OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a Rare First edition, Signed by the author book.
Both the Author and Copyright holder are deceased.
This book is no longer in Print.
It Belongs to the Wasilla Public Library.
It is not in the best of conditions.
When it's gone/ ruined, its knowledge may be lost as it is a rare book.
I hope to combat this fate.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ihatethese: Wendt was a rather prolific writer about Alaska life, gold prospecting, etc.

According to WorldCat, there are twelve copies available in various Alaskan libraries, Wasilla is among them. There are also two copies available on eBay. Scarce, perhaps, but not rare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ihatethese: Wendt was a rather prolific writer about Alaska life, gold prospecting, etc.

According to WorldCat, there are twelve copies available in various Alaskan libraries, Wasilla is among them. There are also two copies available on eBay. Scarce, perhaps, but not rare.
I can assure you that they are predominantly falling apart. Prospecting books go missing quite often up here as well. I'm sure online will tell you the vast selection of gold prospecting books available, but what's on the shelf is far different. Again, it's out of print. This means it may be available for another 10+ years, but what about after that? What about future Generations? this website may shut down, but Internet Archives will have saved this thread for future generations so long as the Internet is available. It's 2024; look around, there's more youth online than in libraries. where do you think they'll look first?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Again, it's out of print. This means it may be available for another 10+ years, but what about after that? What about future Generations? this website may shut down, but Internet Archives will have saved this thread for future generations so long as the Internet is available. It's 2024; look around, there's more youth online than in libraries. where do you think they'll look first?

Guess I was a bit confused about your post, but think I understand now..you are planning to re-post the entire text of the book here?

As for condition/availability, there may be hundreds/thousands of copies in private libraries, but I can't find any info on how many copies were actually printed. I'm sure the privately held copies will come up for sale periodically.

OP
OP
I

ihatethese

Jan 15, 2024
Wasilla, Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guess I was a bit confused about your post, but think I understand now..you are planning to re-post the entire text of the book here?

As for condition/availability, there may be hundreds/thousands of copies in private libraries, but I can't find any info on how many copies were actually printed. I'm sure the privately held copies will come up for sale periodically.
yes. I've got an 8month off-season with nothing better to do. you can only run the same cons so many times before the wife wants it out of the middle of the living room.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone who owned any legal claim to this book is deceased.

FWIW, Wendt wrote many books, and most likely would have passed his copyright protection along to his heirs following his death.

It's a cool idea, but I'd hate to see you get into issues over re-printing it here.
warning1.gif

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone who owned any legal claim to this book is deceased.
You are mistaken. An author's copyright extends 70 years past their death.

Copyright is a form of property. Someone inherited Mr Wendt's property when he passed. If he didn't have any legal or named heirs the State owns the copyright. In any case it's not yours to sell or give away.

I appreciate you are trying to share. The booklet is available from several sources. If you put in a little effort you could probably locate the current copyright holder. You might then get permission to post the copyright material here or elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread