What's new

Detecting after work and in the dark

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
612
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
How many of you who live at the beach and who have FT jobs also detect at the water after work? Also, since my detecting time is limited due to a scarcity of parking, do many of you wait until it gets dark, then go out with one of those head lamps and detect in the sand?
 
Upvote 2
I'm retired, but, still hunt at night all the time, especially in the summer. No traffic, plenty of parking, nobody to bother you or get in the way, no sunburn or even any need for sunscreen, nice and quiet.....
 
Where and when ever it is legal! Rain, moon light, 365 days a year, Iceland, Scotland, Spain, Caribbean, Hawaii, Guam, Marshall Islands, Maine to Florida, East Coast to West, North to Alaska, Heck just get out and keep active no better way to live...As much as I have walked, I never met up with Patsy. The Kennedy family - yes. as well as other noteworthy and influential individuals. As for after work...I have been known to "call in sick" to catch a epic low tide.
May the ring of gold be in your ears and its glitter in your scoop!
 
Very
You missed another good reason. At night, it's usually low tide.

Very profound, it is low tide 2 times every 24 hours, once during the day, once during the night.........
 
I thought it was about the moon position and is completely independent of time of day, sunlight or not.
Agreed. It also depends on the phase of the moon for the best low tides. Around full moon and new moon are the best. It also depends on where you are in the world. Some places have dramatic differences between high and low tide.....mostly toward the poles. Around the equator, not as much difference. Here in SoCal we have the best low tides in the early morning hours during the winter, and the best lows in the early afternoon during the summer. On average here, the tides change about every 6 1/2 hours each day, so, the tides advance and vary accordingly.
 
I'm retired, but, still hunt at night all the time, especially in the summer. No traffic, plenty of parking, nobody to bother you or get in the way, no sunburn or even any need for sunscreen, nice and quiet.....
Seems all I find in the dry sand is tons of bottle caps, tent pegs, and foil. Still yet to find any real gold or silver. At this rate, I may give up on hunting in dry sand. 12 fruitless trips in a row will do that. When I see Youtube videos of people with headlines like "Three GOLD rings found at the beach this morning!!!" and their video shows them supposedly finding three in their scoop on the trip when I haven't found so much as a single trinket of silver, I'm naturally skeptical.
 
Last edited:
My last night trip out, I must have walked 50 miles along the shoreline. I think I only got two hits, both trash. Makes me wonder if people are scouring this beach, leaving nothing for me to find. When I found nothing along the surf's edge and packed sand, I went into the dry sand. At least I got lots of hits up there, but they were all bottle caps, pull tabs, and tent pegs. I have no idea how people go to the beach and go home with multiple rings, gold, silver, etc, seemingly every other trip out. It's been 13 beach trips for me - only trash found so far, with an occasional coin.
 
What beach are you detecting? If its the Treasure Coast, yeah, it get hit hard every day.
 
Unless you get a coil over a gold ring you want find one. With the price if gold today, less young people are buying gold wedding rings, instead they are buying carbon wedding rings.
 
man you guys got balls, getting in the ocean at night, i cant even look out there without getting scared, day time no problem, but hail no to night
 
man you guys got balls, getting in the ocean at night, i cant even look out there without getting scared, day time no problem, but hail no to night
I'm right there with ya. Here in MD, the water in the ocean and Chesapeake Bay is muddy brown. Once you wade in a foot or more deep, your feet disappear, and if I can't see my feet, I can't see any toothy critters roaming around me. Makes pinpointing and placing a sand scoop a bit more challenging as well.

Just the other night, I was watching a video of a young girl, probably about 7 or 8, on a beach that was in very shallow ocean waters, no more than a foot deep. She was lying in the water on her stomach, that's how shallow the water was. We'd think that we'd be safe in such shallow water, but nooooo.... Right behind her you could see the fin of a toothy critter swimming right past her. It looked to be several feet long so large enough to cause some real damage if it was really hungry and didn't care what it muched on.

But damn, everyone knows that sharks and other nasty ocean dwellers tend to come closer to shore during nighttime to feed. I would never go more than ankle deep but still; I'd probably wouldn't even do that. And lest we forget, the first victim in the movie Jaws was a girl who thought it would be a great idea to go out for a swim at night, under a moonlight glow. And then, she was no more, lol.

BONUS: I found the video of the young girl and also had another one of a shark at Myrtle Beach swimming by in water no more than 2 feet deep. Crazy thing is that both of these encounters were during the day, when everyone's out swimming in the waves. If I'm in the water and I see a fin passing by me, that's a definite recipe for a Code Brown. Links pasted below.

North Myrtle Beach shark startles girl swimming in ocean

Mysterious shark encounter in Myrtle Beach 5 Ft Shark in 2 ft of water
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom