Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of August 2020, Dead Horse Bay in NYC, the location of one of the largest publicly accessible land fills in NYC, will be closed indefinitely due to radiation.

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/news/dead-horse-bay-closed.htm

Many people in NYC used to go to Dead Horse Bay to find treasure washed out of the landfill. It is an excellent source of bottles and small household trinkets dating anywhere from the 1890's to 1953. The pirate Captain Charles Gibbs also buried looted Spanish silver there in 1830, much of it never recovered.

I have been measuring the radiation levels at this landfill for the past several years and found places more than 50 times normal background radiation from sources including Uranium, Uranium Oxide, Radium, and many other unidentified sources. Unfortunately the NYS Parks Department never issued any warnings about this to anyone and people have likely been exposed to radiation more than they would otherwise have been as a result.

Unfortunately this may spell the end to amateur treasure hunting in the area as the radiation permeates the entirety of the site to varying degrees of intensity.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to hear . It will make a few people sad. When one door closes another opens. Time to find a new location. This reminds me of the amazing book I read when I lost my corporate America salary job in 2005.

DD6593DA-4DB6-4662-A025-F308C391B738.jpeg
4EEDC1A7-6A2D-4812-85E3-736339BDBDE9.jpeg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is there to "like", considering the story here...!
A hiding place for radioactive waste of all kinds...you see,
if it isn't seen, it doesn't exist..., right?!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone who grew up in that general area. It makes some sense since it is close to the site of the old Floyd Bennett naval air station which was right across the road

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions