Desert Treasure Hunters

DesertCruiser

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
[size=13pt][size=11pt]Want to travel and prospect, or treasure hunt the Desert Southwest? This should be your first stop. http://www.in-the-desert.com/
Message board is now also available. http://desertforum.in-the-desert.com/ Interesting stories, trips with GPS tracks, interactive maps, and more.
Also a few un-published (till now) treasure tales that are true. Come see for your self!
Love to hear from you on the message board.

Don / Desert Cruiser...
[/size][/size]

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desert cruiser, thanks much for the like, some really good info. there. ron

OP
OP
DesertCruiser

DesertCruiser

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Maui, glad you like the site, it was put up to help anyone traveling in the desert and prospecting or treasure seekers, but only with a few unusual tales, that I personally know are true and could be found. I'm too old now to do that.

Spooky: Before I posted this here, I e-mailed the owners of this site and they recommended that I do this right here. Over the years I've recommended this site to quite a few treasure hunters and will continue to do so. Sorry if you feel offended. I seldom have time anymore to post on this message board. My sign in and location has changed several times over the years. I made sure it was agreeable before I did post this, if that satisfies you? I do appreciate you reminding me to put a link in our message board to this site for people interested in treasure hunting. Thanks!

The people that run this site are very nice, and I appreciate that. This is more for the treasure hunter, where our site is more varied, for traveling, safety, photography, etc. I'm sure we'll get along nicely.

Thanks for the kudos, it's a continual work in progress, and we don't intend to let it stagnate. Good luck with your explorations, and visit us when you get a chance.

Don Gilmore....
http://www.in-the-desert.com

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don,

Nice site, but you should really get the facts straight about the Jesuits. While the Lost Mission Story is okay, there are so many errors about the Jesuits, kind of makes the rest look bad:

1. The Jesuits were suppressed by Spain in 1767 (not 1768)

2. By force of Ecclesiastical Precept, the Jesuits were not allowed to mine, have direct or indirect knowledge of mining in any form whatsoever. That means that there is no way they could have EVER had any mining agreements with the King of Spain.

Those are the two most glaring.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
DesertCruiser

DesertCruiser

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gollum: Although I can understand your apprehension, you apparently aren't familiar with the way things worked with the Spanish and in particular with the way they dealt with the Jesuits. Now this has been proven to me by people who were friends that actually studied old archives in Spain, and because of their diligence we have found some "information" that is not common knowledge. The Jesuits in Baja were not notified the same year as the mainland people were because of their inaccessibility. It's not really a defining judgment anyway. The priests were supposed to tame, and turn the natives into religious people with the same beliefs, but it was certainly not they're main objective. I really wanted to offer a story that I'm sure is real and could be found by someone who has the physical ability to do the searching. The story about the surgeon is true and is first hand knowledge, and although we spent a lot of time searching ourselves, it's a large area, someone someday will find it.

I did go to your web site, interesting! By the way, last year I photographed the alleged Peralta Stones in the museum in Apache Junction -- the ones on display there are not even good replicas. And it doesn't take a high resolution camera like mine to see this. It's one of the treasure tales we ignored when treasure hunting years ago, with a lot of good reasoning behind our decision. Of course everyone has their own agenda, I can only offer them good luck.

If we can help anyone, we'll sure try to do our best. Good luck out there, hope you find the big one, there is still a few there.
Don.....

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DesertCruiser said:
Gollum: Although I can understand your apprehension, you apparently aren't familiar with the way things worked with the Spanish and in particular with the way they dealt with the Jesuits. Now this has been proven to me by people who were friends that actually studied old archives in Spain, and because of their diligence we have found some "information" that is not common knowledge. The Jesuits in Baja were not notified the same year as the mainland people were because of their inaccessibility. It's not really a defining judgment anyway. The priests were supposed to tame, and turn the natives into religious people with the same beliefs, but it was certainly not they're main objective. I really wanted to offer a story that I'm sure is real and could be found by someone who has the physical ability to do the searching. The story about the surgeon is true and is first hand knowledge, and although we spent a lot of time searching ourselves, it's a large area, someone someday will find it.

I did go to your web site, interesting! By the way, last year I photographed the alleged Peralta Stones in the museum in Apache Junction -- the ones on display there are not even good replicas. And it doesn't take a high resolution camera like mine to see this. It's one of the treasure tales we ignored when treasure hunting years ago, with a lot of good reasoning behind our decision. Of course everyone has their own agenda, I can only offer them good luck.

If we can help anyone, we'll sure try to do our best. Good luck out there, hope you find the big one, there is still a few there.
Don.....

Sorry Don,

As far as the Stone Maps go, like I said, two of them were made in 1969. The other two should be original (unless the AM&M Museum switched them.

But about the Jesuits, you are absolutely wrong here. There aren't many people here that know more about Jesuits in New Spain than I do. I own almost every translation of almost every Jesuit Fathers' Diary. I have the diary of Capt Juan Mateo Manje. I have several other books that deal with the lives of the Jesuit Fathers in New Spain. The one you should REALLY read is by Father Charles Polzer SJ "Rules and Precepts of the Jesuit Missions of Northwestern New Spain". If you read it, you will see that at least by 1710 there was an Ecclesiastical Precept against Jesuit mining. That means that the only agreement the Jesuits would have had with the King of Spain was one that forbade them from mining.

Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that the Jesuits owned and operated mines. They just did it on the sly through their Coadjutors.

I promise you, I don't post any BS. If I post it, it is only because I know it to be true.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
DesertCruiser

DesertCruiser

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your reply. I also have some of the original transcripts, which a good friend got for me years ago. Some of them are very interesting. As for the Peralta Stones, like I said, I photographed them last year, and after having seen the originals, well I can only give my opinion, but I wouldn't spend any time with the ones in the museum.

On another note, we are now looking into any information we can find on Desoto's trip to lake Michigan. We've been privy to some very private and interesting info, given to me when a treasure hunter died. If anyone has any info about what Desoto might have hauled with him when he embarked on his journey, it would be helpful. There is a lot of rumors, but I'm looking for some facts on what he had with him. I do know he had 200 horses, and he crossed through Illinois near St. Louis. Interesting stuff.

Thanks again, have a great day,
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread