What's new

Desert and remote area safety

blackchipjim

Full Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2016
Messages
214
Reaction score
195
Golden Thread
0
Location
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning to all, I'm new to the site and sure this question has been asked over and over again so please excuse me for asking. I'm a basic ordinary booty hunter when I'm in areas that afford me time to use my detector for searching. I'm thinking about expanding my area to panning or possibly lode mining just for kicks. I wonder how many people have bad experiences in the desert or other locations out west or anyplace else for that matter. Being paranoid is sometimes a good thing but too much can hold you back from alot of good times. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Always stay paranoid, NEVER go into an old lode mine unarmed or alone!
Basic Desert Survival | Practical Survivor

Really ? I hunt all the time "un-armed" (never "carry"). And have hunted alone oodles of times . In "deserts and remote areas". And have never been mugged, attacked by wild animals, fell down mine shafts, etc...... For 40 yrs. now mind you. In fact, I even walked down the street yesterday alone an un-armed, and nothing happened !

I guess I'm just lucky. Or is it that some people's sense of caution level and risk assessment is over-blown ? Sure, don't throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, I'll bet the odds are in my favor that a 747 won't crash on my house tomorrow :)
 
It situationally depends. I've rambled to many places far and wide alone. Looking back many times it would have been best to have carried for wildlife reasons. And then there are snakes. Use discretion the deeper into woods or desert you go. Even a GPS Alert Device is good for many really deep excursions.

Minor distance excursions are often quite different and less precaution needed.
 
Last edited:
I guess I'm looking for information about walking around the desert and just what I may encounter. I've hunted my whole life without a second thought of anything I may run across in my quest for meat or horns. I've work in some areas of cities that I wish I had the same equipment that I had when I was hunting. I would be able to handle myself with most of the things that I would encounter in quest for gold I would imagine. I guess the real question is about being messed with by people you may meet out in the desert.
 
.... I guess the real question is about being messed with by people you may meet out in the desert.

People hike in the desert all the time, and don't have issues. Heck, I'd think you're in more danger walking around parts of some USA cities (if in blighted areas across-the-tracks) than any desert, mountains, forests, etc.... Me thinks you're over-thinking this.
 
Really ? I hunt all the time "un-armed" (never "carry"). And have hunted alone oodles of times . In "deserts and remote areas". And have never been mugged, attacked by wild animals, fell down mine shafts, etc...... For 40 yrs. now mind you. In fact, I even walked down the street yesterday alone an un-armed, and nothing happened !

I guess I'm just lucky. Or is it that some people's sense of caution level and risk assessment is over-blown ? Sure, don't throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, I'll bet the odds are in my favor that a 747 won't crash on my house tomorrow :)

OK buddy. You explore a few old mines in the desert and run into wild boar, bobcat, or a mountain lion and you are not armed, I hope you can run faster than I can! :headbang:
 
Depends on what desert you are planning to prospect. My experience is northern Nevada and eastern Oregon,basically the great basin. I was detecting the Black Rock desert in Nevada, not on the playa, but to the west, and the area had a lot of very dark lava rock. My coil disturbed a very large rattle snake that was the same color of the rock and very hard to see until he moved. In my experience. rattle snakes tend to be the color of the background where they are living. The only other animals in that part of the country are antelope, mule deer, coyotes, jack rabbits, and cows, and now days the BLM has removed most of the cows. The only other danger is the vast distances to help. The last time I camped over there, it was on the Oregon/Nevada border in a very remote place. In my old age, I'm crippled up enough that a dead battery on the truck would also been a dead me, because I would not have been able to walk out. So the main thing is, use your head, and have back up plans. Many places are out of cell phone range. In one camp, the phone had to be held at arms length above the head to get a signal, other places it was zip. Packing extra water is more important than a gun, but I also carry a gun all the time, sometimes more than one. I usually have a hand gun on me, and a rifle behind the seat of the truck. I've been going to, or working on the desert for at least 50 or 60 years, and I've always been armed, and the only time I've fired any of the guns was for fun, because there is that huge open area without anyone there, and you can shoot all you want, and not bother anyone. So I pack all the time, but have never needed a gun for anything but to have fun.
 
OK buddy. You explore a few old mines in the desert and run into wild boar, bobcat, or a mountain lion and you are not armed, I hope you can run faster than I can! :headbang:


I've run into "wild boar" and "bobcat", while md'ing. And they just scamper away. Haven't run into a mountain lion yet.

Do you have any citations (links) to any md'r (or any person whatsoever, for that matter) who was attacked by a mountain lion, wild boar or bobcat ? Since this is an imminent threat, I'm sure links abound . Eh ?
 
The outdoors will kill you dead. People die every year in the outdoors. some of them in places that would appear to be perfectly safe. That said, it doesn't mean the outdoors is trying to kill you. BUT, you have to keep your wits about you. Hiking around remote country, safely, requires you make good decisions, and make NO assumptions about being safe. You have to make yourself safe. I've spent a lifetime alone in the outdoors. I've been lost....had to walk miles, in the dark, with wind and snowing, just to find my vehicle. Been stuck, alone, on high mountain passes in late fall. every time I learned a lesson. Now, I've learned never to take a single step without thinking about it. Safety is all about your mind, and the risks you're willing to take. Pay attention to your surroundings. Always look back to see what the country will look like on the way back. Pay attention to the critters that inhabit the country you're in. Learn about them, and the dangers they may present. Watch for tracks. Question what made them. Same with scat. Watch the hillsides. Are they dangerous? Watch for people....don't go right up to some stranger when out prospecting, or let them come right up to you. Watch them first, and learn what they're doing. Are landslides imminent, or snowslides. How's the footing where you're walking? is it slippery, or firm? Where will you land if you fall? What's under the boulder you're about to step over? If you don't learn to think like this, you won't be safe in remote country. If you train yourself to think like this, all the time, you'll be perfectly safe anywhere, assuming you have the supplies you need.
Jim
 
Really ? I hunt all the time "un-armed" (never "carry"). And have hunted alone oodles of times . In "deserts and remote areas". And have never been mugged, attacked by wild animals, fell down mine shafts, etc...... For 40 yrs. now mind you. In fact, I even walked down the street yesterday alone an un-armed, and nothing happened !

I guess I'm just lucky. Or is it that some people's sense of caution level and risk assessment is over-blown ? Sure, don't throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, I'll bet the odds are in my favor that a 747 won't crash on my house tomorrow :)
Ain't you special Tom. I carry all the time in town or in the boonies. Doesn't mean I'm paranoid, far from it. But I'd rather have a sidearm than have to say jeeze wish I had it! Kinda like a first aid kit! A hundred trips you don't need it but you're sure glad you packed it along when you do. He-men! you gotta love em..............
 
I've run into "wild boar" and "bobcat", while md'ing. And they just scamper away. Haven't run into a mountain lion yet.

Do you have any citations (links) to any md'r (or any person whatsoever, for that matter) who was attacked by a mountain lion, wild boar or bobcat ? Since this is an imminent threat, I'm sure links abound . Eh ?

I don't need a link. I've been in a mine between a wild boar and the mine entrance, and my ears still ring every time I think about it. I'm glad it has never happened to you. Tom, if it is so important to you to be right on this - you win. :skullflag:
 
No, not much threat from wild hogs, bobcats, or mountain lions while detecting out in the open. But I think TS was referring to running into them in a mine shaft, and their behavior would be a little more different if they felt they were cornered. Wild hogs sometimes will come after you if you encounter them in the wild, especially an old sow with a litter. Bobcats tend to wander off and just watch you. Chances are very great you will not just walk up on a mountain lion, but they are watching you.
 
It does depend on where you plan on going. I hunt artifacts in South Texas from Maverick County down to Starr County. I also have hunted just across the border in Mexico. Most of these areas are large ranches and in desolate areas. In Mexico I have been shot at, back in 1991, on the La Libertad ranch and chased by what I suspected were drug runners. This area was right across from Zapata, Texas on the Mexican side up the Salado River. I was unarmed and was able to elude the 2 men that were chasing me. They did not chase me far. I was with another fellow artifact hunter. This was the only run in I had while hunting artifacts in Mexico. At one time I had permission to hunt every ranch in Mexico from Nuevo Laredo down to Ciudad Mier. I stopped going into Mexico when the Zetas laid claim to vast majority of the ranches across the border.
On the American side, I would never even think about going out without carrying a side arm. In the 33 years I have been hunting artifacts, I have been treed, in a mesquite tree, once by a female wild hog that I walked up on. She would not leave for at least 45 minutes. I had dozens of puncture wounds from the thorns afterwords. Had several rutting bucks snort at me; I gave them a very wide berth. And walked around countless rattlesnakes. Not a single one of these incidents did I ever think about using my side arm. I have had no problems with bobcats or mountain lions.
The reason I carry is to prevent any problems with the many illegals that are crossing the border. I have walked up on many illegals, as many as 8 to 10 sometimes. I have never had a problem with them, in fact all the ones I have run in to were good people. But I believe in the old saying; "better safe than sorry".
Tom in CA here is a link to mountain lion attacks in California. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks
 
We had a guy in our group that always carried a 8' long piece of 1" pipe under his arm when we were exploring old mines. The poor guy endured years of joshing teasing and just plain being made fun of. Well, he went through the floor of a mine. You guessed it we found him hauling himself out over the pipe. Saved him from a 100' free dive. Guess those guys in N Ca running up n down the beach in their flippy flops just can't see that.
 
Gentlemen, look at the OP's added notation in #5. He is referring to human trouble-makers. He clarified in post #5.

Therefore this turns it into a "concealed weapon" 2nd amendment post. And .... sheeesk, we all know how lengthy and passionate those posts get !

I don't own or carry a gun. And have yet to be "mugged in the desert" (or forest, or beach, or school yards, or parks, etc....) Does this mean it can never happen ? Of course not. But I think the average person can walk around and detect, without imminent danger of getting shot, mugged, etc...

Oh, and I know a guy who got mugged while md'ing. Not sure if a concealed weapon would have helped him though: He was on a beach , in the middle of the night (low tides after storm erosion mandated night-time hunt). Someone bonked him from behind (he didn't even hear them coming or know they were there). When he fell to the ground, they got his wallet. By the time he got his wits about him and returned to his feet, they were way down the beach nearly gone from sight.
 
Last edited:
... Tom in CA here is a link to mountain lion attacks in California. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

Hah, I should have known not to present that question/challenge. Because, sure, there will always be fluke posts of some sort of attack. So too could I probably find death-by-bee stings where a swarm of bees attacked someone. Yet I don't think we'd all conclude that we .... therefore ... .need to walk about with this type bee-keeper suite on. Right ? :

V01220CP_NEW_WEB.jpg
 
I've run into "wild boar" and "bobcat", while md'ing. And they just scamper away. Haven't run into a mountain lion yet.

Do you have any citations (links) to any md'r (or any person whatsoever, for that matter) who was attacked by a mountain lion, wild boar or bobcat ? Since this is an imminent threat, I'm sure links abound . Eh ?
I've run into "wild boar" and "bobcat", while md'ing. Hey Tom was that at the Monterey Zoo??
 
I've run into "wild boar" and "bobcat", while md'ing. Hey Tom was that at the Monterey Zoo??

Nope. I have run into wild boar several times here in CA detecting (those durned things roam the hills all over the central coast where I live). One time, while returning from a cellar hole foundation way-back in the hills (where I'd just found an 1850's Australian coin btw), I was walking through a meadow in the dark. All of the sudden I saw the shapes run away snorting. I had unwittingly walked right into a pack of them, and they took off running when I'd gotten close. Scared me for a bit, till I realized what they were.

As for Bobcat, I've seen them from time to time too in our hills. They just take off and scamper away. They're more wiley, so you don't often see them. But boar are more frequently seen and bumped into, since they're slow lumbering creatures in comparison.
 
I still love you Tom, even when your opinion suffers. I hope you have a great New Year, and never encounter a new mother mountain lion and her cubs 30-feet inside an old gold mine, or as in my case, a really scared and angry pig - even if it is a "fluke." :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom