What's new

Defining treasure....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......sometimes it glistens at the end of your fly line in hues of bright color, a tiny handcrafted fly luring it into striking. Sometimes I leave the detector in camp in pursuit of a different kind of treasure. A treasure within a treasure. I've always been a great fan of clear streams, the flow of the water making it feel like they're breathing. There lies mystery in every ripple, around every turn, and in every deep hole. Not all that glitters is gold.
river-1.webp
 
Treasure isn't always the end result, but the pursuit......Gary
 
Nice! You are into one of my happy pursuits. Fourteen foot Tenkara fly rod that telescopes to 22" in a thin tube and my detector. Check out the old waterways and do a bit of fly fishing while I'm there.

Still a few native brookies to be found that are living jewels.
 
thats not treasure....its friggin cool and I am on board.....but treasure is treasure.I know a hug from my daughter feels like treasure....but this is a treasure hunting forum and a fish dont cut it
 
The most precious thing in the world is time. No amount of gold or silver will buy you more. So treasure the quality time - for that is real treasure

I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. -- Robert Traver
 
I too had many "honey holes" but gave it up and started metal detecting. Since I now have a CTX 3030, I can go back and find many of the 10-20 dollar lures I lost. Man that hobby was expensive, and some here say metal detectors are expensive, sheesh, my Orvis fly rod alone cost more than most detectors. It was something though, sun peeking over the mountain tops, foggy mist over the water, flies skimming across its surface. Thanks for the memories. Stay warm, Mike
 
Treasure is like beauty...in the eye of the beholder. If your head is always in a hole, you'll miss the beauty of Mother Nature around you. It means something different to all of us, but what we see is important to us!....Gary
 
I too had many "honey holes" but gave it up and started metal detecting. Since I now have a CTX 3030, I can go back and find many of the 10-20 dollar lures I lost. Man that hobby was expensive, and some here say metal detectors are expensive, sheesh, my Orvis fly rod alone cost more than most detectors. It was something though, sun peeking over the mountain tops, foggy mist over the water, flies skimming across its surface. Thanks for the memories. Stay warm, Mike

I've stood in mayfly hatches that were so heavy it made it hard to breath for fear of sucking one in, you'd swear it was snowing. Awesomer! :thumbsup:
 
Someone's been reading Walden. Your post is poetry.

I fly fish as well. Funny how many things all of us have in common.
 
thats not treasure....its friggin cool and I am on board.....but treasure is treasure.I know a hug from my daughter feels like treasure....but this is a treasure hunting forum and a fish dont cut it

You gently slide one of those beautiful brookies into the palm of your hand and you might change your mind about what is, and isn't, treasure. A little onion or lemon, wrapped in foil and laid on the grill, the soft tumbling of the stream as you sit by the campfire, maybe hear a bull elk bugling in the distance. Yep, it's treasure! :thumbsup:
 
I spent my first 30 yrs with a Pa. Limestoner in my backyard. Sulphers swarming on every riffle, and wild browns making the water boil.

I'm drooling! :thumbsup:
 
bigscoop,

Thanks for the memories....I remember fishing at a beaver dam when I was a kid and the speckled trout would take the bait quicker than you could change it....best tasting fish I've ever eaten.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
You gently slide one of those beautiful brookies into the palm of your hand and you might change your mind about what is, and isn't, treasure. A little onion or lemon, wrapped in foil and laid on the grill, the soft tumbling of the stream as you sit by the campfire, maybe hear a bull elk bugling in the distance. Yep, it's treasure! :thumbsup:

scoop...I dang nearly always agree with every word you type....I fished bass tourneys for six years for a living.I have seen and experienced hundreds of moments that were special...like I said...I get it.But dont tell me its treasure.Its far more important than treasure...you can measure the value of treasure...its tangeable.

Moments on the water are differant...I believe that they are discounted by comparing them to a 1963 quarter...those moments are not treasure....they are greater than simple gold or silver...they are life changing..:occasion14:..sorry that I am not eloquent as some...but a gold bar(treasure)pales to a hug from a loved one
 
Last edited:
Time spent fishing cannot be deducted from a man's life.
 
scoop...I dang nearly always agree with every word you type....I fished bass tourneys for six years for a living.I have seen and experienced hundreds of moments that were special...like I said...I get it.But dont tell me its treasure.Its far more important than treasure...you can measure the value of treasure...its tangeable.

Moments on the water are differant...I believe that they are discounted by comparing them to a 1963 quarter...those moments are not treasure....they are greater than simple gold or silver...they are life changing..:occasion14:..sorry that I am not eloquent as some...but a gold bar(treasure)pales to a hug from a loved one

You are so-so correct! You know what is so upsetting to me sometimes.....it's watching the nostalgia and the simple things in life disappear. I remember when cabins were cabins, and very special. I remember when farm fields still had dense fence rows and thick ditch lines. I miss the wooden rowboats and the 5mp speed limits on those quiet little lakes. I miss those primitive hunting seasons when the arms and bows were still primitive. I miss having to take that one-lane gravel for ten miles to reach that old lakeside resort.

Recently I've been staying with my son and granddaughter for the winter, she is three. And you know what she has taught me that I miss most in life right now? She has taught me that I miss those same hugs that I use to get from my own kids when they were small. :thumbsup:
 
my friend...you truly do get it..I applaud you !!!!....:occasion14:
 
Well i do not get into that mush, mush stuff and i do not fish … It cost me a lot less to go to the fish mkt..Than to buy fishing gear..To me treasure is good health..
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom