Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not what it sounds like from the title of this post ;D

I was wondering if there's anyone who can give me a general guideline on how old a tree is based on it's diameter and height.

I know that some trees grow faster than others, but I have a hard time distinguishing what's an old patch of growth and what is fairly new. For instance, If an oak is 2 feet in diameter, about how long would it have taken to grow? What about a pine?

Thanks,

A.M.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Dating trees accurately can only be done through counting growth rings, this could be done by taking a bore sample. However short of this tree species even within a group can vary too widely for any accurate assessment. That said an average figure for each species like oak, maple etc... could be found through you local agricultural extension office. Last but not least figure 1 ft per year height or 1 inch per year girth.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I asked the same question here a couple years ago. A member posted a very cool link on how to closely date trees with out cutting them. I'll try and find it for you.

kenb

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link-I think I've got to pull out my old math books now!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rate of a tree's growth depends on many things, but the two most important are species and location. Sitka spruce in Alaska may be 20 years old and only 4 to 6 inches in diameter; but the same tree growing in Washington state or Oregon could be 10 inches in diameter.
A MDer should check to see what growth region they live in (here in Mississippi our regions are 7 & 8 ). Then, identify the species of trees and shrubs growing in their search areas. After IDing the plants, check with their state agricultural agency to find out the AVERAGE growth rate for each of these. Now, you'll have some basic info to help you estimate the age of the trees on your site.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
The only problem with the link above is that it is region specific, it's written by a forester in Ga. My answer above is meant to be more general, to cover many different species in many different parts of the world. IE; Sitka Spruce in Alaska which only grow .2 inches per year versus Siberian Elms which can grow 3 feet a year in N.C.
Like Shortstack said many things can affect said growth like temperature, drought, sunlight etc...Not to mention that once a tree has reached its' maximum height for its' species in its' region under whatever conditions, it stops growing in height only but continues to grow in its' girdle or diameter.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Post title got me interested in asking which trees were more fun to date. But I see the real question has been answered well by others without making snide remarks. Darn, no fun here........... :D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
This is not age specific, but a good sign the tree has been around a long time is to look at tree etching, if and when it is there. Besides the obvious dates, if you see the etching on the trunk well out of reach at about 8-10 feet +, you know it's been growing there for a while.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sandman said:
The Post title got me interested in asking which trees were more fun to date. But I see the real question has been answered well by others without making snide remarks. Darn, no fun here........... :D

One word Sandman...SPLINTERS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread