What's new

Dedecting in turkey

Thanks,

I take the risk. I heard something that detecting is forbidden in the ancient places but tourist beaches are ok?!

Maybe I post some pics after the vacation...
 
Found this while searching around , Foreign Office advice to travelers to Turkey

"The use of metal detectors is against the law".
After contemplating a few scene's from the movie midnight express I have come to the conclusion that I would not metal detect there for any type of reward or payment,I wouldn't even pick up a seashell while there. Good Luck if you go


TURKEY

The 1973 Antiquities Act carries very extensive lists of movable and immovable objects protected including places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilisations (Article 1). All objects are the property of the State (Article 3 ) and reporting is obligatory (Article 4) but a reward system exists (Article 47).

There is a specific provision against treasure hunting, illicit excavation and dealing in antiquities (Article 51 - 52). Unauthorised treasure hunting carries a penalty of 2 - 5 years imprisonment and fines of =A35,000 to =A310,000 (Article 47).
 
Allan, your text citation is found in this link:

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

However, your statement "Foreign Office advice to travelers to Turkey "The use of metal detectors is against the law"." is not a part of that citation. Where did you get this statement? (I'm just curious).

As far as the text citation below that, there is the possibility that this only applies to govt. land, but does not apply to private land. Ie.: the same scary things could be found if looking at various USA things too (ARPA, state park laws, etc... that some people have mistakingly assumed applies down to county level, city level, and private land).

But if it is true that in Turkey it applies even down to private land level, then for sure, it specifically only applies to "ancient" items, and "treasures". That is clear from the text. Thus if you're only finding modern items (which are certainly not "treasures", right?), then there is no violation.

This may be why it has been reported that no one cares about beaches there, because it's naturally assumed it's modern recreational beach-goer losses your after. But ..... heck, it's possible to find an old coin on the beach too, isn't it? (after beach erosion following storms, for instance, which can scour down to older sand). My hunch though is, that if you found a 100 or 200 yr. old Turkish coin on the beach, you'd be laughed at to call it "ancient" or a "treasure". Heck, look at British hunters: they bristle when they find a coin from the 1800s as being "new" or "modern", and throw them in their junk drawer :P USA hunters on the other hand get giddy with excitement to find an IH, or V-nickel or merc. dime, because relatively speaking "100 yrs. old" 'is very old for the USA. Over in England, those coins are a "dime a dozen", and to them "old" means 1500's or earlier I guess. So perhaps this is why the beaches in Turkey appear to be hunted, as it's just "realistically" not going to apply there.
 
I am not a expert on Turkish laws, i don't really care what they allow , I am not going there....ever lol . I guess the best thing to do would be to call or write or email the Turkish embassy. here are a few sites I peeked at and I have no clue if what is there is fact or not , Nothing in Turkey I want to argue or banter about.

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index.php/living/more/living-in-turkey-things-expats-need-to-know


http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html#TURKEY



http://www.turkishclass.com/forumTitle_36806
 
Allan, the 1st link you give has nothing about detecting in it. The 2nd one is the one we're discussing (which as you can see, deals only with antiquities, but doesn't forbid new stuff).

Thanx for finding the 3rd link! I've read through it. It alludes to: "Foreign Office" as an entity who made the quote about metal detectors being "against the law".

I wonder who this entity is that's being called the "foreign office" of Turkey. Ie.: did someone write to an emabassy? A travel consolate there? etc... To merely say "it's against the law", still simply begs the question: "where is that law? Can someone go to it, and read the actual prohibition, how it's defined, and spelled out?" If you or they merely answer that by pointing to your 2nd link, then again, this doesn't seem to outlaw the actual act of metal detecting.

There was a true story back in the early 1980s, that Fisher Co. ....... in an attempt to answer a reader question in their periodical, wrote to some authority figure in Mexico (a border consolate? a lawyer? the embassy? who knows.....) and asked: "is detecting legal in mexico?" The answer came back "no". So Fisher published this answer to the reader in their periodical. The very next issue had many other readers who took issue with this answer. Saying things like "since when? and "who told you this?" and "detectors are a common site there" and so forth. Fisher, in defense of their answer, told the readers that when the earlier inquiry had come, they merely asked! Doh. And who better to ask, than Mexico themselves? Doh :) But you see, answers like they got are probably just couched in terms of federal antiquites, raiding the pyramaids, exporting gold bars, blah blah blah. What is odd, is that Fisher even has dealers in Mexico, doh! :icon_scratch:

So you see, you can always find a "no", if you ask enough people, depending on how the the different hearers interpret your question.
 
This is from the first link Metal detectors. The Turkish are very protective of their antiquities. Exporting them can result in a serious prison sentence. Even using a metal detector is considered a crime. and the entity may be the state dept. which issues travel warnings. and like I said I don't care.
 
Huh? the "first link" merely says "it's a crime", but doesn't cite any laws. You've got me confused. And this also still doesn't address how people detect on beaches there, if it's so "illegal"? But as you said, "you don't care", so .......... oh well.
 
Hello,

Holiday is over and back in Finland...

I was 3 times in water and 1 times in the sealine/shallow water.

Not much finds. Water was quite empty (firts time in the ocean) or the stuff were deep in sand.

In the sea line or shallow water I find one silver ring and two ear rings. and some coins too..

Hunting was ok, no problems at all..

One local said that in the winter time the beach is full of detectorists. So it wasn´t so dangerous :)
 
"One local said that in the winter time the beach is full of detectorists"

Well gee, I wonder how this can be, if detecting is so illegal in Turkey? :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom