What's new

Detecting ones own birth place

perry2

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
404
Reaction score
215
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All: I am living in New Hampshire and thinking of taking a drive down to Needham Mass. and trying to get an OK to metal detect the old homesite where I was born (1937)and lived for 17 yrs. I have passed by it several times and it still looks the same /// big side yard, shrubs , etc
I would love a contact from Needham to maybe help break the ice for the OK// Anyone ever done there own old home site ?? Perry
 
reply

Hi All: I am living in New Hampshire and thinking of taking a drive down to Needham Mass. and trying to get an OK to metal detect the old homesite where I was born (1937)and lived for 17 yrs. I have passed by it several times and it still looks the same /// big side yard, shrubs , etc
I would love a contact from Needham to maybe help break the ice for the OK// Anyone ever done there own old home site ?? Perry

I got my first detector while in High School (about 8th or 9th grade) in the mid 1970s. And the first place I tried it out at, was my own yard (house blt. in 1959). Got about 50 to 70 coins, of which a few where even wheaties (whoohoo). I even remember finding a jewelry charm thing my sister had lost. So a house built by no later than 1937, ought to have a few coins there :)
 
Give it a shot and then please let us know what happened...
 
My grandfather wants to take me to his old home place. It was a log cabin with a dirt floor. He told me his brothers convinced him if he buried a nickel (it was a buffalo!) that it would grow into a money tree. I think it would be awesome to find that nickel and know exactly who had it.
 
That would probably be good as my "birthplace" was a carriage house for the Kilmer (Swamproot) family and built in 1820 and was near the Chenango Canal.
 
I detect my childhood home often, as my mother still lives there, her and pops bought the house in 1959 for 1200 dollars, and it was a good investment, as me and dad pulled that much face value in silver out of that yard, and its still producing after all these years, though looking back on it, seeing as my pops was a avid coin collector, I think being the type of man he was, he may have seeded the yard for me to find the coins, I'll never know.
But ALL the neighbors yards produced the same way, so who knows...

Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom