if sawmill man is correct that it's an emerald ash borer, then you just confirmed the rumors that the EAB are starting to attack maples. That's a huge bummer!

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For the record, I didn't really want to "Like" this comment because I'd rather not see an otherwise healthy tree succumb to insect damage.
As a species, we humans have destroyed enough trees already. And even wiped some of them from the face of the Earth.

But you got to give credit where it's due and it sure looks like Sawmill Man nailed it. Unfortunately...

Upvote 0

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record, I didn't really want to "Like" this comment because I'd rather not see an otherwise healthy tree succumb to insect damage.
As a species, we humans have destroyed enough trees already. And even wiped some of them from the face of the Earth.

But you got to give credit where it's due and it sure looks like Sawmill Man nailed it. Unfortunately...

Nature always finds a way guys.. we had a lone Ash tree in our front yard get chewed up by those beetles. It slowly died and, much to our surprise, new shoots have sprouted up from the roots - so new trees should are on the way! Enjoy the firewood and/or lumber that these trees provide. :)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that bark looks like an ash not maple? though who knows

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread