GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read this article before. For those leary of links:

• Beil says he has researched the three characters in the story — Lt. Castleton, Sgt. Mike O’Rourke, and a man only identified as “Conners,” who was a civilian guide. In the course of that research, he found no government documents proving that they exist.

“We know every single soldier who fought in the Civil War. That information is available to us through the United States National Archives. None of these men were ever in the Civil War. They were never soldiers,” Beil said. “They’re not in any geneaological reports, they aren’t in any Army records, they aren’t in the National Archives, they’re not in any census report.”

• He also searched a newspaper database called “Chronicling America” which archives newspapers from 1789-1963 — and came up with no records. Of this, he said simply, “Newspapers would have jumped all over this... The first time we see this legend (in print) is in 1973 in Treasure Magazine.”

• Another issue Beil takes with the story focuses on the place names within it. In 1863, Dents Run would have been known as “Two Mouth Run,” Benezette as “Winslow,” and Hicks Run as “Three Mouth Run,” according to maps from that time. Beil said a red flag is that the sites are referred to by the names they would have been identified by in the early 1900s and beyond.

• And lastly, there’s the wagon. The story goes that the gold shipment was traveling from Wheeling, W.V. up through Ridgway and St. Marys and then down through the Dents Run area, headed for Harrisburg to pay Union soldiers. (load too heavy for the wagons and roads of the time).

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 3. Very good my friend. Take care. This tale remain me of the 13 wagons load of gold coins borrow from France during the Rev. War at East Granby, Ct. Not true but many people had search for and I still believe they are out looking and finding nothing.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We DO NOT know the names of all the soldiers that enlisted in the Civil War!! Many people lied about their names and ages for various reasons, be it to fight underage, hide from authorities, or to escape slavery. I have to think they were just looking for warm bodies at that time.

Please, let’s get real here.

Let’s also remember the explanation the moderator provided when the last thread was deleted before dredging this back up. That was very telling coming from an apparently long time staunch supporter. I even took a screen shot, I was so surprised.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We DO NOT know the names of all the soldiers that enlisted in the Civil War!! Many people lied about their names and ages for various reasons, be it to fight underage, hide from authorities, or to escape slavery. I have to think they were just looking for warm bodies at that time.

True, but the most telling clue is that the story didn't emerge until 1973 in, you guessed it, a treasure hunting rag.

Also, as i recall the story goes, Pinkerton ( or the like) allegedly investigated it and allegedly found a few gold bars and allegedly part of the wagon and allegedly a dead body, yet NO mention in any of the papers of the time. Papers during that era would not have missed this gold mine of a story, especially when even the Johnson family get together in the picnic grove would make the paper.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm begging you, please not another thread about this subject. No mas! No mas!

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very interesting, thank you for sharing this here.

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not post factual articles and research concerning the lack of evidence that a dents run gold treasure ever existed?

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to go down this road again but the FBI should of just let the gent that brought them to the site watch the dig at the actual dig site, but hey lets not get caught up in logical thinking. Now we will hear nothing except - woulda, coulda, shoulda. If nothing was found show proof, someone had to be taking a video of the dig, I see people constantly recording utter nonsense and garbage all the time. Things like this set a tone for anyone who finds something potentially historically important from reporting it to authorities. Europe is lightyears ahead of the US with their treasure trove laws. Just my 0.02.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all references/witnesses are to be believed, the FBI was absolutely up to and hiding something.

If all references and witnesses are to believed, then one needs to change it to "nothing was found" as that is what the evidence uncovered to date supports. As it turns out, the holy grail of what they sought to uncover, the private communications between the FBI and the PA DCNR, were in part recently seized between the FBI lead counsel KT Newton, and PA DCNR lead counsel Audrey Miner, where they, just two days after the dig concluded, confirm and discuss that nothing was found at the dig site and they even discussed how they were all disappointed.

Private communications are considered the most reliable evidence in cases and it's how the truth is almost always uncovered in investigations as people let their guard down in private personal communications and tell the truth, often memorializing the event in near real time as it is occurring. (emails, texts etc).

Not surprisingly, these uncovered communications that were published by the paper a few months ago have NEVER even been acknowledged as existing by the FK group as they contradict their narrative. Personally, it's my opinion that the group pursuing the legend of the Dents run Gold isn't seeking the truth per se, they are seeking a confirmation of their belief that treasure was found, and as the record reflects, anything that contradicts their belief is dismissed out of hand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread