Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to help a buddy out (defn: a buddy is a guy who drops off cleaned ducks now and then).

As any hunter knows, there are shot to be found in duck and other birds that could take out a $1500 crown real fast. Not all of the shot holes are evident either. An old one could have healed up and not show signs of even being there.

Not only that, but shot isn't the old lead version any more; in fact it's not legal in many places, and the replacements are steel, titanium, tungsten, nickel, iron, bismuth - tin. Whew!

I thought I'd get out the old orange carrot and surely I could find a #8 lead shot. Nope.

I haven't tried all the various kinds of new shot since I largely gave up bird hunting for that reason, but has anyone got a detector that will pick up shot in a duck breast, about an inch thick?

Thanks for the input and help.

BL

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus will. We get tired of digging bird shot on the eastern shore of Maryland. Tiny stuff too. I'm sure the ORX will also.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My orange Garrett carrot willl not do this, not even touching it.

Your post surprised me. I decided to conduct an experiment. I don't have any bird shot so I cut a small piece of lead from a battery terminal. and made it into a ball(best I could). The tip of my carrot would not pick it up. I couldn't believe it!! The TIP is what we use and depend on. Continuing up the carrot, I started to get a signal 3/4" up from the tip. Then another dead spot. Moving closer to the light, signal again, all the way to the light. This is going to change how I use my pinpointer.

Richard

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a Whites TRX pinpointer may do the job.

Ask some of the guys,.... I only just got mine, only the tip is hot,..........
And it's Very sensitive.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I do not know why this is an issue. While I have not hunted birds since I was a teenager, my neighbor hunts birds on a regular basis, and we are frequently the grateful recipients of many a bird. Knowing that there may be shot, and that we will likely not find all before cooking, careful chewing is always in order.

Having young grandchildren, we made a game and contest of it. First to find birdshot at dinner gets a prize. No broken teeth, crowns, or fillings yet.

Time for more coffee.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox with the small coil will pick up tiny shot like that easily. Some metals I use the Gold mode to get a better signal.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a friend that works in a Veterinarian office?

Have them X-Ray your game birds.

They can mark the location with a red marker.

Or slide them a few bucks and have the shot, (or arrow), surgically removed.

Dead duck.jpg

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would lean towards a whites pinpointer. Because only the tip is able to signal off. It would help to zero in on a certain area. I use the same technique on removing old nails from pallet wood, for various project's

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When eating game with bird shot it is best to just chew slowly and spit them out just like 200 years ago.I now days just use a napkin indiscreetly and remove them from my mouth. You will feel them never busted a crown yet. The new steel shot is harder you are right. I seem to get most out when cleaning.
Good luck !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tesoro Outlaw can pick those small pieces without much trouble. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions