republicfireguy

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Republic, WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've been hunting for an old mining camp for a few months. Some clever Google searches rewarded me with an old map that shows a label for the camp , but when I got its location plotted on an up to date map it appears it may be on private land. I did a parcel search through my county's tax assessor website, and found that the land the site may be on is private, but it's Trust land, with a CPA from AZ listed as the "manager" for the land. As I understand trust land, there's no specific owner, but I figured I would track down the CPA and talk to him about it. No luck after every Google search based on his name, occupation, and location I could think of. I would really like to hunt at the site, but I don't want to hunt where I shouldn't. I've seen a lot of people camping at the site as I poke around in the woods here, and I seriously doubt everybody got permission somehow. It is a small piece of private surrounded by Forest Service and BLM land. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. I live in WA, by the way, if that helps.
Edit: I don't plan on hunting it without permission, by the way, just wondering if anybody had any information on lands that are managed by a trust.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If it is not posted, I would hunt it. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to say I can only find 2 definitions on Trust land

Definition of 'Land Trust'

A legal agreement where a trustee is appointed to maintain ownership of a piece of real property for the benefit of another party: namely, the beneficiary of the trust. Land trusts are used by several different types of organizations for several reasons; nonprofit entities use them to hold conservation easements, and corporations and investment groups use them to accumulate large portions of land.

Read more: Land Trust Definition | Investopedia

In this case the person "a trustee is appointed to maintain ownership"
should be asked

Investopedia explains 'Land Trust'

Corporations and other institutional buyers sometimes use these trusts to discreetly purchase large tracts of land so as to avoid publicity. Publicity could cause the price of further land purchases to increase and potentially disrupt the firm's plans for developing or profiting from the land. Individuals usually use land trusts for privacy and to avoid probate.
Read more: Land Trust Definition | Investopedia

in this case I would say IF They are hidden & There are no signs, I'd say :dontknow:
speak-hear-see-no-evil-three-monkeys.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

republicfireguy

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Republic, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and the advice. The person the trust is named after is definitely not a local person, and the land isn't posted. I actually came across it while hiking with my kids, then found an old road that accesses it later, which is when I saw the people camping on a couple occasions while I was looking at things. I told everybody I saw I was poking around looking at old mines in the area, and nobody mentioned we were on private land, so I think another good faith effort to track down the person listed as the contact in the county tax records, and we'll see.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am only know about "State Trust" land in Arizona. You need special permits to even transit it, and it is off limits to EVERYTHING. If you get caught metal detecting on it they take your equipment, your wheels, and your freedom. Know, before you go!

OP
OP
R

republicfireguy

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Republic, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not State Trust land, I'm familiar with that in WA state. It's a family trust, I just can't track down any member of the family or the manager of the land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions