What's new

Detecting in the water in less than optimal conditions

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
Does anyone keep detecting in the water even when it's storming (assuming there's no lightning)? I didn't see any lightning yesterday, but the wind was really whipping up, and the waves were growing. You could see the dark clouds on the horizon moving in, and everyone was grabbing their stuff to get off the beach. I could have stayed, but I would have been the ONLY one there after a bit. It woulda made me self-conscious, that's for sure. But it's hard to be too pessimistic. I discovered that during the work week, if I get to this highly-desirable parking area at the beach before 4:30, there's plenty of parking because so many people are still at work! And better still, the premium location where I've been going has been totally bereft of other detectorists when I get there (so far); I'm able to hunt the entire beach. So, I've been heading out to the beach every day after work. The only downside is the $7.00 I have to pay for two hours of parking time.

What about detecting in perfect water and weather conditions - after dark? Assuming there's a full moon (or near to it) and you can see around you, you'd be assured that there wouldn't be any other detectorists out there and you'd have the beach to yourself. Just wondering.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I detect at all hours. In the dark, I only go about knee deep in the ocean. I'll go a bit deeper in a salt water bay, and deeper still in fresh water as long as conditions are good enough. I don't need any light other than my headlamp. Sometimes you have the beach to yourself, but, not always. I went to one of my favorite beaches yesterday morning from 1am to 4am. There were 9 other guys detecting there!
 
I detect at all hours. In the dark, I only go about knee deep in the ocean. I'll go a bit deeper in a salt water bay, and deeper still in fresh water as long as conditions are good enough. I don't need any light other than my headlamp. Sometimes you have the beach to yourself, but, not always. I went to one of my favorite beaches yesterday morning from 1am to 4am. There were 9 other guys detecting there!
Do you use white light at night, or does California (in addition to Florida) also demand red lights with detectorists? I admit, when I use red light, it's hard to tell what I'm looking at in the scoop.
 
Does anyone keep detecting in the water even when it's storming (assuming there's no lightning)? I didn't see any lightning yesterday, but the wind was really whipping up, and the waves were growing. You could see the dark clouds on the horizon moving in, and everyone was grabbing their stuff to get off the beach. I could have stayed, but I would have been the ONLY one there after a bit. It woulda made me self-conscious, that's for sure. But it's hard to be too pessimistic. I discovered that during the work week, if I get to this highly-desirable parking area at the beach before 4:30, there's plenty of parking because so many people are still at work! And better still, the premium location where I've been going has been totally bereft of other detectorists when I get there (so far); I'm able to hunt the entire beach. So, I've been heading out to the beach every day after work. The only downside is the $7.00 I have to pay for two hours of parking time.

What about detecting in perfect water and weather conditions - after dark? Assuming there's a full moon (or near to it) and you can see around you, you'd be assured that there wouldn't be any other detectorists out there and you'd have the beach to yourself. Just wondering.
Yep, I once detected and walked into the water as a hurricane was passing by off the coast. I did a post asking everyone what's the craziest weather or situation they've been in while detecting back in May. Here's the link to that post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...on-youve-ever-been-in-while-detecting.710662/
 
I detect in all weather If i go i go no matter what the weather is.winter summer storming or not.I was out once and the waves were real bad and forced me to hunt up high were I wouldnt have done and found some really good finds. Just get the right gear for the weather and go. I can promise if you got when its snowing you will have the place to yourself.
 
Does anyone keep detecting in the water even when it's storming (assuming there's no lightning)? I didn't see any lightning yesterday, but the wind was really whipping up, and the waves were growing. You could see the dark clouds on the horizon moving in, and everyone was grabbing their stuff to get off the beach. I could have stayed, but I would have been the ONLY one there after a bit. It woulda made me self-conscious, that's for sure. But it's hard to be too pessimistic. I discovered that during the work week, if I get to this highly-desirable parking area at the beach before 4:30, there's plenty of parking because so many people are still at work! And better still, the premium location where I've been going has been totally bereft of other detectorists when I get there (so far); I'm able to hunt the entire beach. So, I've been heading out to the beach every day after work. The only downside is the $7.00 I have to pay for two hours of parking time.

What about detecting in perfect water and weather conditions - after dark? Assuming there's a full moon (or near to it) and you can see around you, you'd be assured that there wouldn't be any other detectorists out there and you'd have the beach to yourself. Just wondering.

When hunting Atlantic, the surf is usually 2 to 4 foot so hunting in waves is often standard fare. Remember lighting can strike 10 miles from storms...

Hint, when sudden rains move in, if no lighting it is great time to hunt the towel/beach blanket lines and chair line. People in hurry to get out of the weather often forget they had jewelry and other items on blankets, towels, and by their chairs and lose items in the rush.

Not sure why you are self-conscious or concerned about being the only one, it is perfect time.

I have hunted often at night, but be very aware of your surroundings, I know a couple detectorists who were mugged at might.

I carry a pistol 100% of the time when I hunt at night, and many times during the day, depending on the surf conditions.
 
I have hunted often at night, but be very aware of your surroundings, I know a couple detectorists who were mugged at might.

I carry a pistol 100% of the time when I hunt at night, and many times during the day, depending on the surf conditions.
Hey TH, how are you holstering when carrying on the beach & into shallow water? I typically wear swim trunks during the summer when hunting the beach, so really don't want to be wearing my typical carry rig.

I was thinking of wearing my Blackhawk S.T.A.C.H.E. NACHO belly band with molded holster for my P365X. If I was wearing cargo shorts or jeans in cooler weather, I'd just go with my standard Tulster OWB carry holster on my Kore belt, but when it's hot & I'm only wearing swim trunks, I think my belly band would be perfect, as I can wear it up high, low, move the band around 360 degrees to find most comfortable position, etc. Also has 4 pockets, I use one for an extra mag, 1 for a nasty Regiment Blades folding tactical knife, and 1 for a PowerTac tactical flashlight with strobe which I would highly recommend if hunting at night.
 
Hey TH, how are you holstering when carrying on the beach & into shallow water? I typically wear swim trunks during the summer when hunting the beach, so really don't want to be wearing my typical carry rig.

I was thinking of wearing my Blackhawk S.T.A.C.H.E. NACHO belly band with molded holster for my P365X. If I was wearing cargo shorts or jeans in cooler weather, I'd just go with my standard Tulster OWB carry holster on my Kore belt, but when it's hot & I'm only wearing swim trunks, I think my belly band would be perfect, as I can wear it up high, low, move the band around 360 degrees to find most comfortable position, etc. Also has 4 pockets, I use one for an extra mag, 1 for a nasty Regiment Blades folding tactical knife, and 1 for a PowerTac tactical flashlight with strobe which I would highly recomand carrying if hunting at night.

Majority of my hunting is Atlantic side and if in water over waist deep I wear a wetsuit, when carrying, I use to carry inside farmer john wetsuit high on my chest.

Now there are waterproof fanny packs, now I carry my piece on my waist inside waterproof bag. Opposite side of my finds bag.

When hunting at night I rarely go past knee deep (things that go bump in the night bite) and I carry inside my waist cross draw under my shirt.
 
Hint, when sudden rains move in, if no lighting it is great time to hunt the towel/beach blanket lines and chair line. People in hurry to get out of the weather often forget they had jewelry and other items on blankets, towels, and by their chairs and lose items in the rush.

Not sure why you are self-conscious or concerned about being the only one, it is perfect time.

I have hunted often at night, but be very aware of your surroundings, I know a couple detectorists who were mugged at might.

I carry a pistol 100% of the time when I hunt at night, and many times during the day, depending on the surf conditions.
I never thought about the people in a rush to leave, then hitting their area. I had the perfect opportunity to do that the other day. Oh well.
 
Do you use white light at night, or does California (in addition to Florida) also demand red lights with detectorists? I admit, when I use red light, it's hard to tell what I'm looking at in the scoop.
I generally detect in the dark, but, when I need a light, I use a white one.
 
Not keen about lightning storming ..especially in an aluminum boat !! Main pesky inconveniences in my area inland waters =Boaters ..Jet skiers (too close ) & waves..going out earlier or later...waves distract from searching ability ..I dont know how you guys searching in the oceans do it..Guess you adapt..
 
We also miss targets with the waves pushing us around.
 
We also miss targets with the waves pushing us around.
As I have got older I have started considering (and have walking away from) a few targets, that I felt were not safe to continue digging. And these were targets that the hole was deep and they waves were unsafe.
 
As I have got older I have started considering (and have walking away from) a few targets, that I felt were not safe to continue digging. And these were targets that the hole was deep and they waves were unsafe.
I've also figured out that if the waves are even somewhat high, I don't go into water above my waist. What's the point? Once my scoop goes in the sand after a target, I can't bob on top of the water any more, and a wave comes along and knocks the headphones off my head like it did my last time out. Thanks goodness I bought waterproof headphones recently. I'm going out today after work, and the waves are predicted to be 1.3-ft. high, which is not a tranquil sea, and if that wasn't bad enough, it'll be high tide, too. I'll have to search the shallows and probably find nothing again. Maybe I'll scan the edge of the surf. At least I'll get a little exercise and sun, which is the whole point of metal detecting.
 
Last edited:
I've also figured out that if the waves are even somewhat high, I don't go into water above my waist. What's the point? Once my scoop goes in the sand after a target, I can't bob on top of the water any more, and a wave comes along and knocks the headphones off my head like it did my last time out. Thanks goodness I bought waterproof headphones recently. I'm going out today after work, and the waves are predicted to be 1.3-ft. high, which is not a tranquil sea, and if that wasn't bad enough, it'll be high tide, too. I'll have to search the shallows and probably find nothing again. Maybe I'll scan the edge of the surf. At least I'll get a little exercise and sun, which is all detecting has done for me.
CH, are there dunes on the beach you'll be searching?

If so, try searching the flat section of beach sand at the base of the dunes. Don't dig into the dunes, but in the flat sand right at the base of the dunes. I can't ever recall seeing anyone set up their chairs & umbrellas that far back, they usually want to be closer to the water. And since people typically don't set up that far back, most guys detecting think there's probably nothing to find back there in "no-man's land". But here's a tip I picked up from Terry Shannon, he finds lots of great targets at the bases of dunes. Over time, big storms can deposit goodies into dune sand. Then, subsequent storms can strip sand from the dunes and that sand winds up on the flat section of the beach, usually right in front of the dunes, maybe a little further out.

I've also seen people throwing footballs, Frisbie's and playing other throwing/catching type games further back in the dry towards the dunes, to have clear open areas and lessen the chance they'll hit someone. That's another wide-open area that most people don't set up on, as they're usually closer to the water & lifeguard tower. So, the sand further back on the beach, closer to the dunes, are where a lot of people tend to play catching type games, and when they're throwing balls & such, sometimes they'll lose a ring, bracelet, necklace, earring, etc.
 
I've also figured out that if the waves are even somewhat high, I don't go into water above my waist. What's the point? Once my scoop goes in the sand after a target, I can't bob on top of the water any more, and a wave comes along and knocks the headphones off my head like it did my last time out. Thanks goodness I bought waterproof headphones recently. I'm going out today after work, and the waves are predicted to be 1.3-ft. high, which is not a tranquil sea, and if that wasn't bad enough, it'll be high tide, too. I'll have to search the shallows and probably find nothing again. Maybe I'll scan the edge of the surf. At least I'll get a little exercise and sun, which is the whole point of metal detecting.

1.3 foot is very nice, average surf for Daytona, New Smyrna is 3-4 foot...I have hunted in 3-4 foot surf waist to chest deep many times. I pick the high traffic areas in water to hunt, if majority are in 2 foot water then you hunt that 3 foot you hunt that....

Here is link to beach web cams, you can choose different beaches. Here is Daytona live cam.


Cocoa beach


Go to YouTube and type in live beach cam Clearwater it will bring up several
 
1.3 foot is very nice, average surf for Daytona, New Smyrna is 3-4 foot...I have hunted in 3-4 foot surf waist to chest deep many times. I pick the high traffic areas in water to hunt, if majority are in 2 foot water then you hunt that 3 foot you hunt that....

Here is link to beach web cams, you can choose different beaches. Here is Daytona live cam.


Cocoa beach


Go to YouTube and type in live beach cam Clearwater it will bring up several
1.3-ft. waves really push me around. I can't imagine 3-4-ft. waves.
 
Does anyone keep detecting in the water even when it's storming (assuming there's no lightning)? I didn't see any lightning yesterday, but the wind was really whipping up, and the waves were growing. You could see the dark clouds on the horizon moving in, and everyone was grabbing their stuff to get off the beach. I could have stayed, but I would have been the ONLY one there after a bit. It woulda made me self-conscious, that's for sure. But it's hard to be too pessimistic. I discovered that during the work week, if I get to this highly-desirable parking area at the beach before 4:30, there's plenty of parking because so many people are still at work! And better still, the premium location where I've been going has been totally bereft of other detectorists when I get there (so far); I'm able to hunt the entire beach. So, I've been heading out to the beach every day after work. The only downside is the $7.00 I have to pay for two hours of parking time.

What about detecting in perfect water and weather conditions - after dark? Assuming there's a full moon (or near to it) and you can see around you, you'd be assured that there wouldn't be any other detectorists out there and you'd have the beach to yourself. Just wondering.
If I'm finding good stuff it takes a lot to get me out of the water, even hunted with lightning hit the water about a half mile away. Probably not the safest but it's hard to keep me out.
 
If I'm finding good stuff it takes a lot to get me out of the water, even hunted with lightning hit the water about a half mile away. Probably not the safest but it's hard to keep me out.
The beaches here lately have had chronic high waves. It's a real rarity when the sea is even relatively calm. It's hard to detect when the waves are pushing me around, and if I do get a signal, it's hard to keep it with waves tossing me around like I'm in a washing machine. It really sucks. And today and tomorrow are predicted to be more high-wave days, so I may just skip them. It's been 1-2 weeks since I've been able to get in the water and detect. I searched at the water's edge all day yesterday, and although I did manage to find a fake gold ring (yeah!), the entire day was otherwise uneventful. I think the other detectorists managed to clean up the surf line earlier in the day before I got there at 4:30 pm.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom