Delta Rocket explosion

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello,

I am not sure just when this happened but I just got an email on it. I haven't seen too much of the news lately, but
that might not mean anything. It's possible this might have been around a while but am posting it anyway for those
of you that have missed it, too.

Ray

This rocket carrying a 45 million dollar military satellite explodes during blast off.

This is a video showing the Delta 11 that blew up at the Cape. Seeing all the damage it does makes you realize how
bad this can be.

http://www.wimp.com/rocketexplosion/

That is an amazing video. I don't remember hearing about this event on the news. I think the voice is Stacy Keach (sp?) the actor.

Just think, all that mess for a GPS sat so we can make the correct turns going to grandmother's house.

OT

Did you notice that 1min:52 sec one of the thrusters cut off. Perhaps it clogged up and pressure built up to the explosion.

Old Town, that might be Stacy Keach.

Frankn. very observant.

Thanks guys for looking and your replies.

Ray

jan 17th 1997 * was the date -- a 17 foot crack in one of the booster rockets was "offically" the cause cause of the malfunction --pay load was a $45 million dollar air force navagational sat -- cost of blast and such 55 million dollars -- windows up to 10 miles away were broken by the blast -- cars in the parking lot had their windows and aluminum tire rims melted by the blast -- rained down all sorts of flaming debris at the cape -- mircle no one was killed or reported hurt by it.

'97
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9701/17/rocket.explosion/index.html

I didn't watch all of the next vid because it is of people dying, but this was the worst of all time...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e0d_1230842002

The Nedelin Catastrophe
The Nedelin catastrophe or Nedelin disaster was a launch pad accident that occurred on 24 October 1960, at Baikonur Cosmodrome during the development of the Soviet R-16 ICBM. As a prototype of the missile was being prepared for a test flight, it exploded on the launch pad when its second stage motors ignited prematurely, killing many military personnel, engineers, and technicians working on the pr More..oject. The official death toll was 90, but estimates are as high as 200, with 120 being the generally accepted figure. Despite the magnitude of the disaster, news of it was covered up for many years by the Soviet government and did not emerge until the 1990s. Strategic Rocket Forces Marshal Mitrofan Nedelin, the commander of the R-16 development program, was among those killed in the explosion and fire.

Thanks Ivan for all that information. I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about this at all. But I do remember that I was working a lot of overtime at that time and saw very few news broadcasts.

Hello, the beep goes on, wow, that was a terrible explosion and would have been an awful thing to witness.

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back