What's new

Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!UPDATED

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
48,596
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have 1 day of the button field to do but with Cru'dad away I decided to continue with the horse paddock field which is a closer cycle.

Day 1 I said that it had been ploughed & today I think it was last ploughed in the Victorian era.

I started with several bits of old large lead. In my opinion the more lead the better the field :wink:

1 hour into the hunt I got a solid signal which I guessed was more lead. As I flipped the 3inches of turf over I saw pinned to the base of the turf a wonderful site. Its a;

COMPLETE - 12th-14th century Lead vessel called an Ampulla. In medieval times very few common folk travelled as they were the property of the Lord & had work to do. However they were allow 1 Pilgrimage in their life. Most people travelled to Shrines in places like Walsingham. They would buy their holy water in the Ampulla & wear it on a rope around their neck for the journey home (mine still have the two lead lugs for the rope, although they are bent). Several things happened to the water;
Blessed the sick
Pinned above a doorway in the house to ward off evil spirits
Sprinkled over the land for good crop & then buried in the soil.

I believe that the field which has signs of being a medieval ridge & furrow type was blessed by this object & then buried. In the Victorian types the field was ploughed flat & this has laid in the upper layers until today.......WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO This is what its about for me :o

Only spent 1.5 hours as it was so hot & I ran out of water, plus did I need to try & struggle on for a better find?

At least I may stand a chance of a hammered but if not this was worth doing the whole field for..

I may never had done this field unless I was this desperate, so if it gets tough, get tougher........

It has a Crowned letter 'I' in a shield, not sure which shrine it is from?

In a normal ploughed field this would be busted up. I have only found 1 other complete ampulla & that too came from a horse paddock.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

UPDATED;

Just looked in one of my specialist books & have found a very similar ampulla with a crowned I recorded;

Found at a moated site at Arnold nearly Beverley Yorks.

There is some debate as to which shrine it might be, thought to be one of the following:
Lady of Ipswich (based on the letter being a place)
Based on the letter being a Saint (I often refers to a 'J');
St Ives cult at Ramsey Abbey
St John of Beverley
St John
St James - Reading Abbey

Interestingly I found it about 15 miles away from one of these sites. Which could build evidence to link it to the site. I think this is worth recording to help shape our historical knowledge of these rare items.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 743
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field.... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are the Roman coins? :tongue3: :D

Nice lead relic!!! :thumbsup: It is COOL! :thumbsup:

Kirk :thumbsup:
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field.... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colonial KirkPA said:
Where are the Roman coins? :tongue3: :D

Nice lead relic!!! :thumbsup: It is COOL! :thumbsup:

Kirk :thumbsup:

As you have guessed in the past Roman coins are common, I would rather find this than 1000 bronze coins 8)

A nice relic which has a nice value. Pilgrim stuff is worth a mint (not that I would sell it, but its nice to know)
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG Crusader, that is one hell of a mighty excellent find.. and I loved the history on it.. I cant wait to see that cleaned it.. Will you be able to keep that? or is it gonna end up in a museum? either way, its a fantastic find, someday, I will make it to England and I will have a ball.. at this point a one way ticket is right up my alley.. You are so very very lucky and the finds you have made past and present are just mind blowing to me.. :thumbsup:

totally cool
Booty
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bootybay said:
OMG Crusader, that is one hell of a mighty excellent find.. and I loved the history on it.. I cant wait to see that cleaned it.. Will you be able to keep that? or is it gonna end up in a museum? either way, its a fantastic find, someday, I will make it to England and I will have a ball.. at this point a one way ticket is right up my alley.. You are so very very lucky and the finds you have made past and present are just mind blowing to me.. :thumbsup:

totally cool
Booty

Not having any gold or silver content means this is all mine. I will log it & do further research & I may display it locally.
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice Relic...It seems that a excellent Hunter always has a spot to hunt...As usual you produce. HH
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very nice find! Good job! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice find Crusader always nice to find an ampula, wonder which shrine. It could be from one of hundreds !.

HH Robfinds
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok when Crusader posts and "BEST FIND OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is in the header I yell at my internet connection to go faster so I can see what he found !!!!

Mr Crusader that is SPECTACULAR !!!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: :headbang: :icon_thumright:

I've seen the item you found in movies and such.
Can you trace its origin and history thru the symbols ? From the pix it looks like its been flattened ?

I'm happy for ya :wav:

CARRY EXTRA WATER !! ( for hot weather hunting I usually freeze a gallon of water )

Awesome Medieval Find !!! :blob9:

Derek
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a great find. Since it is so unique I think it qualifies for the BANNER!

KG6YLL
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you say Crusader nice to find a whole one :o found loads of broken ones on the ploughed fields.
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. This is an EXCEPTIONAL find! I suppose the water was self-contained in the lead and then they broke it if they needed to get the water out of it?


This one gets a Standing Ovation, Crusader!



-Buckleboy
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

absolutly great find... welldone.
just goes to show any field, space, yard is worth a hunt.
Dave.
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gratz i like it
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek752 said:
Ok when Crusader posts and "BEST FIND OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is in the header I yell at my internet connection to go faster so I can see what he found !!!!

Mr Crusader that is SPECTACULAR !!!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: :headbang: :icon_thumright:

I've seen the item you found in movies and such.
Can you trace its origin and history thru the symbols ? From the pix it looks like its been flattened ?

I'm happy for ya :wav:

CARRY EXTRA WATER !! ( for hot weather hunting I usually freeze a gallon of water )

Awesome Medieval Find !!! :blob9:

Derek

I will research the symbol & it should be possible to ID it. Thats if the right expert has recorded any like this?
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek752 said:
Ok when Crusader posts and "BEST FIND OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is in the header I yell at my internet connection to go faster so I can see what he found !!!!

Mr Crusader that is SPECTACULAR !!!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :occasion14: :wav: :occasion14: :headbang: :icon_thumright:

I've seen the item you found in movies and such.
Can you trace its origin and history thru the symbols ? From the pix it looks like its been flattened ?

I'm happy for ya :wav:

CARRY EXTRA WATER !! ( for hot weather hunting I usually freeze a gallon of water )

Awesome Medieval Find !!! :blob9:

Derek

Just found it in a book, have a look at the top.l
 
Re: Day 2 - Horse Paddock Field... BEST FIND THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davesx said:
absolutly great find... welldone.
just goes to show any field, space, yard is worth a hunt.
Dave.

Exactly right & my motto has always been; 'try anywhere once'

Although I nearly didn't listern to myself... :D
 
Phenomenal find and history lesson, Crusader. :thumbsup:

I really appreciate you educating us about these things. It shows us there's more to life than finding American coinage. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom