As a women, there are ton's of remote areas I want to poke around in, but simply haven't been able to. I see the YouTube video's of guys packing in alone for a two or three day trip and would LOVE to hike in and do that. You guys have so much less to worry about. But the idea of doing it by myself is terrifying. I'm not afraid of the animals. It's people I'm afraid of. Most of the guys I have met while sluicing in San Gabriel are amazed I'm there alone, and I'm slucing in a fairly populated area close to the parking lot. You have to admit, prospecting as a women is fairly uncommon. And pretty much all my girlfriends have ZERO interest in digging dirt and washing rocks. As much as they all love gold and gemstones.
I look back on the Europe trip I did with my best friend at the time at 18. Young and dumb, the movie Taken hadn't been released yet, it was the summer of 1999 and as a young adult I felt untouchable. We had our room busted in on in the hotel we were staying in at like 3am in the French Riviera. Thankfully two american guys were staying across the hall from us and heard the us screaming and the guys who kicked the door in ran off. Shitty lock, didn't latch securely, should have asked for another room, again, young and dumb. In todays political climate, I don't think I would do that same trip without a man with me.
I'm sure I "could" do that trip again, or pack in by myself. But I simply believe that there is an added risk that men don't have to deal with, simply because I'm a women. And that risk is random encounters with unknown men. And that risk increases exponentially the more isolated I am from other people. You can take two identical situations. A single person camping alone next to the river/trail. If it's a guy, and another hiker/prospector/homeless/mountain man finds you, chances are they are going to walk right past most of the time. Maybe give you a, "hey" as they walk by. Maybe ask how the gold has been that day. As a women in that same situation, I can almost guarentee that the guy is going to stop and want to talk. From there, it's anyones guess. I'm sure 99% of the time, the encounter is harmless, but it only takes one time.
People act a lot differently in isolation. And there are some interesting people up in the mountains.