Davis Lumber Company Weston West Virginia

merv

Mar 17, 2013
ForumRunner_20140820_044539.png

The company only ordered 500 50 cent's tokens in 1927 and no other records showing that they ordered any more so the way I see it is I have one of the 500

Merv--

Don't confuse rarity with value. Especially in tokens, the "mintage" numbers don't necessarily correspond to $$$. A U.S. coin of 500 mintage would be worth a pretty penny, the laws of supply and demand being what they are.

Schenkman's WV Merchant Tokens book shows denominations 1, 5. 25, 50 & 100 of this one, and as you indicate, records from the Ingle Company show that 500 of this denomination were struck. He gives these a "B" valuation - $10 to $25. That is for an undamaged example. The town of Weston occupies three plus pages in the book, so the "one per town" collectors have a variety from which to choose.

Trantow's Catalog of Lumber Company Store Tokens shows these same denominations, and he gives a rarity 3 for the 50 denomination. That translates to 150-199 known and a value (at the time the book was published in 1978) of $2.50.

There is a nice 1 (cent) piece on eBay right now, but it didn't sell earlier at about $20, however another seller did sell one for $26 in July.

Bottom line is that in my opinion, yours would be worth $5-15.

John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back