✅ SOLVED Danish Beach "nugget"

quickdraw74

Jan 2, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would try out my new AT Pro today, so I went down to a popular beach area here in Aarhus, Denmark (I am an American who lives and works here). I searched for just over an hour and called it a day because I wasn't having any luck. The Danes seem to be remarkable for the quantity of metal they lose at the beach, which seems to be exclusively trash-related. I didn't find a single coin or other keepsake, though it was hard distinguishing good signals from all the crackle I was getting.

I did find one item which mystifies me. It gave a clear signal, at 81-82, which happens to be the same range that bottle caps were offering, but they had more crackle on audio. I decided to dig this since no matter which angle I came at it from, it offered a clear signal and held to the 81-82 range.

The object looks a lot like a well-worn, placer gold nugget or a chewed-up gob of gum. It has a sort of smoothed appearance with randomly distributed pits and cavities. None of its marks or features suggest it has been worked in any way. It measures 3.2cm in length and 1.6cm in width. It is a dull grey color, much like lead, but quite light for its size, I am guessing it to be magnesium or aluminum. It shows no signs of oxidation, in spite of being found just above the water line in beach sand.

Any ideas what this is and why it would be found on a beach? One additional clue: the beach lies within 15 meters of a railroad. I've read that steel slag is common for railroads, but this is so light it's hard to believe it to be a byproduct of steel smelting. Moreover, its lack of oxidation doesn't seem quite right for slag.

[ Meteorite-Times.com - Bob's Findings - July 2007 Article - Slag Meteor-wrongs - Sulfide slag source found - it's FERRO-MANGANESE ]

[ Slag Applications ].

Attachments

• slag 1.jpg
    slag 1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • slag 2.jpg
    slag 2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 228
  • slag 3.jpg
    slag 3.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 470

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminium Can, or part of, rolled smooth by the sea action. Welcome to TreasureNet. :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are there any letters on it? like S I ? keep and test for silver or better. drop on a table for sound, but should be heavy if precious metal. I have many of these and they ring when dropped like silver coins pre 1965.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
remember world war 2? this could possibly be from a plane that was shot down and was on fire going down.
would be interesting to know for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

quickdraw74

Jan 2, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminium Can, or part of, rolled smooth by the sea action. Welcome to TreasureNet. :thumbsup:

SS

Yeah, I might think the same but it has no edges or folds of any kind...and it is too thick to be a part of a can. Moreover, there isn't a lot of wave action here.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I might think the same but it has no edges or folds of any kind...and it is too thick to be a part of a can. Moreover, there isn't a lot of wave action here.
I see it all the time at the beach, no edges or folds, sometimes perfectly round Aluminium....but that's likely what it is, doe'nt have to be wave action all the time, the pieces could have been there years....but you decide for yourself, you did say in your post the the area was full of trash, and the item is very light. Plus barbecues at the beach and the cans melting which does'nt take much...you get the picture.

SS

Attachments

• imagesCADDHZ1S.jpg
    imagesCADDHZ1S.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,314
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

quickdraw74

Jan 2, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, cool. If you find similar items then I'm sure you're right.

I see it all the time at the beach, no edges or folds, sometimes perfectly round Aluminium....but that's likely what it is, doe'nt have to be wave action all the time, the pieces could have been there years....but you decide for yourself, you did say in your post the the area was full of trash, and the item is very light. Plus barbecues at the beach and the cans melting which does'nt take much...you get the picture.

SS

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
From your description and its appearance, likely a melted aluminum blob
Don't discount all the 'lumps' you find, recommend that you purchase a precious metal test kit,
A rubstone and 6 test solutions sell for about $15.
saltwater silver can look just like copper,
and melted gold from dirt can be unrecognizable (examples below, a silver ring and 12G lump of 14K)
welcome and HH to you:hello:

NH FINDS 11-10 005.jpg NH FINDS 10-10 029.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread