What's new

Dateless Buffalo no longer

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Been pluggin away at roll after roll throughout the week as work has been slow (which is good, I think). First, I did a bunch of cents. Roughly 2 boxes worth. Got some keepers, including 3 1943 Steel cents, a 1913 Wheat, a NYC Transit token, 1933 Canadian cent, a coin from India and a 1962 Suriname 1 cent coin. Also got the off centered memorial cent pictured.

Picture028.jpg


Picture027.jpg


Picture030.jpg


Picture033-1.jpg


Next up was a 2 boxes of nickels. First box had your average spread of older nickels, along with a 1954 Belgium 1 Franc, a dateless Buffalo, 1943P and two 1944P silver war nickels. For those who don't agree with chemically restoring the dates on these nickels, turn your heads now! Pictured are the before and after. It is a 1920 nickel.

Picture038.jpg


Picture039.jpg


And the Belgium Franc:

Picture043.jpg


Lastly I did 20 rolls of dimes and scored a 1964 Canadian dime, 1953D and 1958D Silver Roosies:

Picture042.jpg



Best of luck to everyone!
 
Upvote 0
mountainman 2 said:
Nice finds there. I didn't think it was possible to raise a date on that buffalo nickel.

I use Nic-A-Date. If you don't mind that there is a little discoloration on the spot you use it then it works wonders. I would so much rather have a Buffalo with a date even if there is a little spot on it than never know the age of it. All you need is one drip for the date and it works nearly every time. That is to say it has worked every time for me out of about 20 dateless buffaloes I have gathered in the last few years. One turned out to be a 1915D that I had...but I would have never known if I hadn't used the stuff on it.
 
DrDetector said:
mountainman 2 said:
Nice finds there. I didn't think it was possible to raise a date on that buffalo nickel.

I use Nic-A-Date. If you don't mind that there is a little discoloration on the spot you use it then it works wonders. I would so much rather have a Buffalo with a date even if there is a little spot on it than never know the age of it. All you need is one drip for the date and it works nearly every time. That is to say it has worked every time for me out of about 20 dateless buffaloes I have gathered in the last few years. One turned out to be a 1915D that I had...but I would have never known if I hadn't used the stuff on it.

I didn't know you could do that either. That is neat!! Does that stuff work on all coins?

That off-center cent is cool looking too! Nice variety DD.
 
the nic a date only works on nickels and cents. it dosn't work on silver. it is most popular with dateless buffalo nickels though.
 
Nice finds and sweet tip on the nic-a-date.
 
Really cool finds! The steel cents are pretty rare these days. An off-centered Lincoln, a silver rosie, a rupee, a buffie, etc, etc....wow! That's some real variety, which, they say, is the spice of life. In my opinion, restoring the date is totally fine.
 
The 3 steel cents, the Suriname 1 cent coin, the 1967 France 10 Centimes, the NYC transit token, the 1933 Canadian cent, the 2005 India 1 Rupee and the off-center cent were all found in hand-rolled penny rolls. The nickels and 1954 Belgium 1 Franc were all found from machine-wrapped nickel rolls. Also the 20 rolls of dimes were all machine-rolled. Tomorrow I have two boxes of halves coming and I may do another box of nickels as well. I seem to have fairly steady luck/variety from everything except quarters.
 
I see no problem with using Nic-a-date on dateless bufaloes as without a date they are worth what....$0.05.

I personally have a bunch of dateless buffaloes, but I have yet to buy nic-a-date to see what I have.

Note: Nic-A-Date coins count toward the tracking list.
 
Cool! I did not know you could restore a date like that! I think I have a dateless Buffalo also.
Hmmm.

Nice error wheat! That sucker be worth some bux!
;D
 
looks good man, thanks for the pictures. i might have to try this nic-a-date stuff. seems to work really good. whats a good place to get it?
 
low xtreme said:
looks good man, thanks for the pictures. i might have to try this nic-a-date stuff. seems to work really good. whats a good place to get it?

I got mine from Ebay actually, but my local coin dealer sells it as well. He seemed offended that anybody would bother with it, so I decided not to buy from him...don't ask me what his problem was...


I think after shipping the total was less than 8 or 9 bucks and the bottle is gonna last me forever. Definitely worth it just to fulfill my curiosity, not to mention I added a few more dates/mints to my circulation Buffalo collection.
 
I did a search for nic-a-date after reading this thread yesterday. Seems a lot of coin collectors are the "anything less than MS-65 is totally worthless" types that really hate stuff like nic-a-date. A poster in some forum suggested that wiping a fingerprint off a coin with your shirt was enough "cleaning" to ruin it.
 
I say enjoy your coins any way you want---whether that means never touching them and leaving them in a safe forever, or cleaning and playing with them. :)
 
Wes_ said:
I did a search for nic-a-date after reading this thread yesterday. Seems a lot of coin collectors are the "anything less than MS-65 is totally worthless" types that really hate stuff like nic-a-date. A poster in some forum suggested that wiping a fingerprint off a coin with your shirt was enough "cleaning" to ruin it.

yeah but a dateless buffalo isn't worth much over face, if anything over face value. kinda makes sense to use a product like this to get the date. can't exactly reduce the value of something that has no value to begin with.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom