DATING A BROACH

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Invenio Pro, Whites V3i, Nokta Simplex, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DATING A BROOCH

I'm trying to identify this brooch and the stone in it. Just a date range and the stone type.

I found it on an 1800s farm site. VDI was 52, I think its brass.

The stone may be lapis.

Its 1.5 inches long by 1" wide with a small hook in the back.

IMG_20170730_154806.jpg IMG_20170730_154749.jpg IMG_20170730_134717.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mburnsgps. Not knowing anything much about your piece...except I'd be real happy to find it...gonna guess 1880's...it would great to see it cleaned up more.

Congrats, thanks for the post.and Good Luck out there. C9

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Invenio Pro, Whites V3i, Nokta Simplex, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DATING A BROOCH

Hello mburnsgps. Not knowing anything much about your piece...except I'd be real happy to find it...gonna guess 1880's...it would great to see it cleaned up more.

Congrats, thanks for the post.and Good Luck out there. C9

Thanks for your interest and the kind words. I wish you the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your awesome and old find! :icon_thumright: Offhand it looks like the stone may be blue azurite. If you post more pics after it's cleaned up, the stone should be easier to identify.

Upvote 0

seadoodiver

Apr 23, 2010
Fort Myers Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great find. I am envious. Enjoy it and keep hunting. I have no idea the age but it looks late 1800 or early 1900. Take it to a jeweler they may be able to help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I am envious. Enjoy it and keep hunting. I have no idea the age but it looks late 1800 or early 1900. Take it to a jeweler they may be able to help

Thanks to the last two replies. Much appreciated. Mike

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A photo of the brooch's back, showing the "small hook," may help us to ACCURATELY tell you its approximate age. Various brooch "attachment forms" can be time-dated. But we can't say for sure (or not) until we see what's on the back of your brooch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A photo of the brooch's back, showing the "small hook," may help us to ACCURATELY tell you its approximate age. Various brooch "attachment forms" can be time-dated. But we can't say for sure (or not) until we see what's on the back of your brooch.

Thanks. I will try and get that photo done tonight when I get home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I will try and get that photo done tonight when I get home.

Here are pics of the catch. It has a hole in it for the pin. It appears to be a "C" catch with solid sides.

IMG_20170731_181852.jpg IMG_20170731_182003.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is the "catch" not the pin mechanism?

I believe so. I thought the same thing until I saw the hole in the catch. To be honest, it could be either at this point. Here is a photo of the opposite end.

IMG_20170731_195156.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe so. I thought the same thing until I saw the hole in the catch. To be honest, it could be either at this point. Here is a photo of the opposite end.

View attachment 1478328

You are right. I did a little more cleaning and the end that has a raised piece and the hold in the end also has two small holes, one on each side of the wingwalls.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mburnsgps, since you can view the object in real-life, please see if you can match up the attachment form with anything in the diagram posted below.

Giving credit where credit is due... that very helpful diagram was originally posted here in the What-Is-It? forum several years ago by our fellow TreasureNet ID-helper Breezie. :)

Attachments

• pinclasp_catches-hinges_TN_scanbyBreezie.gif
    pinclasp_catches-hinges_TN_scanbyBreezie.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a riveted hinge with either a c catch or a lever catch and probably dates to the turn of the century to around 1920. Still hard to decipher in a photo though.

Riveted hinge circa 1900...

hing2.jpg

Lever catch circa 1900...

findpb1.jpg

And a C catch circa late 1800's....

cclasp1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msburnsgps, since you can view the object in real-life, please see if you can match up the attachment form with anything in the diagram posted below.

Giving credit where credit is due... that very helpful diagram was originally posted here in the What-Is-It? forum several years ago by our fellow TreasureNet ID-helper Breezie. :)

Thanks CannonballGuy. The hinge looks close to the hinge and pin under the 1920s label. However the C clasp base doesn't look like the base that remains on my brooch. I should add that this brooch was found about 10' from a 1924 standing liberty quarter.
IMG_20170731_195156.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a riveted hinge with either a c catch or a lever catch and probably dates to the turn of the century to around 1920. Still hard to decipher in a photo though.

Riveted hinge circa 1900...

hing2.jpg

Lever catch circa 1900...

findpb1.jpg

And a C catch circa late 1800's....

cclasp1.jpg

Thanks Diggummup. I appreciate the info. This helps. Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread